Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

PatrickGSR94's broken@$$ Integra fix-it thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: PatrickGSR94's broken@$$ Integra fix-it thread!

No cruise control, huh? I use cruise all the time, even if the ABS light is on.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Come again? If it keeps failing I'll keep getting replacements for (basically) free. It was a 10 minute job to fix, and at least now I know exactly what the symptoms are.
Yeah but just don't have the same thing happen to me, to you. Car died on the road.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Yeah but just don't have the same thing happen to me, to you. Car died on the road.
That's exactly what happened when my original Honda OEM distributor went out. At least the replacement gave me some warning before it died completely.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

what i meant was cruise control can cause probs in wet/icy conditions.
i guess lack of abs could exacerbate if things get dicey under wrong conditions
but who knows. personally not impressed with abs/srs but feel free to prove me wrong.

Don?t Use Cruise Control In The Rain
Old 10-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so back at it again, chasing and fixing problems on this broken-*** car! I added some new stuff to the OP, and updated the ABS light issue.

Power steering pump is leaking, and timing belt is due. The ABS light I suspect *might* be from the unit leaking pressure. I purchased the two o-rings in the assembly that are replaceable: between the modulator and the pump motor, and between the modulator and the accumulator. I saw a YT video of a guy replacing those o-rings on a 94-97 Accord ABS pump unit, which is identical to the 94-97 Integra ABS unit. Didn't look too hard, so I'm going to give that a shot here pretty soon.

RockAuto has a set of PS pump o-rings and other parts to rebuild the PS pump, so I'm going to be ordering that soon.

Timing belt, who knows, probably after Christmas. It was last changed around 270K-ish in 2008 (when I had the engine out of the car to replace a crap load of stuff including clutch/flywheel also), and the car now has 361,600 miles. Probably going to go with the Gates belt/water pump kit this time, rather than OEM Honda. OEM is just too damn expensive, and I don't really drive the car enough anymore to make it worth it. I'm barely putting 5,000 miles a year on the car, if that. I'll probably do the PS pump rebuild at the same time, along with all new belts because PS fluid has been leaking on them for awhile.

Also picked up new brake and clutch pedal pads, because my OEM clutch pedal pad was completely worn through the metal, and falling off.

*edit* and of course, Photobucket has destroyed all the pics in this thread.
sooo yeah, since I made this post quoted above almost a year ago, I ordered the timing belt parts back in July, but didn't want to mess with working on the car in summer. Now it's almost winter and I'm about ready to do the job lol. I've put less than 5,000 miles on the car since that post above. I also just ordered a new oil pan gasket and FINALLY ordered the PS pump rebuild parts. So I'm hoping to get to work on this stuff in the next few weeks, before it becomes freezing cold outside.

For the timing belt parts I went with a kit on Amazon for less than 100 bucks, which includes an OEM Mitsuboshi timing belt, so that's pretty cool I guess. Also came with ALL the top end gaskets plus the crankshaft oil seal. I also just got a nice seal driver kit so I don't have to fumble around with hammering on a big socket to drive seals into place.

ABS light, it's still on, all the time now. I removed the ABS fuses by the shock tower so that the pump won't try to run all the time, which makes the ABS light stay on all the time. Maybe one of these days I'll just suck it up and spend $100 to $150 for a used replacement ABS pump so that I'll have a functioning system again. If I ever get rid of the car, I don't want to be unloading it with a non-functioning ABS system.

So that's it for now. I've been all into the world of Obsessed Garage by Matt Moreman here these past few months, and gotten back into car detailing since my wife now has a car worth detailing (my Integra is not worth it lol). So I'm going to be putting the car up on ramps soon and trying to pressure wash all the old oil and gunk off the bottom of the engine and oil pan before I start this work. Maybe that way it won't be quite so nasty, and hopefully I'll be able to catch any new leaks relatively early.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And on a side note, all my Photobucket pics in this thread are working again!
Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Recently put new tires on my OEM wheels, which have been mostly sitting on the shelf these past 10 years with only sporadic use. The 195/55-15 Kumho rock-hard worn tires were over 14 years old!!! Before taking them to the tire shop I gave the barrels a good scrubbin' so they would have a fresh surface for the stick-on weights.

Only the 2nd time to wash the car in the past year haha. These wheels need new paint bad!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

What did you use to get the barrels of the wheels so clean?
Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just regular Meguiar's APC 4:1, and Tarminator for the tough road tar chunks, and a Brillo scrubber pad.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So over the Thanksgiving weekend I finally got my *** in gear and installed all my new parts to address various issues: timing belt and water pump replacement, oil pan gasket, power steering pump rebuild, all top end gaskets, front main crank seal, plus fresh engine oil and coolant.

Finally got the work bench area looking decent. Compare to the 2nd post in this thread.

Parts ready to go

Looks decent for 367K miles, after replacing the head gasket 5 years ago at 330K miles (wtf I can't believe it's been 5 years since I did that job!).

Oil pickup and ClutchMasters flywheel that haven't seen the light of day since 2008:

Spent an hour trying to remove the old oil pan gasket remnants. Major PITA

Nice and clean!

Power steering pump shaft and bearing. Felt a little loose but no weird noise after I put it back together.

This whole pump was black when I took it off from the leaking.

Finally got a Lisle spill-free funnel and was able to fill the coolant and purge out the air without spilling a single drop!
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

^wow that funnel looks awesome ! link ?
Old 12-04-2018, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

367k miles and still looks so clean! i need to invest in one of those funnels.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn man, 587,000km!!! (converted for Canadians) That's wild!
Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by egsleepercivic
^wow that funnel looks awesome ! link ?
Originally Posted by danteisme
367k miles and still looks so clean! i need to invest in one of those funnels.
Amazon Amazon

make sure you get that 24680 funnel. The 24610 one is the older version, they charge more for it, but just end up sending you the newer 24680 version anyway. hondas use the Type C cap adapter and fitting in the kit.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy crap, $20? That would be stupid not to add to my garage
Old 12-05-2018, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by danteisme
Holy crap, $20? That would be stupid not to add to my garage
yep, I don't know why I've waited so long to get one. I saw Eric The Car Guy using one on a Honda years ago. Almost 18 years now of changing coolant in various cars and I've ALWAYS made a huge mess with it, until now. Even if you never use the other cap adapters and fittings that come with it, it's still worth it.

It also has a plunger so if you still have coolant in the funnel after the radiator fans come on, you can just stick the plunger down into the hot coolant (without touching it) to close off the bottom, take the funnel out and move it over to your overflow tank to let the coolant go in there. It's a brilliant design.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally ordered the parts to address my front sway bar bushing and end link situation, and also new front lower engine torque mounts to address a "clunk" sound that I'm hearing when opening or closing the throttle. I found the left torque mount torn when I was working on the timing belt a couple weeks ago.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally ordered the parts to address my front sway bar bushing and end link situation, and also new front lower engine torque mounts to address a "clunk" sound that I'm hearing when opening or closing the throttle. I found the left torque mount torn when I was working on the timing belt a couple weeks ago.
I get the same clunk noise on deceleration from a higher rpm as I left off the throttle and it engine brakes. I replaced the two front lower mounts , and the upper driver side main mount but the noise is still there. I have an upper tranny mount to do next but I think it is something else doing it.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

the rear mount on mine was shot causing the clunk, I replaced them all though, but that was the only one that was completely broken
Old 12-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by egsleepercivic
the rear mount on mine was shot causing the clunk, I replaced them all though, but that was the only one that was completely broken
ah, I was avoiding having to replace that one, it is going to be a real biatch to get that one swapped. I have a new one as I bought an entire kit , I was going to do four of them and hoping I got the issue resolved and hopefully not needing to touch the rear one. Sounds like I may need to do that one some day. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I've replaced the rear mount before, and the driver side upper mount is still intact. Plus it didn't make any such clunking noises before I started this latest work, and the driver side lower torque mount is the only one I touched, and it's for sure broken. Also I jounced the suspension up and down, and no clunking noise. It only makes the noise when a torque load is applied or let off from the engine.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Changed out the front lower engine mounts and the busted-*** front sway bar end links over the weekend. Couldn't replace the sway bar bushings because they put the rear sway bar bushings in the box for the front ones But still the clunk remains which is weird. There was no clunk before I did all the timing belt and oil pan work.

Also I'm still seeing some leaking on the oil pan, possibly from somewhere inside the timing belt covers. I pray it's not the front main seal or oil pump that I JUST put new seals on. Maybe I didn't get the camshaft seals in there correctly or something.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Changed out the front lower engine mounts and the busted-*** front sway bar end links over the weekend. Couldn't replace the sway bar bushings because they put the rear sway bar bushings in the box for the front ones But still the clunk remains which is weird. There was no clunk before I did all the timing belt and oil pan work.
So the clunk turned out to be the driver side main engine mount bolt, which I left basically hand tight after putting the car back together in November Torqued that to spec and the clunk sound is gone!

Also I finally bit the bullet Saturday and copped a replacement ABS pump unit to hopefully get the system working again so the annoying light on the dash will go away.

Still probably going to swap out the Moog sway bar end links with probably the AC Delco replacement end links, which looks like they might be easier to install properly. And when I do that I'll also swap out the sway bar chassis bushings which are sitting on the work bench.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Lmao I did the exact same thing with my Integra, I forgot to tighten the driver side mount bolts then spent months trying to figure out why it was clunking. Glad you solved it!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So the clunk turned out to be the driver side main engine mount bolt, which I left basically hand tight after putting the car back together in November Torqued that to spec and the clunk sound is gone!

Also I finally bit the bullet Saturday and copped a replacement ABS pump unit to hopefully get the system working again so the annoying light on the dash will go away.

Still probably going to swap out the Moog sway bar end links with probably the AC Delco replacement end links, which looks like they might be easier to install properly. And when I do that I'll also swap out the sway bar chassis bushings which are sitting on the work bench.
The MOOG sway bar end links were the biggest PITA to install on mine.

Quick Reply: PatrickGSR94's broken@$$ Integra fix-it thread!