Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

P/S Pump Issue ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P/S Pump Issue ??

I have a 2000 Integra LS and I'm having some difficulties trying to figure out what is wrong with my power steering. So my issue started with the hose from the reservoir leaking out all the fluid, it was cracked. I changed the hose and refilled the fluid. At this point my PS pump starting making this weird noise and my steering started to get very hard. I figured the pump had burnt out due to low fluid (if that's possible), so I changed out the pump with another used one from the junk yard. I installed the pump, added new fluid and bled the system with the car being on jack stands as instructed to do. Did the wheel spin side to side 20x with car off and on. The steering wheel was turning very easy and smoothly while the car was still on jack stands. I lowered the car, took it for a test drive and the steering was still very hard! I figured the pump that I got from the junk yard was bad, so I bought a new re-manufactured one from Auto Zone. I installed it, added new fluid and bled the system all over again to make sure it had no air bubbles. Took the car out again for a test drive and same S***T again!!! The steering still very hard even with a new pump!!! At this point I'm pist off and completely lost on what else it could be. Anybody have any ideas what else could be causing the problem ??? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:49 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: P/S Pump Issue ??

Its just a theory and I have no idea how you could test it but here's my thought...

The pump, lines, and fluid could be fine, but if the rack itself has an internal leak, it could cause the steering to stiffen up under load. There are rubber o-rings on the inside of the rack...on jackstands, there is no weight load on the front tires and even a leaky PS rack could still effortlessly turn the tires. Once the car is back on the ground where there is friction, the leak becomes apparent as the fluid leaks around the inside of the rack, instead of turning the tires.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Its just a theory and I have no idea how you could test it but here's my thought...

The pump, lines, and fluid could be fine, but if the rack itself has an internal leak, it could cause the steering to stiffen up under load. There are rubber o-rings on the inside of the rack...on jackstands, there is no weight load on the front tires and even a leaky PS rack could still effortlessly turn the tires. Once the car is back on the ground where there is friction, the leak becomes apparent as the fluid leaks around the inside of the rack, instead of turning the tires.
Just what I was dreading :-/ .. That the rack and piñon needs to be pulled and rebuilt !
Old 01-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Shit Posts: 15

While pulling it, if you pull all the hoses out first
Check if any are clogged. Won't hurt. And it may save you time and money if a line is clogged.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66

Ok.. So before I pulled the rack I installed the p/s pump from EM1 just to ensure it was the rack causing the problem. I installed it, bled it and still was the same. I went ahead had the rack pulled and a new re-manufactured one was installed along with a new PS pump too. I went ahead and bled the system and to my surprise still the same S***T again !!!! At this point I wanna set the car on fire and am completely clueless on what it could be. Anybody out there have any ideas what else it could be causing the problem ? Bleed the entire system ?? Any help will be appreciated
Old 01-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of fluid are you using?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
What kind of fluid are you using?
I used Prestone Honda/Acura power steering fluid, it a yellow bottle.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look for a clog or kink in the lines somewhere. I can't remember if DC4's have PS coolers...or if that's just DC2's. But the cooler may be clogged or bent. Weird thing is that it worked fine before the reservoir cracked.

You may have to bleed it more thoroughly.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
I would look for a clog or kink in the lines somewhere. I can't remember if DC4's have PS coolers...or if that's just DC2's. But the cooler may be clogged or bent. Weird thing is that it worked fine before the reservoir cracked.

You may have to bleed it more thoroughly.
I don't think either come with PS coolers, then again I may be wrong. I'm gonna bleed the entire system with new fluid. Which one is the return hose for the power steering pump? Is it the the hose from the reservoir that clamps onto the the ps pump ? Or is it the hose that's located on the side of the reservoir ?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys, so I got the power steering issue figured out. It turned out to be that my P/S reservoir was extremely clogged. It had all this black build up caked on the screen mesh inside the reservoir preventing the fluid to reach the P/S pump. Once I cleaned it out my power steering began to work again. So I got this issue figured out, now on to what I think is a bigger problem happening now .....

So prior to all this I had a new re-manufactured rack and pinion installed along with new inner and outer tie rods. It needed to be done anyways because it had a leak. Now with the new rack and pinion installed, I'm getting this popping sound when I turn left or right. Its not the axel as they have been replaced, so I'm ruling that out. With my old rack I was not having this problem at all. Could it be that the new rack and pinion installed is faulty??