Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

New Rings on B18C1 Autox Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon5 New Rings on B18C1 Autox Build

Hey guys,

I've seen a lot of controversy over breaking in an engine on the forums. I've seen people suggest half a dozen oil changes within the first 3000 miles and I've seen people say they just replaced the oil filter after getting the car up to operating temp, and only changed the oil after the break-in period was over.

I'm in the process of replacing the piston rings on my B18C1 swapped Integra LS. I use this car primarily for autocross racing, but occasionally take it on the street to stretch its legs between events. My question is, how should I break in the engine once I'm done putting everything back together and it's ready to be started?

Keep in mind, this car rarely sees any shifts below 6k RPM. So, it will be beaten on most of the time. My theory is that after I do the first oil change (once the engine gets up to operating temperature), I should drive the car through it's range of RPM's but not really "beat" on it until after maybe 100 miles or so (engine breaking as much as possible), and I've changed the oil again. But the plan is, as of now, to drive it hard like it's going to be driven most of its life, after that first 100 miles of the rings being seated.

I'd like to know your guys' personal opinions, who have purpose built cars (not daily drivers), as to what you would recommend as this is my first "rebuild". I'm only honing the cylinder walls and replacing the rings.

Thanks,
Old 10-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: New Rings on B18C1 Autox Build

Why would you take the time to tear down the entire engine and only replace the rings? Parts like bearings are pretty cheap, might as well spend a bit more and do a proper rebuild.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
Why would you take the time to tear down the entire engine and only replace the rings? Parts like bearings are pretty cheap, might as well spend a bit more and do a proper rebuild.
I realize that, but it's almost winter in upstate NY so if I want to do a full-rebuild, I can do it then. I just wanted to take care of my excessive blow-by and get it back up in running as quickly and cost-effective as possible.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like a ball hone. Just make sure everything is super clean after you hone it. There will be a lot of residue/dust. I wouldn't bother with just rings but it's not my car or money.

First starts on a fresh rebuild. I fill with a cheap diesel oil like Rotella T4. Run it at 2,000 for 20 minutes. Let it cool completely. Do the same at 3,000 then change the oil and I'm done with that. You can do whatever you want after, drive slow or fast just vary the RPMs. I drive them hard, I don't care for a soft break-in. My preference.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
I like a ball hone. Just make sure everything is super clean after you hone it. There will be a lot of residue/dust. I wouldn't bother with just rings but it's not my car or money.

First starts on a fresh rebuild. I fill with a cheap diesel oil like Rotella T4. Run it at 2,000 for 20 minutes. Let it cool completely. Do the same at 3,000 then change the oil and I'm done with that. You can do whatever you want after, drive slow or fast just vary the RPMs. I drive them hard, I don't care for a soft break-in. My preference.
I used a flat stone hone. Why do you use a cheap diesel oil? I've heard of people using a zinc additive to the break-in oil. So, you're saying to break in the engine without putting it under any load? Just holding the throttle a little bit?
Old 10-05-2018, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC4_Dad
I used a flat stone hone. Why do you use a cheap diesel oil? I've heard of people using a zinc additive to the break-in oil. So, you're saying to break in the engine without putting it under any load? Just holding the throttle a little bit?
Most Diesel oils will have a good amount of zinc in it. A little less now a days but I still use it. It's cheap and it'll only be there for that short period. Yeah, just raise the RPMs no load. Also bleeding the cooling system at the same time.

Realst has a video that has a similar theory to mine.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some say take it easy and do light varied driving for 1000 miles and change the oil and never keep it at any one rpm range for too long

break in procedures are like ********..everyone has one
Old 10-08-2018, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: New Rings on B18C1 Autox Build

I've had the car back up and running Friday night. Been driving it around yesterday and this morning. All seems well. Feels so much stronger than before and it's no longer smoking so I'm confident it fixed my blow-by issue. I've just been driving back roads, varying the RPM's and only giving it 1/2 throttle when I do so. Can't wait to open her up WOT.