Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

is my neibor mechanic trying to hustle me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: is my neibor mechanic trying to hustle me?

From the OP's post, the mechanic is the one that told him to bring it to him to "make it work"..

We need clarification on what was wrong from the very start.

OP needs to post up and update!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I decided to go ahead this morning and knock on his door. I asked if I could get my car back due to me not having enough money to fix it at the moment. I b'sed him on that because I only wanted my car back. I asked him how much it was for what he did to the car and he said $100.00. He said he generally chargers $400 to just take the motor down. I really hope he didnt exchange any parts from the motor. Well in my view when I told him to make it run it meant putting a radiator,battery and adjust timing. That's all the car needed not a tear down off the engine. The head has been taken apart aswell. That is not what I asked for. He could have came to my house and say what do u want to do, get a new motor or just take it back with out taking the engine apart. Well I learned something valuable today, don't trust a street mechanic.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slapaho_ca
Well I decided to go ahead this morning and knock on his door. I asked if I could get my car back due to me not having enough money to fix it at the moment. I b'sed him on that because I only wanted my car back. I asked him how much it was for what he did to the car and he said $100.00. He said he generally chargers $400 to just take the motor down. I really hope he didnt exchange any parts from the motor. Well in my view when I told him to make it run it meant putting a radiator,battery and adjust timing. That's all the car needed not a tear down off the engine. The head has been taken apart aswell. That is not what I asked for. He could have came to my house and say what do u want to do, get a new motor or just take it back with out taking the engine apart. Well I learned something valuable today, don't trust a street mechanic.

I sure hope he is not a shady character. I trust only a few people to work on my car. I have to research the mechanic's credibility. My car may not be my livelihood but it is my main mode of transportation..

What was actually wrong with it?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bad throwout bearing. Replaced. Bad water pump. Replaced. Just needed timing adjustment,battery and radiator. Thats it.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bad throwout bearing. Replaced. Bad water pump. Replaced. Just needed timing adjustment,battery and radiator. Thats it.

Seriously this guy is shady. He dropped the engine AND tranny to adjust your timing, give you a new battery AND replace your radiator????

He did one of the following:

Screwed up somewhere when changing the throwout bearing or radiator.

Found something he needed or wanted off your set up

OR He is not the type mechanic we all hope for..smart enough.

Hope your ride is ok

Did you get it back?

PICS man...please..
Old 09-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's how to go on from here: tell him you will pay him the $100 AFTER the car runs. Have him do another compression check to get the same numbers, and go for a test drive. Screw his wife and daughter then look him in the eyes and say "we're even".

The drive away like a BOSS.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

better question is why is the op hanging out with people like this
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, get a recording device and go talk to him. Use it for evidence in court. Check your local laws for admissibility.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he took your head APART? like valves and springs and **** were all off of the head?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does not really sound like you know at all what was going on. and you seem to know even less now. "dont trust a street mechanic" ? you would think the lesson you learned woulda been dont trust your neighbor. just cause he doesnt have a lift and a shop doesnt mean a mechanic is competent or incompetent... I seriously doubt you ever had 185 compression across the board... very rarely does an engine read the same exact number across all 4 cylinders.

The only thing that would make sense to me is if he has a spun rod bearing and the mechanic was tearing the engine down to get the pistons out and go machine the appropriate parts that need to be machined when you get a spun rod bearing. and since this guy doesnt know whats going on the mechanic probably just said its a piston when its probably the piston rod bearing but i doubt the OP knows what that is.

the things u listed throwout bearing and water pump and timing are easier to do when the engine is out but only if you have a lift to make it all quick otherwise its quicker and easier to do it in the car... iduno though your car was dead? i dont get how it was dead and only needed these small adjustments...

what kind of noises was your car making?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bottom line I just got the car. Its pretty much a rolling shell now. I was able to get the parts also. Looked like the shift linkage is bent. Theres dirt all over the heads. How it got there I don't know. Well I just handed the parts to a very good friend of mine. When he looked at the parts his jaw dropped. Lol. He's like what the heck happend, I see dirt everywhere. I told him thats what happens when ur neibor tells you dont worry, i will hook u up in getting your engine to run. Yes my compression wasn't 185 all across. It was between 180-185 on all four cylinders. The only thing the head still had were the valves. Everything else on it was taken off. I'll take pictures of the car and the parts when i get the chance. I just believed everything he told me and I was wrong to believe it.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The "Lesson" you should have learned was to next time do it yourself or take it to some1 you trust!!!....I know it takes time to learn but TRUST me it's worth it and you wont have this problem again... good luck babes
Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Couldn't agree with you more.

Originally Posted by FD2Argi
The "Lesson" you should have learned was to next time do it yourself or take it to some1 you trust!!!....I know it takes time to learn but TRUST me it's worth it and you wont have this problem again... good luck babes
Old 09-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let's get past the chastising and let's see what happened. I know you got the point. I am more curious on what you will find since you have received it. Let's hope this dude isn't on HT trying to offer help....
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf? You got jacked?

This **** is confusing.

185 compression is GOOD, you shouldnt be taking a motor apart. Sounds like he just took everything he needed from your motor, and swapped it with his shitty stuff, and you cant tell.

CALL THE COPS! YOU GOT ROBBED!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

god damn, all your **** got stolen
Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's neighbor...