Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

NGK Copper or NGK iridium...?

Old 12-04-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NGK Copper or NGK iridium...?

Ive searched and read but no real answer.

Its for a 95' GSR.NGK website says "precious metal" and all but are there really any big difference between the coppers and iridiums when it comes to Gas milage, spark etc...

I know about the cost difference and the iridiums last longer.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: NGK Copper or NGK iridium...? (P@@RB@Y)

Dead bump
Old 12-04-2005, 09:20 AM
L D E S

the difference is money in your pocket, or paying for **** you dont need.

coppers will do fine, the replacement intervals are shorter than iridiums, but they are cheap.

telling people you have iridiums though may be worth the difference in price.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: NGK Copper or NGK iridium...? (svtec)

I have always used NGK coppers becasue there cheap and perform.Just wondering if theres was actually any benifit to the iridiums.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:28 AM
L D E S

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P@@RB@Y &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have always used NGK coppers becasue there cheap and perform.Just wondering if theres was actually any benifit to the iridiums.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not to any normal, daily driven cars there isnt.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard there is a slight one for high performance motors w/either higher compression or forced induction, but even with those many people prefer copper b/c of the cheap cost and the ease of gapping compared to the irridiums. I used to run whatever kind of plug and once I even ran platinums in a honda, what a bad experience that was...both myself and many people I know only use NGKs v-powers(copper) b/c of the solid reputation they have, the cheapness, and how easy they are to gap.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replace my plugs ever year, 20k mi, and I find that it is needed w/the standard ngks. If this is something you need to pay someone to do, you might consider a precious metal plug b/c of the at least doubled life they have.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Danronian)

copper - cheaper, shorter lifespan
iridium - 10x more expensive, but they last a lot longer.

it's up to you. spark plugs are an easy change for our cars. front and center. no reaching into tight corners.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: (LSvtec03)

Yeah...just go with the v-power plugs(copper) it's not really worth it unless you have more than basic bolt-on's....
Old 12-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98b18black)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98b18black &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> it's not really worth it unless you have more than basic bolt-on's....</TD></TR></TABLE>
that has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:25 AM

Yeah...but I wouldn't get them unless I had more than bolt-on's....
Old 12-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98b18black &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah...but I wouldn't get them unless I had more than bolt-on's....</TD></TR></TABLE>
what point are you trying to make? iridiums are not a 'mod.' you can't tell the difference in spark. they just last longer. they're made for longevity.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 AM

I completely forgot that I had an aftermarket ignition system in my car...but seriously...Spark plug differences:

copper/platinum/iridium in all honesty, these all do the same ****. Mfr's say that platinum and iridium conduct better in order to produce a hotter spark, etc but truthfully, there's hardly any difference in my opinion. I have not had experience with iridium plugs, however i do use copper and have used platinum plugs. Platinum is supposed to be for better gas mileage, plus it lasts longer than a traditional copper plug. I use normal copper plugs and change them with about every other oil change mainly because it's inexpensive and easy to do. Might as well keep them fresh right?

When we talk about spark, we're talking about the pulse of electricity that runs through the electrode side of the spark plug. This occurs in the area between the piston and valves (for Overhead cam O.H.C cars) chamber and ignites/burns everything that is inside the combustion chamber -- this should be air from the intake, and fuel injected into the intake manifold, there will be trace amounts of oil also. When you motor gets bad, oil will seep into this chamber and degrade the combustion. Imagine lighting a match in a room filled with air and atomized fuel. now imagine that same room, but now it has a bunch of fire retardant floating around. Boom not so big anymore. yet i digress. Those non-copper plugs are supposed to conduct electricity better, which means a hotter spark which is supposed to mean better combustion. It doesn't always work that way because you have other factors to take into consideration such as the ignition wires, ignition coil, distributor cap/rotor..all of that blocks the electricity's path. Only an aftermarket system can provide a true hot spark that can further optimze the combustion process.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Run the iridiums for longevity. Expensive but worth it if you dont want to change your plugs that often.

I run copper on my 1.8t cause it has a lower melting point than platinum and iridium but is better at dissipating heat than the other two which is a big Also, i would rather have a sparkplug tip break and have my engine shut down before i do any real damage.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (teknoracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teknoracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Also, i would rather have a sparkplug tip break and have my engine shut down before i do any real damage.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You think a spark plug tip sent through your cylinder, exhaust valve and then turbo wouldnt do any real damage?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98b18black &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those non-copper plugs are supposed to conduct electricity better, which means a hotter spark which is supposed to mean better combustion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've <U>always</U> read that platinums don't conduct electricity better, their only purpose is to last longer. Irridiums do but they are super pricey (compared to copper plugs) and the benefits are generally too small to justify using them. I tried platinums once in a motor w/high miles that wasnt in the best shape (actually someone bought them for me) and they fouled within a week and the car ran like total crap, i switched to v-powers at the same gap and the car ran better and they never fouled. And this car I'm talking about had an aftermarket coil and all new ignition components.
Another point...Having an upgraded ignition system has nothing to do w/the type of plugs you need to use. Most drag cars use copper plugs. Having your coil and etc upgraded means you might possibly be able to open up the gap a bit giving you a bigger spark and better combustion, it does very little other than that. It might make a stonger spark in the case of a car that likes to foul out the plugs but in cars that do that in my experience the upgraded coil and ignition parts helped very very little, close to not at all.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:04 AM

i have a 95 gsr and i have the ngk irridium denso's, only becuz i got the hook up on them, id never spend 13 dollars a piece on spark plugs only becuz i cudnt tell that much difference in them.. but i like them
i got 4 for 20 dollars, my friend worked at autozone
Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: NGK Copper or NGK iridium...? (OwnsAnAcura)

13 dollars for iridiums...screw that...they're only 5 a piece around here....13 dollars hahahahhahahaha thats funny as hell....
Old 12-05-2005, 11:55 AM

Actually, the rationale for using metals such as iridium and platinum for the electrode, is to make make the electrodes smaller. The durabilty of these metals is what allows the electrodes to be made smaller.

There are several advantages for a smaller electrode. By focusing the charge on a smaller point, you get a more reliable spark. Also, there is also less quench area, which helps the ignition propagate after the spark. Now, will you actually notice these differences? Probably not, especially if your ignition system is in good condition, and your engine is relatively stock. Will you not have to check your plugs as frequently? Almost certainly. That's the selling point for me.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NGK Copper or NGK iridium...? (98b18black)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98b118black &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Mfr's say that platinum and iridium conduct better in order to produce a hotter spark, etc but truthfully, there's hardly any difference in my opinion. I have not had experience with iridium plugs, however i do use copper and have used platinum plugs.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

"Mfr's" dont claim hotter spark from a iridium plug, their only purpose(as stated by a couple others), is to last longer than copper plugs. Its pretty obvious you have no experience with iridium plugs because if you did you would know their purpose is longevity, not performance or effceincy.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98b18black &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">13 dollars for iridiums...screw that...they're only 5 a piece around here....13 dollars hahahahhahahaha thats funny as hell....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where are you getting Iridiums for $5 a piece? I find that very hard to believe.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Re: NGK Copper or NGK iridium...? (TRE_)

$6.96...pardon me....
Old 12-06-2005, 07:45 AM

Default Re: NGK Copper or NGK iridium...? (98b18black)

I have NGK Iridiums on my stock gs-r.

I actually noticed a slight increase in performance switching to the iridiums.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NGK Copper or NGK iridium...? (gsrthomas)

just go copper and replace every 10k miles. Copper has better electrical current i believe also... Patrick fill us in please.. lol
Old 12-06-2005, 10:25 AM
L D E S

Default Re: NGK Copper or NGK iridium...? (gsrthomas)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrthomas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I actually noticed a slight increase in performance switching to the iridiums.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no you didnt. you think you did.

the bottom line is that if you think it did something, it did.