Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Need ideas for my crank / no-start issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need ideas for my crank / no-start issue

Back story; 1995 Integra GSR w/ LSVTEC. Ran previously, but cannot get it started and running out of ideas. Cranks, will not fire. Plenty of fuel, has spark, compression 225 even across all 4 cylinders (well #3 is like 215..)
Timing = good, checked, re-checked so many times Ive lost count.
I have 6 fresh, sanded to bare metal clean grounds, two off thermostat house, two off tranny, one off the head, one off the valve cover so lets not even go there
Tried 2 different dizzys, two different coils, two different ignitors. Have spark, not sure if its "white" enougfh, but I do have spark.
Plenty of gas, hear main relay priming. Can a main relay prime the fuel pump but still be bad? Or is that basically its only task?
Tried two different (known good) ecus
Checked all fuses.
Tried different MAP and IAT
Harness is new, custom mil-spec
Have good spark, plugs getting wet with fuel, plenty of compression

But not even trying to fire, just cranking cranking cranking
Seems like it would be something so simple and obvious but I am out of ideas.
All I can think of trying or testing is an alternator, main relay but Im sure neither will help

Any new ideas from anyone?
Old 12-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need ideas for my crank / no-start issue

Originally Posted by johhnytsunammi
Back story; 1995 Integra GSR w/ LSVTEC. Ran previously, but cannot get it started and running out of ideas. Cranks, will not fire. Plenty of fuel, has spark, compression 225 even across all 4 cylinders (well #3 is like 215..)

Any new ideas from anyone?
You're on the right track. You need compression, fuel and a properly timed spark.
You're getting decent compression, so the physical/CAM timing is at least close. I'd still check TDC vs CAM(s) to be sure. Valves seem to be seating.
You're getting spark (how do you know that, did you take out a plug and verify spark?)
You're getting fuel (How do you know that, are the plugs soaked with gas when you pull them?)

Old 12-05-2018, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure the engine-side of your set-up is properly grounded. also, make sure ur wire harness is grounded at the thermostat housing. I had a friend buy an eg for $400 because the guy couldnt get it to start. we paid him and started the car right iup in HIS yard...wireharness wasnt grounded at the thermostat. then he wanted MORE money after we already had paid him, got the keys AND the title. too bad, so sad
Old 12-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thewrai6th
You're on the right track. You need compression, fuel and a properly timed spark.
You're getting decent compression, so the physical/CAM timing is at least close. I'd still check TDC vs CAM(s) to be sure. Valves seem to be seating.
You're getting spark (how do you know that, did you take out a plug and verify spark?)
You're getting fuel (How do you know that, are the plugs soaked with gas when you pull them?)
Yes, and Yes. Getting spark, at the coil (took a test light and rigged up a push button switch to my starter to crank it just off the coild nicely to the test light probe) and at the plug (took out a plug and clamped a jumper cable on the end and one end of the cable to ground and cranked it. Though I keep hearing about a white spark and mine seems more yellow. I tried two coils, both were used. Im considering getting a new one, though I may do some resistance test on my current one to see if its within specs. Fuel was visually confirmed. Took out the rail and cranked it and it spurted out of each injector as it cycled through the cylinders. Almost too much (had RC750s) so for testing purposes I put the 240cc OEM gsr injectors back in.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by linkdeezie
make sure the engine-side of your set-up is properly grounded. also, make sure ur wire harness is grounded at the thermostat housing. I had a friend buy an eg for $400 because the guy couldnt get it to start. we paid him and started the car right iup in HIS yard...wireharness wasnt grounded at the thermostat. then he wanted MORE money after we already had paid him, got the keys AND the title. too bad, so sad
I got more grounds on that thing than a ConEd power station. Two coming off the thermostat, one for the wiring harness and a second one for good measure to the frame. Two off the tranny. One off the valve cover, and another one off the head. All clean and sanded to bare metal.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

bad coil is #1 cranks but no start problem. always have a new spare.
75k miles is about as long as they've lasted for me.
good guide:

https://www.team-integra.net/forum/b...eshooting.html

the honda coil (made by tec) is the best but even a well rated cheapy will keep you from getting stranded:

Amazon Amazon

the universe favors the prepared mind.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would also suggest putting BACK the oem engine harness if it was removed. Your back-story seems to be missing a lot of info. Theres actually NO story, except "ran previously and now wont start". But reading your original post again, i saw "Harness is new, custom mil-spec" .. so i'm thinking you changed some stuff on that car and NOW it wont start. start undoing whatever you did, one-by-one until that bad boy cranks back up. Then you will find ur culprit.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Check your fuses and replace the ignition coil, $5 says its the ignition coil.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by linkdeezie
I would also suggest putting BACK the oem engine harness if it was removed. Your back-story seems to be missing a lot of info. Theres actually NO story, except "ran previously and now wont start". But reading your original post again, i saw "Harness is new, custom mil-spec" .. so i'm thinking you changed some stuff on that car and NOW it wont start. start undoing whatever you did, one-by-one until that bad boy cranks back up. Then you will find ur culprit.
You are pretty spot on man. Thats the whole problem though - I changed a few things and was trying to avoid going ALL the way back to square one. Ive changed the Intake and throttle body, upgraded the fuel pumps. New MAP and TPS. Ive been working with the guy that built the harness for me and I wouldnt think thats the problem, he is one of the best and he has had me check a few things. I just did the continuity checks on the Main Relay per the Factory Service Manual and that checks out good. My coil resistance tests appear to be in spec too. ECU cel light self-tests and goes off after 2 seconds.I may try another alternator when it warms up here. Do you think a bad alternator could send some crazy signals to the ECU causing a crank but no start condition? It cant be fuel related so it has to be spark or timing. I have an ATI street damper but Ive tried timing/ TDC in a couple positions and nothing seems to work.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by johhnytsunammi
You are pretty spot on man. Thats the whole problem though - I changed a few things and was trying to avoid going ALL the way back to square one. Ive changed the Intake and throttle body,.
If you changed the TB make sure the gasket is on correct its very easy to flip the gasket when installing and it will prevent the engine from firing up!
Old 12-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great news guys - finally got it firing tonight. I keep trying to think of what was there I havent tried yet? Finally I just thought it has to be something with either spark or timing. Since I had spark, I focused on timing. For some reason my LSVTEC is super touchy about timing belts and even one tooth off it wont start. Took me about 8 tries of taking the belt on and off to get it right. So played around with that, dried the fuel off the wet plugs and what do you know, it started popping. But it was 18 degrees here, and it looks like I need a starter too - so I called it a day. Thanks guys for all the suggestions and help. Its supposed to be 35 degrees next Saturday, Ill try again then and reposrt back.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That is great news.

Good luck on the weather getting warmer ... lol
Old 01-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive heard that ls vtecs are never really in time so it might be a good investment to get adjustible cam gears