Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   Q's on civic style radiator and end tanks (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/qs-civic-style-radiator-end-tanks-2221344/)

FuNkDrSpOt 02-09-2008 09:43 PM

Q's on civic style radiator and end tanks

My radiator is leaking so I'm looking at getting another one. Since I have a turbo setup waiting for me, i thought I'd just buy a civic style radiator now and kill 2 birds with one stone. I have a couple questions I'm having trouble finding and searching about regarding radiators though:

1. For the civic style radiators, what year is best to buy for a close fit for the g3 integras? 92-95 or 96-00? Or, is there a company that makes a custom application for civic-style radiators for g3? Similar to this one: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2171453

2. What is a good company or specific model to go with? Is there really any difference between a $160 radiator ( some off brand aluminum type ) and a $400 one ( like a Koyo )?

3. I keep hearing about plastic and aluminum end tanks. What are they?

Thanks for your help.

1fstdc2 02-09-2008 10:53 PM

make sure your turbo set up doesnt hit the radiator..i put a hole in my integra radiator...so then i bought a si one....

FuNkDrSpOt 02-10-2008 01:48 AM

Re: (1fstdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fstdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure your turbo set up doesnt hit the radiator..i put a hole in my integra radiator...so then i bought a si one....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I appreciate the attempt at helping me but my integra radiator is already leaking and I already KNOW i need a civic style one for the turbo setup.

The SI one you bought, did it just drop right in or did it require some mods? Was it a half-sized one like regular civics?

UmbraDc2K 02-10-2008 01:55 AM

Re: (FuNkDrSpOt)

It should be a half radiator that would be safer to use with the turbo. It won't hit at all. As for mounting you might have to add a bracket. I'm not so sure on that because all the half radiators I used I put on DA Integras. The whole bracket thing was what I've been told so don't quote me on it.

jdm tommy 02-10-2008 07:59 AM

for civic radiators you have to weld a lower bracket in. also the no name radiators arent as thick as the koyos i believe. stock radiators have plastic end tanks and alum radiators have aluminum ones.

FuNkDrSpOt 02-10-2008 01:00 PM

Re: (jdm tommy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm tommy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for civic radiators you have to weld a lower bracket in. also the no name radiators arent as thick as the koyos i believe. stock radiators have plastic end tanks and alum radiators have aluminum ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess what I'm asking is what the hell is an end tank? I've heard of some aluminum radiators having plastic end tanks.

FuNkDrSpOt 02-11-2008 01:40 AM

bump, someone just tell me what the hell an end tank is.

FuNkDrSpOt 02-11-2008 12:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump, someone just tell me what the hell an end tank is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

CleanLikeJdm 02-11-2008 12:10 PM

The top, and bottom.

GSR-C5 02-11-2008 12:32 PM

you will need to weld a second lower radiator suppourt to fit a half core "civic" radiator in a DC.

the end tanks is where the coolant collects in the rad after and before it past thur the radiator, usally the thicker rad will hold more coolant/more cooling. if you going turbo go with a full aluminum dual core half rad"civic" to clear teh turbo and DP.

GL _kase

FuNkDrSpOt 02-11-2008 01:47 PM

Re: (CleanLikeJdm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CleanLikeJdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The top, and bottom.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSR-C5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you will need to weld a second lower radiator suppourt to fit a half core "civic" radiator in a DC.

the end tanks is where the coolant collects in the rad after and before it past thur the radiator, usally the thicker rad will hold more coolant/more cooling. if you going turbo go with a full aluminum dual core half rad"civic" to clear teh turbo and DP.

GL _kase</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you both for answering my ridiculously stupid question. I KNEW it was something like that but I wanted to be sure.

I'm quite surprised the civic radiator in the Integra isn't in the FAQ thread.

MattyP 02-11-2008 03:48 PM

I have a PWR Half Size that came out of a 92-95 Civic in my ITR, i love it, PM me and i might send you some pictures...

GSR-C5 02-12-2008 06:47 AM

not a problem dude, glad i can help. i'm doing teh samething when i go turbo in a few weeks

bfatdaintegra 01-02-2009 08:59 PM

Re: Q's on civic style radiator and end tanks

when i put my half radiatorin i made my own mounting plate out of scrap steel from work just made 2 holes on some thin plate steel,welded it to the crossmember and made some bad ass aluminum core support mounts and self tapped them to the core support it worked perfect never came loose or leaked at all

bonesx0x2x4x 01-31-2011 09:33 AM

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/12sialraslfa.html

run this on my dc turbo and it cools great....like the guy above me said i made my own mounting bracket it was pretty easy...car makes 328whp and has no overheating problems plus can weld a fitting for the oil and water cooled turbos like mine....this one comes with a slim fan combo for very cheap

bradysyde 01-31-2011 01:54 PM

x2^^ I run the same one. Ls at 317

94VTEC2TONE 02-02-2011 02:36 PM

go autoworks makes a badass setup. i ran one i picked up off a guy for super cheap. make a custom bracket cut into my lower core support bolted it right back up and it works like a charm. best way imo is to drill out the stock spot welds and weld a new bracket it. that would be the cleanest look

racebum 02-02-2011 02:52 PM

Re: (1fstdc2)

Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt (Post 32396708)
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fstdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure your turbo set up doesnt hit the radiator..i put a hole in my integra radiator...so then i bought a si one....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I appreciate the attempt at helping me but my integra radiator is already leaking and I already KNOW i need a civic style one for the turbo setup.

The SI one you bought, did it just drop right in or did it require some mods? Was it a half-sized one like regular civics?

actually you don't but might depending on the manifold you use

the best cheap option for a good half is the misimoto x line, it's a $200 triple core

read this thread about full size, there are some benefits to staying with the big radiator if you ever race

https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/question-cooling-turbo-half-full-rad-hpde-2890947/

PatrickGSR94 02-02-2011 06:24 PM

You're replying to a post from 2 years ago man :P

bonesx0x2x4x 02-02-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 44574148)
You're replying to a post from 2 years ago man :P

bro its a sticky thread it stays up at the top its about something that everyone thinks about when they do high performance builds:truth:

racebum 02-02-2011 06:44 PM

so you're the two year old bumper........

bonesx0x2x4x 02-02-2011 06:55 PM

hahaha

cdrive 11-18-2014 04:55 PM

Its the sides of the radiator

TunerN00b 11-19-2014 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by cdrive (Post 50065705)
Its the sides of the radiator

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...e08b74f0c6.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...bdf745c8bd.jpg