Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Regular Maintenance for higher mileage engines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular Maintenance for higher mileage engines?

I bought a 98 GSR w/ 80K miles on it about 3 months ago. I am due for an oil change in like a week or two and I was thinking to myself what other maintenance things need to be done. I know I can take it to Acura for 75 bucks and have them do a complete check of it and let me know everything that is wrong, but I don't have the time nor do I want to.

I know at like 100K the timing belt needs to be replaced but what about valve adjustments, tune-ups, etc.???
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Regular Maintenance for higher mileage engines? (btl fed)

i just did timing belt, water pump, valve clearance, seals, ignition stuff, filters, tensioner, belts, coolant, plugs/wires, ect...at 86,000 miles and i'm glad i did it then....bent valves suck!!!

my timing belt was loose, all the valves were out of adjustment, and the seals were leaking just a little bit and by looking the the cap and plugs, it looked like it was a good time to do it all....

Old 03-31-2003, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Regular Maintenance for higher mileage engines? (NeoGSR)

did you do it all yourself??? how much did it cost???

I have never done anything like a valve adjustment before but I would like to start. How do I find out how to do one...along with other engine maintenance.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:28 AM

no, let my mechanic do it....it's not cheap, but neither is breaking something on your own time....

expect to pay about 800
Old 03-31-2003, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want to do it yourself, it will cost you 1/4 of what it would cost you to pay all that labor and the main reason i would want to do my own cars maintainence is because i wouln't want to be dependent on some one else for little things like changing dist caps and valve adjustments. If you want to learn how to take care of your car, you have to do it yourself. As long as you have the right tools.

For information on how to do most of these regular maintenances go to http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto.php you should learn how to do regular maintenance because regular means more than once in a while
Old 04-01-2003, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Regular Maintenance for higher mileage engines? (GSRacer1)

If you know the maintenance history, then just keep going by the schedule. Timing belt at 90k, I think. Air filter, transmission oil, & valve adjustment every 30k, all that stuff is in the owner's manual. Won't hurt to replace the distributor cap, rotor, & plug wires if you don't know how old they are. Inspect all the coolant hoses & drive belts really good to see if they're starting to rot.

Change the coolant & bleed the brakes & clutch unless you KNOW that its been done. Should be every 2 years or so. You can't measure those things to see if they're still good.

If you don't really know the history, then do the stuff that's supposed to be done every 30k, right now. 'Cause you don't know how long its been...

A shop manual (www.helminc.com) will be worth it if you want to start doing stuff yourself. Valve adjustment is fairly easy.