Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

RAIN WATER LEAKS into my cabin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: RAIN WATER LEAKS into my cabin!!!

any success with your fix??

mine has been sitting in the exact same spot on the driveway and still striped since october and now it rarely leaks anymore...??! its driving me crazy... sometimes a puddle-sometimes nothing.

i hate water leaks. =[
Old 01-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HatchEh2
any success with your fix??

mine has been sitting in the exact same spot on the driveway and still striped since october and now it rarely leaks anymore...??! its driving me crazy... sometimes a puddle-sometimes nothing.

i hate water leaks. =[
yes actually, turns out it was a small crack in the urethane on the factory windshield around the bottom on the passenger side, found it with soapy water and compressed air.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Trial User

Default Re: RAIN WATER LEAKS into my cabin!!! (SOLVED)

I know this is an OLD thread, so if anyone is still driving one of these gems, and it's leaking... read on.

My fast car is an 89' Accord LX-i with ~300k miles. To date I've had 2 mysterious water leaks, 1 being obvious (clogged drains from sunroof).

Symptoms: Interior leak - water pooling in the floor after a pretty good rain. Can be either side front, or like in my case the passenger rear ONLY. Car was usually parked on my steep driveway, with the nose higher than the tail. Passenger front was dry, drivers side dry front and back.

Symptoms: Trunk leak, water pooling in spar tire well.

Resolution: Interior leak - at the junction where the door frame, cowl, and inner fender meet, there is a tack weld, and lots of seam sealer. This will be just behind, and toward the outside of the hood hinges as seen with the hood up. You can see just a fraction of this area because the fender is concealing it. Upon removal of the fender (passenger for me, driver's would be similar), the entire area is visible. Look for cracks, flaking, rust around the edge, in the factory seam sealer. Mine was all of those things, and I just picked it off with my fingers (seam sealer). Underneath it was that big junction, a fair amount of rust, and lots of ways for water to get in! When water did get in, it didn't drip straight into the cabin, it ran between the body panels and to the rear of my vehicle. There it exited some how and would flood the rear passenger floor pan. No need to remove spot welds or anything like that, just get some good seam sealer, and reseal all the voids were these panels come together. I'd also hit your top door hinge while your there, it probably is pretty rotten. That's it!

Resolution: Trunk leak – this leak was very difficult to track down. By the time I found it I had literaly sealed the light assemblies to the trunk and fender, and it still leaked. Turns out the water is coming in at the light, but not at the light seal. It's another body panel union that has brittle seam sealer, or it's no longer present (like my case). Remove your tail light on the suspected leak side, bend down and look up at the fender cavity where the light sits. You'll see there's a seem, I could shine light from inside the trunk, and see it through the body seam. This leak occurred once there was sufficient water collecting on the top of the light assembly to drain from the top, into the trunk! PIA, but now fixed

Hope this helps someone. I've taken some photos for clarification, and there's a video in there too.

Here's the link: https://plus.google.com/photos/11107...CP-Yv_K1zuzUCw

Last edited by CPUNeck; 02-06-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: GP
Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RAIN WATER LEAKS into my cabin!!! (SOLVED)

Man you are a lifesaver im going to try this on my 96 civic hatchback and hopefully that is the problem ill post up to tell you the results
Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Trial User

I just bought a 1992 honda accord EX 2 weeks ago, after having it a week, it had rained, and i noticed it leaking water from the passenger side under glove box area around the blower motor. I know its water, not antifreeze. I also noticed weather stripping around windshield is crappy and someone had previously put silicon around it in some areas. I blew out the sunroof drain holes, put some silicon around the whole windshield, took the cowl plastic piece off, nothing was clogging it at all, weather stripping was all good around the cowl, sunroof drain tubes wernt clogged, nothing seems to be wrong, but after siliconing the window it still leaks and its frustrating me. Back when I got my license, i had a 90 accord and the only place it leaked was the trunk due to honda cancer, loved that car so much that 6 other cars down the road and several years later i bought another one. With only 160k on it, and minimal rust, i wanna try to fix the few issues it has starting with this one lol. any help would be appreciated! thanks guys!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi,
I know this is an old thread but I found some info from Honda regarding an almost identical problem on 5th Civics. Here is a link to the pdf http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...95277229,d.aWw
Old 03-20-2016, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy thread revival but i gotta get my .02 cents in here and hopwfully some auggestions from other users. I have seen two civics do this now, here in Canada rust is a problem. Finally found a clean coupe but it had a water leak and after much investigation i have found it. No idea how im gonna patch it.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These cars are NOTORIOUS for water leaking on the passenger side!!! Can't say anything for the driver side, I never had a problem there. However I had the same issue! I took off my cowl, and under that, there is a second plastic piece on the passenger side, half the size of the cowl. Under that, there is a plastic square piece that snaps on to the metal, just above the blower motor. Believe it or not, that small plastic "rectangular" piece also has weather stripping on it! I replaced my stripping with some thin all weather door seal from Wal Mart. Replace any place there was OEM stripping. When I put my cowl pieces back on, I put black adhesive silicone on all my plastic clips. I also put a piece of tape on my windshield, just above the cowl, and rubbed the black silicone along the length of the windshield, making sure that it was getting under the cowl, so water had no choice but to go around it rather than under it! You'll want to peel off the tape while the silicone is still wet. It's a 24 hour wait, by my car hasn't showed any signs of water getting in the passenger side (right where the ECU is!) The time is worth it because the water WILL DAMAGE YOUR ECU! It happened to me! As I was writing this, the photos loaded up. Personally I have had EXCELLENT luck with fiberglass repair! Get that metal clean and fiberglass it! It will be flexible, weather resistant, and likely outlast your car! (dont use too much, or you just have a lot of sanding to do. It hardens really fast, so do small amounts at a time. It's also a mess, and in the end youll find its easier just to use your bare hands and wash the crap off later, rather than trying to use a piece of wood, or rubber gloves!)

Last edited by trm4life; 03-27-2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: XD
Old 03-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to know!! I have decided im going to cut it out and weld in a new peice, i want it fixed properly, and I have a buddy thats a body guy at a resto shop thats going to come give me a hand. If he thinks its to hard to fix, ill go for fiberglass and rub seam sealer allll over it. Probably outlast the car anyways your right.