Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   Ok, another squeeking problem thread -- Competent mechanics chime in (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/ok-another-squeeking-problem-thread-competent-mechanics-chime-2495621/)

1200 Hobos 02-08-2009 06:02 PM

Ok, another squeeking problem thread -- Competent mechanics chime in

96 Integra LS
200k on the stock motor
No maintanence work that I know of.

Problem: Squeeking. Loud annoying squeeking that is constant during idle coming from the drivers side of the engine bay, alternator area.

At first I thought it was the p/s but discovered the sound was coming near the alternator area later.

Some helpful info for diagnosis:

A) It happens during idle but when I start to accelerate it gets louder and more worse like nails on a chalkboard combined with a horror film type of shit lol and finally when I'm in 2nd gear and have some momentum going it stops and everything is honky dory so-to-speak. Then a horrific red light, I shift to neutral :scared:... and it starts again.

B) Stopped at a red light with everyone having a look as to what this mammajamma noise coming from my car is lol I tried slowly engaging the clutch, while stopped at this red light, in first gear and the noise goes away when I sit there with half the clutch engaged and the car shaking like it's about to stall. This is the only time it stops making the noise during idle.

C) Back home in the garage I inspect the noise alittle and it finally stopped for several minutes only to start again when the radiator fan turned on.

It's probably something simple like the alternator belt but I have no idea, help.

stock88crx 02-08-2009 06:09 PM

Re: Ok, another squeeking problem thread -- Competent mechanics chime in

From what you say, its most likely your alternator belt. Changing it will fix it.

1200 Hobos 02-08-2009 06:13 PM

Thanks for the quick response, off to search for a how-to.

MILFHUNTERDA 02-08-2009 07:55 PM

Maybe your belt......or alternator, put a load on it like have ur high beams,radio,blower,a/c all on and c if it gets worst. Could be the bearings inside the alternator first signs of goin out. When u go change ur belt spin the pulley by hand and listen for squeeks.

1200 Hobos 02-08-2009 08:08 PM

Ok I'll try putting a load on it when I look at it again. So if it gets worse with a load then it's most likely the alternator itself and if it doesn't it's the belt. Either way I think I'll take the opportunity to change the p/s, a/c and alternator belts all at once. Thanks for the help. I just couldn't imagine how such a horrific noise could come from just a belt... I'll check back in after I fix it probably next sunday. Good thing I don't daily drive it lol I would hate to have to put up with this everywhere I go, it's retarded-loud.

PatrickGSR94 02-09-2009 06:22 AM

Yeah I had an alternator start making noises like that once - bearings going bad. I actually tried to take the alternator apart to replace just the bearings (basically just overhaul the thing instead of replacing it), but I never could get the housing separated. So I ended up just replacing it anyway.

Now this may sound weird, but I had a similar problem that turned out to be my cooling fan motor bearings going out. I know that's nowhere near the alternator area, but it did similar things like make this loud annoying noise while at a stop, or while slowing down to stop. While driving, no noise. Basically when the fan came on, it made the noise. I replaced the fan and that fixed that problem.

1200 Hobos 02-09-2009 10:26 AM

I hope it's not the alternator, I just did my brake master cylinder ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

PatrickGSR94 02-09-2009 11:41 AM

hahah it's not that bad, unless you can't afford it :scared:

Just don't be like me and accidentally leave the battery hooked up while trying to disconnect the cable *ZAP POW SPARKS*

sp00ledbseries 02-09-2009 11:46 AM

ya make sure you take the batt cable off i made that mistake last week lol

The G2 Racer 02-09-2009 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 37344770)
hahah it's not that bad, unless you can't afford it :scared:

Just don't be like me and accidentally leave the battery hooked up while trying to disconnect the cable *ZAP POW SPARKS*

:devil:
Done that myself, shocking lol.

1200 Hobos 02-09-2009 11:49 AM

lol thanks, I probably would've done the same thing if you guys didn't say anything.

money is tight right now, I'm lucky I don't drive it everyday so holding off on the repair is no biggie.

Cooling fan motor bearings. I'll keep that in mind aswell thanks.

1200 Hobos 02-15-2009 05:04 PM

Alright well after having a look at the alternator from underneath the car it all makes sense.

The bottom bolt which I think is the tensioner bolt(?) is completely missing. I knew it had to be that right after I heard the clunking noise from underneath the car while driving. I guess it just worked it's way off.