Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

PatrickGSR94's broken@$$ Integra fix-it thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: PatrickGSR94's broken@$$ Integra fix-it thread!

Well now I've gone and done it. I pulled the oil control orifice out of the block so I could replace the crust o-ring on there, but now I can't seem to find the orifice piece. All this time I've taken great care to keep parts organized and in order, using plastic bags or arranged on the work bench, but now I can't find that little thing at all.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by far the most frustrating thing in the garage, reminds me of this LOL (saw PWJDM post it on FB this morning)

Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yep, happens a lot to me.

I went ahead and ordered that oil orifice this morning, plus the two o-rings for the water pipe and the o-ring for the water temp sensor. $10 in parts, $15 in shipping and handling.

And of course I WILL find that orifice this weekend I'm sure.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The little magnet trays saved my butt more than once. Inexpensive and handy for little things/fasteners that might otherwise go missing. The best thing to do is get a rectangle one, the circle ones don't hold as much.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
lol yep, happens a lot to me.

I went ahead and ordered that oil orifice this morning, plus the two o-rings for the water pipe and the o-ring for the water temp sensor. $10 in parts, $15 in shipping and handling.

And of course I WILL find that orifice this weekend I'm sure.
fairly sure they are sold separately at acura for a dollar or two
Old 07-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r
the permatorque is blue though. they used to be black afaik but now they make them blue.
unless they make a more basic mls headgasket besides the permatorque gasket.
no dont have a gsr
yes did the hg myself. not like its a difficult thing to do either.

how the hell can you say I didnt do the hg on my car? or are you implying that because I must not have a gsr theres no way I did the hg on my car, which is an ls.

anyways the permatorque specifically is black or blue, its not bare steel.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
unless they released something new since 2008 {which they may have}

the type r and gsr use a bare metal gasket. not the same as the permatorque you would use on an LS/RS b18b engine

the C engine uses 3 sheets of solid steel riveted together. think i remember seeing a black one somewhere but can't recall the brand
Old 07-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

woohoo huge thanks to IN VTEC for the new IAB vac tank. Now just gotta get the solenoid and I'll be back in business. Really don't want to start any assembly until I get that piece.

Also ordered all new drive belts from NAPA auto today. They carry the Bando brand of belts, of which the A/C belt I last got from Honda about 6 years ago had a Bando label on it. Oddly enough my other two drive belts with the Mitsuboshi label have the same part numbers as the Bando ones. Weird. $45 for all 3 belts. Last time I ordered them in like 2007 they were under $30 for all 3.

Still have to go to one of the parts stores and pick up a PCV valve, and some 9/32" vac hose for the PCV valve. Need to get some cheap oil and filter also for that initial start up.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fun trick on the pcv valve

the 94+ toyota supra turbo pcv valve fits the itr and should the gsr as well. it flows more volume than the OE honda and helps prevent crankcase pressure build in high rpm driving

it's also cheaper
Old 07-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will be getting a Supra Turbo PCV tomorrow
Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
Quote:

the permatorque is blue though. they used to be black afaik but now they make them blue.
unless they make a more basic mls headgasket besides the permatorque gasket.
no dont have a gsr
yes did the hg myself. not like its a difficult thing to do either.

how the hell can you say I didnt do the hg on my car? or are you implying that because I must not have a gsr theres no way I did the hg on my car, which is an ls.

anyways the permatorque specifically is black or blue, its not bare steel.

unless they released something new since 2008 {which they may have}

the type r and gsr use a bare metal gasket. not the same as the permatorque you would use on an LS/RS b18b engine

the C engine uses 3 sheets of solid steel riveted together. think i remember seeing a black one somewhere but can't recall the brand
the permatorque is pretty new, and all oem b series head gaskets are 3 layer mls head gaskets.

are you somehow mistaking the permatorque for a highly inferior graphite head gasket?

Old 07-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

come on guys please no arguing here

Who the heck makes a graphite head gasket??
Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the permatorque is pretty new, and all oem b series head gaskets are 3 layer mls head gaskets.

are you somehow mistaking the permatorque for a highly inferior graphite head gasket?

was just thinking back to a type r i rebuilt in 2008. ordered the fel pro HG and it was the same gasket as the honda one

3 layers of steel, either all polished or black on one side, can't quite remember which, wasn't blue though

at the time fel pro only had one HG for the b18c engines
Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
was just thinking back to a type r i rebuilt in 2008. ordered the fel pro HG and it was the same gasket as the honda one

3 layers of steel, either all polished or black on one side, can't quite remember which, wasn't blue though

at the time fel pro only had one HG for the b18c engines
Ah, yeah I think they used to be plain metal on one side, and black on the other. That's just a standard OEM style head gasket.

But I think within the past few years Felpro came out with the Permatorque line, that has some sort of coating on the layers themselves that cure after you run it in, and help seals it up better. I think the older permatorque are black and the newer ones are blue.

as for graphite head gaskets, I honestly don't think they make them for honda's. My old Z car uses them, and a lot of turbo guys run them specifically because they become the weak link on turbo engines and always blow out on the spark plug side. Saves your engine big time. I'd rather pop a gasket than pop a piston.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My OEM Honda HG I just got is coated black on both outer layers, uncoated silver middle layer. There's also an uncoated silver strip around the bottom layer that touches the top of the piston walls.

Anyone have any more info on using a Supra Turbo PCV valve? I just looked them up and it's a straight valve instead of having the 90° bend, so not sure how well that would fit with the hose. Maybe if I cut a piece of hose long enough so that it wouldn't kink when connecting it to the IM.

ANNNNNND I just found that stinking oil control orifice. I stuck it in with the HG on top of my tool box so I would remember to put it back in when I installed the HG. So, should I just go ahead and use this one or use the new one that's coming? Looks like I'll have an extra orifice and an extra brand new o-ring for it either way.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think this is the one you want

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2180&ppt=C0023
Old 07-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

huh weird, I looked on RockAuto and all the ones they showed for the Supra Turbo were straight. Oh well I was about to head up to O'Reilly right now anyway. Thanks for the link

I read where someone used one in their Honda B-series and it made the idle high or something, as if it was leaking too much vacuum or something. Maybe I should get one of both just to see what happens.

I do know that the PCV that was in my car was totally clogged up and not moving freely at all.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I noticed most are straight, but you can apparently get a 90 degree one from the toyota dealership. An MR2 guy did the same mod, and used one for a 95 supra TT. The OEM units are all metal too.

I guess it could make it idle a bit high if it has more flow. Makes sense. The valve cover is vented to the air intake, and the PCV goes from the block to the intake manifold, so technically the PCV is in a way a vacuum leak.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Verified- my new perma torque was in the premium fel-pro head gasket set. Its blue on the head side and was purchased about 2 years ago.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
huh weird, I looked on RockAuto and all the ones they showed for the Supra Turbo were straight. Oh well I was about to head up to O'Reilly right now anyway. Thanks for the link

I read where someone used one in their Honda B-series and it made the idle high or something, as if it was leaking too much vacuum or something. Maybe I should get one of both just to see what happens.

I do know that the PCV that was in my car was totally clogged up and not moving freely at all.
look while you're at orileys, pretty sure i used a beckarnley 94+ supra TT pcv and it was a 90deg, since you're not boosted you could also use a non turbo and be just fine. rock auto stock pics are probably just off. the honda pcv valves use a very small flow orifice, moving to the supra pcv will make it a replace and forget it part

idle is not affected even on a stock ecu. that is correct about a constant vac leak but it goes right to the black box which is the crankcase. you will still have over 20" of vacuum. i never did test to see if vac readings changed honda to toyota but the idle was identical on my p73-003 ecu

then again i did use a beck rather than a toyota. it's possible the oems flow more but i'm really just throwing out guesses. the beck pcv was like $5 and all plastic

the IACV can handle minor changes in airflow, you also have the TB set screw to use if need be
Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2BumpsticksGSR
Verified- my new perma torque was in the premium fel-pro head gasket set. Its blue on the head side and was purchased about 2 years ago.
for a gsr? hmm, news to me, wonder if it's a new gasket or just a blue version of the old one
Old 07-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I ordered the 90-deg Supra Turbo PCV shown in the link above, 7.99. They had to order it and it will be in Wednesday. Also ordered a brand new driver side axle to match the one I put on the passenger side last fall.

Picked up some cheap@$$ SuperTech 5w30 oil from WalMart (less than $3/qt), and a Purolator filter to use during initial startup and warmup. I'll probably drive it a bit to get the oil good and hot, then drain it and put my usual Mobil1 synthetic 0w30.

And got a couple feet of 3/8" hose to use with the PCV and also to replace the hose from the valve cover to the intake.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a good move. hope that pcv fits. i know it fits the b16/itr i just can't remember if the base of the gsr pcv is smaller. when i had a gsr i blew it up the same year i bought it so i didn't get a chance to do much to it. then of course i blew up an itr engine, got another itr engine, sold the car and the new owner blew that one up lol
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks to IN VTEC's generosity with the IAB tank, I decided to "pay it forward" by offering up for free a brand new ITR throttle cable bracket, which I had received by mistake in an order from Carland Acura a couple months back, in addition to all my parts I did order. I had no use for it so I just threw it up in the Marketplace and it was claimed within minutes.

Yesterday I picked up the new driver side axle from O'Reilly. Have to wait to Wednesday until I get the PCV valve. Today I picked up my new Bando accessory belts from NAPA.

Got a PM today saying my IAB solenoid should be here today or tomorrow. And when that comes I can FINALLY start the reassembly process!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YEAHHH now I have a fully intact (and hopefully functional) IAB system thanks to both IN VTEC and alwaystootall here on H-T.

Here's the carnage and leftover parts that it took to get this fully intact system lol, and the ripped PCV hose is shown also:

So I now have an intact spare IAB tank and bracket, anybody need it? If not I'm gonna put it in the marketplace.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I'm just about ready to throw the IM back onto the cylinder head. In the meantime I started pulling my driver side CV axle. Used the good ol' tried-n-true WTDR method for breaking the lower ball joint loose, then spun the axle nut off with the impact. That's about as far as I got on that.

Hmm maybe I'll go bolt the IM onto the head right now.

Still waiting on the o-rings for the water pipe between the thermostat housing and water pump, then FINALLY I'll be ready to install the head gasket and drop the head back on, and reassemble all the components into the cylinder head.

Quick Reply: PatrickGSR94's broken@$$ Integra fix-it thread!