Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

My steering column is not centered, NOT the steering wheel, but the whole column HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My steering column is not centered, NOT the steering wheel, but the whole column HELP

Updated!

Eversince I bought my car I noticed that my steering column is about 1/2-3/4 an inch to the left. I'm talking about when I look thru the steering wheel top hole to the gauge cluster, the whole wheel and column is to the left. You can also see from the column plastic cover that its moved to the left and there's a big gap on the right. Has anyone experienced this?

I already checked the column and loosened the bolts and tried to pull it to the right and bolt it back up, but it didn't move much.

So little by little checking every bolt and piece of the steering column, I took it apart. This is what I found:

I took these off in hopes of being able to move the bracket, but it won't move.

Then here's what I need to move to the right so I can center the wheel and column, but how?

Last edited by Dynasty21; 12-10-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My steering column is not centered, NOT the steering wheel, but the whole column

Help!
Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My steering column is not centered, NOT the steering wheel, but the whole column

did you even try what the people suggested?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The nuts holding the column to the steel dash cross brace is the only thing I can think of. However I don't think those holes are slotted, at least not all of them. I've dropped my steering column a couple of times, and never really payed attention to the "centering" of the column when bolting it back up, and it's never ended up off-center before.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lsd96teg
did you even try what the people suggested?
I did what I posted.

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
The nuts holding the column to the steel dash cross brace is the only thing I can think of. However I don't think those holes are slotted, at least not all of them. I've dropped my steering column a couple of times, and never really payed attention to the "centering" of the column when bolting it back up, and it's never ended up off-center before.
They aren't slotted, my friend suggested to drill em out oval so we can move it, but I don't know about all that.
Last resort is to take it all apart and check the column, its covered by the plastic boot.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you already loosened them and re positioned the column then the next step would be to take it out and inspect it. if thats not it then start checking the dash.

is there any gaps around the outer edges of the dash around the window and where it meets with the doors. was the car in an accident before you purchased it? do you see any rouge or uneven areas under the hood? under the car that would suggest and accident or wrinkled areas? the best thing to figure out why something it wrong is to start taking it apart and you might notice something that was loose or not there. was this car modified when you purchased it? maybe the took the dash out while doing some work to the car.

i know ive had my dash out 2 times since i got the car 8 months ago. i had to replace the steering column since the idiot that owned it before me had a lugnut holding the steering wheel on and when i put the new in i forgot to put the little plastic sleeve on. it has a little plastic nub that sits in a little hole in the column and it made my whole column sit off to the left. sorry about my discription. i think its pink or tan colored and its about 2 inches tall if i remember correctly. it sits in the ring that holds it upright and hols it to the steering column mount on the firewall. hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yah I would just have to take the whole column off and check, there are no signs of tampering down there.
The dash is perfectly centered between the door panels and the center console.
It has not been in an accident before and there are no wrinkles or repairs whatsoever anywhere on the car. Everything is straight.
Ok, I'll have to check that rubber thing, can I see it without taking the column out?

Damn I would hate to take the dash apart but I guess I'm going to. No, the dude was about 150lbs.

Last edited by Dynasty21; 12-09-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay cross-posting is usually frowned upon. If you want to have this topic in both forums you need to post the same info in both places. This one is confusing the way it is now.

Or the two threads could be merged into one in a single location.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, but don't just say "yeah I responded to this post in the other thread". No one wants to flip back and forth between threads to get all the info, so post it here.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Updated!
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone else chime in?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dynasty21
Can anyone else chime in?