Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

my vents smell like piss/mold!!!!! WTF?!?!!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my vents smell like ****/mold!!!!! WTF?!?!!?!?

i dunno where else to post this or where else to turn.

whenever i turn on my vents, no a/c on, it smells like warm ****, mixed with mold. like when you wash your car and dry it off with a towel and leave it in your car for a few days, it stinks like ****. well it kinda smells like that.

i pulled over, sprayed some ozium in my outside vents, it made it a tad bit better, but it still smells like ****.

wtf?

how can i get rid of this raunchy *** smell?
Old 07-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: my vents smell like ****/mold!!!!! WTF?!?!!?!? (2k1 SSM GSR)

so...its like wet towel smell? mine kinda smells like that sometimes, but its not really all that strong, just a slight smell. even the sti ac smells like that.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: my vents smell like ****/mold!!!!! WTF?!?!!?!? (sabotage7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sabotage7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so...its like wet towel smell? mine kinda smells like that sometimes, but its not really all that strong, just a slight smell. even the sti ac smells like that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it'll go away once i turn on the a/c usually. but once i hit the a/c off....it starts smelling like **** again. it's a real gross smell. i bought a ton of air fresheners and nothing is helping.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:26 PM

ewww.....stop pissin in your car man!
i dunno, the smell mine has is when the ac is on.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think hondas are pretty notorious for that. i havent really smelled that yet in my integra but my old 90 accord smelled like **** was coming outta the air ducts.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dukers)

do you have any cats that hang around the car
Old 07-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allmotorteg_96)

It's probably mold growing in your air vents. Do you run your air on recirculate a lot? If so, switch it to fresh air and that should help a little.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: (OldGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OldGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's probably mold growing in your air vents. Do you run your air on recirculate a lot? If so, switch it to fresh air and that should help a little.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have it on recirculate when i have the a/c on. when i'm running anything other than a/c i turn it off.

grrrrr....this is irritating. i feel so embarrassed, especially when my g/f is riding in the car. i have 2 glade air fresheners in the vents and like 3 air fresheners hanging from the mirror. still smells like ****.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: (2k1 SSM GSR)

Common problem in our cars after using the AC system. The best way to prevent this is to run the heat on high after using the AC. I like to do this before the end of my drive for a minute or two. I've found that by doing this it prevents the condensation in the AC system from molding up.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: (timmy8151)

how do i get rid of the mold? am i stuck with this for life?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call your local Acura dealer. I heard that they have a special spray or cleaning system.

And another tip, instead of using heat, you could just turn up your air all the way, but with the AC off. Run it like that until the air no longer blows cold.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

after you turn off the A/C, keep the fan on for a few minutes on maximum
Old 07-25-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: (erikiksaz1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by erikiksaz1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would call your local Acura dealer. I heard that they have a special spray or cleaning system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. Honda sells it too. My friend works in parts and I just did it to my gsr, huge difference. The stuff cost me about $13 at employee cost. Like $20 normally I think. Its a spray cleaner that you spray into the evaporator drain tube that is under the car. You attach a clear plastic hose thing to the can (kinda like a can of fix-a-flat) and spray half the bottle up into the tube. Let it sit for about 10-15 min, the foam turns to liquid and eventually it just all drops out of the tube at once and you'll see how gross the **** is when it comes out. Then you repeat the process with the rest of the can and wait another 10-15 min. After that there is this air freshener spray **** it comes with too and you turn the car on and switch it to fresh air vent and put it on high, spray the air freshener stuff into the ducts by your wipers and let the system run for a few min. Then you're done and you have a fresh smelling a/c system. I highley recommend it. It also made my a/c blow colder.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: (one sick DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by one sick DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Correct. Honda sells it too. My friend works in parts and I just did it to my gsr, huge difference. The stuff cost me about $13 at employee cost. Like $20 normally I think. Its a spray cleaner that you spray into the evaporator drain tube that is under the car. You attach a clear plastic hose thing to the can (kinda like a can of fix-a-flat) and spray half the bottle up into the tube. Let it sit for about 10-15 min, the foam turns to liquid and eventually it just all drops out of the tube at once and you'll see how gross the **** is when it comes out. Then you repeat the process with the rest of the can and wait another 10-15 min. After that there is this air freshener spray **** it comes with too and you turn the car on and switch it to fresh air vent and put it on high, spray the air freshener stuff into the ducts by your wipers and let the system run for a few min. Then you're done and you have a fresh smelling a/c system. I highley recommend it. It also made my a/c blow colder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what is it called? what do i call honda and ask for?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2k1 SSM GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is it called? what do i call honda and ask for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe it's made by Wurth, and it's their AC & Heating system cleaner
Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: (timmy8151)

some one must have pissed on your car.....
Old 07-25-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: (Hooch'n)

ok i talked to acura today and here's what they told me.

they said they dont sell anything to clean it out with. they said to go to a local auto parts store and buy evaporator cleaner. i have to manually clean the evaporator myself with this ****. i have no idea where the evaporator is, other than somewhere behind the glove box. i guess if you run recirculation on in your car without running free air in there afterwards, it will create mildew and mold. that is why my car smells like mold/****.

anybody have any fun tips on how to locate the evaporator?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (OldGSR)

This thread is hilarious.

But it sounds like you have mold in your vents.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:58 PM
I hate everything

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

Yeah, sorry to hear about that man, get a few JDM air freshners when it is fixed, i.e CSX-3
Old 07-25-2005, 06:13 PM

why don't you just take the cabin filter out spray a disinfectant and put a new cabin filter in. i did it in my girl's car. worked for us.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: my vents smell like ****/mold!!!!! WTF?!?!!?!? (cleanDA9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cleanDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why don't you just take the cabin filter out spray a disinfectant and put a new cabin filter in. i did it in my girl's car. worked for us. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like it would work.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my vents smell like ****/mold!!!!! WTF?!?!!?!? (JDM-EJ1)

I thought our cars didn't have a filter.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: my vents smell like ****/mold!!!!! WTF?!?!!?!? (erikiksaz1)

they may not. i'm not completely sure, but most cars do. check a hayne's manual or something.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2k1 SSM GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i talked to acura today and here's what they told me.

they said they dont sell anything to clean it out with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

odd, well that sucks. I dont remember the name of it, but I was at the Honda dealer when I purchased it. Maybe acura dealers parts dept just SUCK. Anywho, good luck on whatever you do. I still highly recommend the same method I used.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (one sick DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by one sick DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

odd, well that sucks. I dont remember the name of it, but I was at the Honda dealer when I purchased it. Maybe acura dealers parts dept just SUCK. Anywho, good luck on whatever you do. I still highly recommend the same method I used.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Maybe you can provide us with the dealership name and phone number so that we can call them to order that item?

Quick Reply: my vents smell like piss/mold!!!!! WTF?!?!!?!?