Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Ping/detonation sound while accelerating and no power at high rpms.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ping/detonation sound while accelerating and no power at high rpms.

It's weird cause it only starts doing it once the engine is warm, I have a feeling I need a new distributor but I don't wanna spend 450 if I don't have to, I've tried adjusting timing and a valve adjustment, also checked to see if anything is loose and couldn't find anything.

When the engine is still cold you don't hear the noise and the engine runs fine but once it's at running temperature it is bad, every gear pretty much whenever I'm accelerating unless I'm accelerating softly.

Also once the engine is warm it seems to loose power at higher rpms, about 4-5k but I haven't really stepped on it as I'm afraid to hurt something.

Last thing is again once engine is warm it is idling high at 1.5k rpms, when I start it and drive for a bit it seems fine idles a bit high when cold as normal then drops down to just under 1k, but once it's warm it jumps up to 1.5k and I don't understand what's wrong.

Engine is a b18a1, 5 speed if it helps.

Any help is much appreciated if you guys know anything let me know thanks.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ping/detonation sound while accelerating and no power at high rpms.

Also it seems to be burning a bit more gas then usual.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

sounds like timing belt may have jumped.
hit it with a timing light, mine wouldnt dial
in as intake cam was off a notch.
or just pull valve cover and check crank/cam alignment.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tamboo
sounds like timing belt may have jumped.
hit it with a timing light, mine wouldnt dial
in as intake cam was off a notch.
or just pull valve cover and check crank/cam alignment.
I recently replaced a head gasket and when I put it all back together I made sure everything was top dead centre and I don't thing the belt has jumped since as I haven't drove it much, the car sat for a while before I did all that so that could be a problem, do you think any sensors or vacuum line failure could cause any this? I will check the timing but I don't think that's it.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

This seems to be a ECT sensor issue, once the engine reaches op temp the ECT sensor tells the ecu the engines temp to compensate the fuel values too, if its faulty you will have issues once the engine gets warm. check/test the wiring first then try a new sensor. A faulty ECT sensor can cause major issues on the engines performance and can cause unsafe lean conditions. I had a bad wire connection on a ECT sensor once and it caused a world of issues on my boosted integra and basically the engine ran extremely lean and would not operate because the ecu was reading the ect temp at like 300 deg and it was a cold dead night which gave it away along with the hondata readings.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
This seems to be a ECT sensor issue, once the engine reaches op temp the ECT sensor tells the ecu the engines temp to compensate the fuel values too, if its faulty you will have issues once the engine gets warm. check/test the wiring first then try a new sensor. A faulty ECT sensor can cause major issues on the engines performance and can cause unsafe lean conditions. I had a bad wire connection on a ECT sensor once and it caused a world of issues on my boosted integra and basically the engine ran extremely lean and would not operate because the ecu was reading the ect temp at like 300 deg and it was a cold dead night which gave it away along with the hondata readings.
thanks for the info man. I have a feeling thats what is wrong, I had a spare one which I know is good and I just finished switching them around, about to take it for a drive and see if it's better.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Changing the sensor seems to fix the high idle, but it still seemed to be idling around 1200 and I remember it idling around 800ish so I adjusted the idle screw (not sure the actual name) and it's idling around 1k even. I'm not sure if it's normal but it doesn't seem to drop down until the car is at a stop, so like coming up to a red light or stop sign and push the clutch in while still rolling it will idle around 1500 until I'm basically fully stopped which seems odd to me,

all that being said I'm still having the ping/detonation sound happening and it's so bad I barely want to drive the car, I took a look at the distributor and noticed the rotor has a bit of play in it and seems to wiggle around more than it should and the screw holding it in is too stripped to be able to get out, could this be causing the detonation issue?

Also now that it is idling lower I seem to be able to hear the valves alot more than I should be, is it possible that either the valves being to loose or to tight could cause this problem,

Also there is no CEL currently lighting up.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or could I have a bent valve or something like that and mistake it for the sound of detonation, I also have a spare set of valves and springs if I need to change them out, but recently took my valve spring compressor to the store so I don't wanna have to go that route ahah.

Again any info is much appreciated.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Decided to try to take a look and make sure everything was still TDC, both cams were back further than they should so I decided I would line everything back up and put the belt back on, did that went to start it, started fine and ran great for like 5 seconds then started bogging kind of and just isn't running right at all, I'm about fed up with the car at this moment but it's my only vehicle and only way of getting around but I'm just lost on what is going on with it, anyone been having issues like this? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with the timing or something but I'm really getting pushed lol
Old 05-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

i had all kinds of issues after replacing ect sensor due to air in the cooling system.
lots of bogging til i got it bled properly. definitely check your valves if you havent adjusted them
within the last 2 years.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Everything has been fixed other than I'm still loosing power at high rpms, I don't know how to explain it other than it seems like the clutch is slipping but I really don't think that's what is happening. I can drive normally through the rpms and it all seems fine but if I step on the gas it just seems to pretty much do nothing, in first it will rev out but go no where and the sound of the engine doesn't sound normal which is why I don't believe it to be the clutch.

Sorry if this isn't the best explanation of what is happening i just haven't really drove the car very hard with all this happening cause I don't want to wreck anything.