Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

thinking of upgrading my clutch and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of upgrading my clutch and flywheel

i was wondering would getting a fidanza flywheel be unecessary for my setup as of right now. I currently have I/E/H and i need to upgrade my clutch so i was considering of upgrading my flywheel while i was down there. Good or not good.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thinking of upgrading my clutch and flywheel

Upgrading your flywheel will be fine. I just put in an Exedy OEM replacement and an Exedy 9.5lb flywheel. I like it a lot.. people have said that light flywheels are hard to get the car moving with and that RPM's drop really fast, but it's not hard at all to drive with. Whoever says those things just must be really bad drivers.. But no, it won't hurt anything and I'm sure you'll like it. Besides you might as well do it while you're changing the clutch.

Since you have just basic I/H/E, just go with either the Exedy OEM replacement or a Stage 1 from another reputable company. Anything more is kind of overkill for basic stuff like that. You could get away with a Stage 2, but anything higher, I wouldn't recommend.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from what i know,anything less then 10lbs hurt driveabilty.. 10lbs and less is used for road course and constant high rpm racing... not if your at the track ( dead stop ) the extra light weight had less inertia.. example..at idel your flywheel rotates between 500-750rpms. the light weight makes it harder to move off from a stop ( causes a bogging feeling ). same happens at 2500 launch... ect.

a light weight flywheel is a great upgrade... better accelration is noticed. as well as less driveabilty... i wouldnt recomend a flywheel less the 10lbs for a daily driver, or unless you do road course were the engine is in constant high rpm.

but its your dessision. just my .02
Old 04-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fsg231
from what i know,anything less then 10lbs hurt driveabilty.. 10lbs and less is used for road course and constant high rpm racing... not if your at the track ( dead stop ) the extra light weight had less inertia.. example..at idel your flywheel rotates between 500-750rpms. the light weight makes it harder to move off from a stop ( causes a bogging feeling ). same happens at 2500 launch... ect.

a light weight flywheel is a great upgrade... better accelration is noticed. as well as less driveabilty... i wouldnt recomend a flywheel less the 10lbs for a daily driver, or unless you do road course were the engine is in constant high rpm.

but its your dessision. just my .02
I just said those myths are false. Having a light weight flywheel doesn't make the car harder to drive at all. It's not hard to get the car going nor is it easier to stall out. There is hardly any difference in drivability.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car will buck more when you let your foot off the ground and coasting in gear wont get you as far. Not sure if lightweight flywheel will kill more gas mileage but i think it will.

OEM is 18 pounds right? i think that is too heavy, maybe something something like 13 or 14 would be good but those dont seem too common.

exedy stage 1 is the way to go. stiffer pedal + lower engagement over stock. and it engages real smooth unlike those 6 puck clutches
Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exedy Stage 1 is what Im goin wit and I pretty much have the same setup as you
Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 PM

ya i drove an integra with a stage 2 clutch, not sure how much that weighs but it is very easy i love it better than stock, i want one now
Old 04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was looking at ebay and i could get a exedy oem replacement and fidanza flywheel for about 300$. I know the clutch is find but is the flywheel too light for my setup. Keep in mind guys that i do hope to one day build my head but that will be later in the future.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So whats so good about having a lightend flywheel?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IntegraCF21
Upgrading your flywheel will be fine. I just put in an Exedy OEM replacement and an Exedy 9.5lb flywheel. I like it a lot.. people have said that light flywheels are hard to get the car moving with and that RPM's drop really fast, but it's not hard at all to drive with. Whoever says those things just must be really bad drivers.. But no, it won't hurt anything and I'm sure you'll like it. Besides you might as well do it while you're changing the clutch.

Since you have just basic I/H/E, just go with either the Exedy OEM replacement or a Stage 1 from another reputable company. Anything more is kind of overkill for basic stuff like that. You could get away with a Stage 2, but anything higher, I wouldn't recommend.
i have an exedy flywheel in my gsr and shifting at lower rpm (3-4k) is a pita because of how fast the rpm drop. i didn't mind it at first but it got annoying after a while. also, it seemed to kill the low-end torque. my stock si feels like it has 2x the torque of the gsr. i wouldn't recommend a flywheel that light.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

less rotaional mass on the engine...faster accelration throught the rpms. a little less load. faster engine decelration aswell...
Old 04-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just said those myths are false. Having a light weight flywheel doesn't make the car harder to drive at all. It's not hard to get the car going nor is it easier to stall out. There is hardly any difference in drivability.
there not "myths" its third grade science..remember the rope with the weight at the end..the light one was harder to get swinging...the heaver one was alot easier ... inertica... " abilty for a mass in motion to stay in motion "
Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the lighter the flywheel the higher your rpms raise at a faster rate, they also drop at a faster rate. It doesnt make the car stall more or less. You not knowing how to use your clutch and pre gass/balancing the clutch properly results that. Light flywheel makes less stress on everything to turn it, gives more response when needed and keeps it.

If your losing power torque and or anything else it isnt going to come from the flywheel being faster or lighter or heavier its because your still driving the car like you were when you had everything stock. Upon change of parts liek these you adjust your driving too because EVERYTHING changes. The flywheel is still doing its job, this part doesnt change it just simply does it faster in both directions downshifting and upshifting. You just need to adjust how you drive, obviously its going to change, thats like anything clearly.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^installing a lighter flywheel DOES make it easier to stall the car. the flywheel now has less inertia, and letting off the throttle at low rpm or not pressing the throttle hard enough makes stalling more likely.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my question is if the fidanza flywheel too light for my setup.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an act street lite and act stage 1 clutch. There really was no real difference in driveability. the rpms would fall a little quicker but just noticeable if at all. I wish i got the pro lite.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redline760
my question is if the fidanza flywheel too light for my setup.
if it's one of those 7.5 lb or whatever flywheels, i'd say it's too light. i consider my 9.8 lb flywheel too light, i'd recommend something in the teens.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vladd
if it's one of those 7.5 lb or whatever flywheels, i'd say it's too light. i consider my 9.8 lb flywheel too light, i'd recommend something in the teens.

plus one for "Vladd" someone who has passed elementry school
Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was also thimking in getting a new clutch and flywheel but i also heard dont go to light
Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sixfourkiller
i was also thimking in getting a new clutch and flywheel but i also heard dont go to light
read the whole thread... then make think why or why not to go "too lite"
Old 04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fsg231

plus one for "Vladd" someone who has passed elementry school
do i get a gold star?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey vladd how about the exedy fw its 9.5lbs.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redline760
hey vladd how about the exedy fw its 9.5lbs.
i have an exedy flywheel in my gsr and shifting at lower rpm (3-4k) is a pita because of how fast the rpm drop. i didn't mind it at first but it got annoying after a while. also, it seemed to kill the low-end torque. my stock si feels like it has 2x the torque of the gsr. i wouldn't recommend a flywheel that light.
^there's what i think of the exedy. it's fun to drive with at higher rpm, but in regular 3-4k rpm driving it got annoying after a while. shifting at 3k i'd either have to shift super quick or blip the throttle before letting out the clutch because the rpm would be too low by the time i got the shifter into the next gear.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^installing a lighter flywheel DOES make it easier to stall the car. the flywheel now has less inertia, and letting off the throttle at low rpm or not pressing the throttle hard enough makes stalling more likely.
If the person knows how to drive a manual, they won't stall it. I still have yet to stall on this 9.5lb flywheel and I basically learned how to really drive a 5 speed with it after I did the auto->manual swap. So if they made it so much easier to stall out, then I would have since I was basically a beginner at that time. What you say is true, but it's really not that significant of a difference(stalling out) as compared to a heavier flywheel as to where it would be a "problem" for most people.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the person knows how to drive a manual, they won't stall it. I still have yet to stall on this 9.5lb flywheel and I basically learned how to really drive a 5 speed with it after I did the auto->manual swap. So if they made it so much easier to stall out, then I would have since I was basically a beginner at that time. What you say is true, but it's really not that significant of a difference(stalling out) as compared to a heavier flywheel as to where it would be a "problem" for most people.
your logic doesn't make sense here. if you learned how to drive 5-speed on the light flywheel, then that's all you know and that's the only thing you're used to. on the other hand, if somebody has driven with a standard flywheel for a few years, getting used to the lighter flywheel will be more difficult for them. regardless as to what you're used to, with the flywheel having less inertia the motor is easier to stall, period. with everything else the same, when you let off the throttle the motor with the lighter flywheel will stall faster than the motor with the oem flywheel.

Quick Reply: thinking of upgrading my clutch and flywheel