Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Reverse popping out of gear, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reverse popping out of gear, Please Help!

I have a 1995 Acura Integra LS, Stock LS transmission with a Turbo B20B. My problem is everytime I got to backup if i dont hold the stick in reverse it will pop out of reverse. If I take my hand off the shifter and ease off the clutch it will pop out as soon as the car starts to move. I have been messing with the car a while, and this is not so much a problem but more of an annoyance. Main thing is I want it fixed and I need to know what I can check before pulling the transmission. I have already changed the fluid with syncromesh, all that did was make it shift a little easier no help with the reverse popping out.

Last edited by JohnstonOctober; 09-13-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reverse popping out of gear, Please Help!

I am not sure how much help this will be, but on my EM1 when I first got it 5th gear was hard to get into and reverse most of the time wouldn't even engage unless I forced it into place after shifting through all the gears a bunch of times and would randomly pop out of reverse as well. Turns out my bushings for the change rod and shifter were basically gone, threw in a skunk2 dual bend and energy suspension shifter bushings and it basically fixed my issues. Still had some minor issues with 5th & reverse, but that was due to worn internals, the old worn bushings weren't helping.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That was probably my first thing to check. I will check after work, havent had to much time to look at it yet. It didnt start doing this till about 2 weeks ago. It was fine when I got it a few months ago. Everything on the damn car was fine till I installed a my turbo. Now i got body rattling noise, unstability at highway speeds. To much to name bunch of small stuff, seems like I spend a little money on the car and it decides to fall apart. Doesnt really matter got crazy plans for the car, I just am not planning to pull the tranny so soon. Guy I got the car from showed me videos where he rebuilt the transmission and put a LSD in it when he installed the b20. I mean he did a damn good job with the swap its clean under the hood and everything, He seemed like he knew what he was talking about, but i am concerned he didnt get something right or something. I will say comparing it to 1st-5th it seems like it doesnt go all the way into reverse.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wouldn't be a bad idea to see if the pin that holds the change rod to the transmission is actually there, sometimes they get lost and people don't want to buy another so they use a bolt and nut and that causes some slop. Typically that effects every gear though.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will do, Gonna try to check it all in a little bit. Will report what I find, hopefully something I really dont want to pull the transmission right now, then again I can deal with it for a little while.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The pin is there, The shifter has very little slop in it. I pulled the cover off the shifter and everything is tight other than a little up and down play. The shift rod has no play in it what so ever. So I am leaning to think that my reverse gear is messed up. I have noticed that I can hold it there and reverse fine but if i try to back up a pretty steep slope to make the car actually pull in reverse I cant hold it in reverse it will force it to jump out even with my hand on it and grind.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:04 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Seeing as how your dc2 is very old, very very old, yes the bushings would be something to consider.