Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Proper way to refill power steering fluid?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper way to refill power steering fluid?

Im flushing out the old non honda ps steering fluid and replacing with oem.

Is there a proper way to do this?

In the past I just undid the lower hose and turned the wheel back and forth with the engine on and let it all come out...
Old 12-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...then slowly fill the resevoir while a buddy turns the wheel completely in each direction back and forth so that it bubbles, until it is full.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

non-Honda PS fluid. Hope there isn't any damage to your power steering components. Any idea if the old fluid said it was made to use with Honda PS units?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to though in the situation. Its been in there for probably about 1 month. I think itll be ok.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm a Jackass

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
non-Honda PS fluid. Hope there isn't any damage to your power steering components. Any idea if the old fluid said it was made to use with Honda PS units?
Do you know why non honda PS fluid would cause damage? Obviously Honda tells you to use oem stuff and oem stuff only. Do all other brands add a harmful additive or something?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neardon
Do you know why non honda PS fluid would cause damage? Obviously Honda tells you to use oem stuff and oem stuff only. Do all other brands add a harmful additive or something?
I've seen non OEM PS fluid that specifically stated "safe for use in Honda applications", but couldn't find any information as to what was different.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't know how to drain the fluid(my pump exploded saving me the trouble) but it takes a little over 3 bottles to refill. you just fill the res, then start your car and turn the wheel all the way to the left. then you shut off your car, refill the res, start your car, and turn the wheel all the way to the right. then top off the res again and go back and forth. if you don't turn the car off when i said, your res runs dry and you suck air into your ****....then you either have to wait it out, or drain and refill.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dose anybody know the proper way to drain and replace the ps fluid?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Take the power steering resevoir off the bracket and disconnect the return hose. The return hose is the one that goes into the side of the resevoir. Have a bucket or container in handy to put all the ps fluid that you will drain.

2. Start the car and let it idle. Turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock (all the way left and all the way right) several times. Turn the engine off when ps fluid stops running out of the hose.

3. Connect the return hose back to the resevoir. Fill the resevoir all the way to the upper line. Start the engine and run it at a fast idle about 1000-1500 rpm and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times to bleed the air out of the system. Recheck the fluid level and add ps fluid if necessary.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BAYsikDC4
1. Take the power steering resevoir off the bracket and disconnect the return hose. The return hose is the one that goes into the side of the resevoir. Have a bucket or container in handy to put all the ps fluid that you will drain.

2. Start the car and let it idle. Turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock (all the way left and all the way right) several times. Turn the engine off when ps fluid stops running out of the hose.

3. Connect the return hose back to the resevoir. Fill the resevoir all the way to the upper line. Start the engine and run it at a fast idle about 1000-1500 rpm and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times to bleed the air out of the system. Recheck the fluid level and add ps fluid if necessary.
thanks for posting this~!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Draining the fluid is easier said than done. The lengths of the hoses make it almost impossible to get a container underneath the reservoir to drain the fluid out.

As for the fluid, check out this page:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...?Category=3282

Look down at the last several items at the bottom, they all say they meet GM/Chrysler/Ford specs, and they specifically say NOT FOR USE IN HONDA/ACURA VEHICLES.

I know many Toyotas use Dexron III ATF as a power steering fluid, but that is definitely the WRONG thing for Hondas, also.

Also see this post, this guy used a PS fluid not made for use in Hondas and reported the pump making terrible groaning sounds the fluid in the reservoir was all foamy: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...&TopicID=41562