Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

not passing smog. valves or piston rings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not passing smog. valves or piston rings?

k i posted on here before about my car having a sputter at steady speeds and having a high HC level on smog tests. well i did a compression test and 3 cylinders are at 150 and one is at 135psi. so im low on compression. now im almost sure its my valves, even though i was told to re ring it, because when i took the head(to have it resurfaced cuz of a heating issues) off recently the sleeves were smooth and my car doesnt burn any oil. so my guess is that i have burnt valves or bent-possibly from the heating issue, in any case the valves is what im thinking are bad. Any imput or thoughts would be nice if you think im wrong.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: not passing smog. valves or piston rings? (purestreetracer)

Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 PM

post your smog test results
Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had to edit it ..so you can read the 13.8/13.9 anyway i have a full tune up(wires, filters, plugs, new distributor,,anything you can think of ..but im thinkin its the valves due to the compression test being so low and me not blowing black smoke or burning oil.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dam that sux. Happened to me also when i had a chipped ecu and try to pass. Once your a gross polluter they make you go every year to smog. Did it to me lol. It can be your valves but it can also be bad oil rings. Make sure your timing is alright. Should pull the head to see whats up.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealth50k)

ive pulled the head twice. the cylinders look good visually and feel smooth with my hand. i had a warped head before when i took the head off and had it resurfaced..so maybe thats what caused the valves to get funked up. but anyway like i said i dont burn any oil..ive seen rings go bad and usually u will start going through oil pretty quick. its got a new head gasket, timing belt, water pump, timed, valve adjustment is good. so my guess is the valves arent closing right.

p.s. ya i know..that sucks about me having to smog every year..is that for the rest of the cars life? is there anyway i can get it to be every other year again? im not really trippin to much about it cuz im not planning on fixing it up. its gona be pretty stock besides CTR cams, intake, and straight pipe but i can take the intake, and put the cat on before the smogs. and if i ever need to i can just illegally smog it
Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (purestreetracer)

What is your timing set to? What fuel are you using? High HC is usually caused by unburnt fuel, maybe you have a misfire. Was your catalytic really hot when they ran the test?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (purestreetracer)

Not really sure yet if it continues for every year after. I think if it passes the time after you do it then you might not need to do another smog every year but every other year. Gotta look it up at the dmv though. I haven't really researched it completely.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (all-mtr-teg)

caty is brand new. they did wait till it warmed before the test. the wires,plugs, dist. and everything is brand new. like i said i replaced everything you can come up with. unburnt fuel...ya if the valves arent closing all the way im guessin that ..that would cause high HC levels..right?