Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

is my neibor mechanic trying to hustle me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my neibor mechanic trying to hustle me?

I own a stock 1993 acura integra. I have a stock b18a1 engine. Well last week my neibor mechanic decided to check my compression on my motor and I ended up getting 185 across the board. He told me to take it to his house so he could adjust the timing and make it run. Well today he tells me to go to his house for a talk. Next thing I know I see my motor and transmission on the ground with my head all torn apart. He says that my pistons are bad. He says he could get me another longblock for 600 to 650. I'm like Wtf. I asked the guy to make it run not take it apart. So my question is this can my compression be good even if my pistons are bad? To me this makes no sense. Sorry I'm a newbie at the Honda scene. I'm a subaru guy.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: is my neibor mechanic trying to hustle me?

Subaru. Honda. It's all 4 stroke piston motors. Obviously different layout than a boxer though. But no, I can't see each hole getting an even 185 across if there were piston damage. What was the problem in the first place? Why was he looking at it?

And yes. I'd be right ****ing pissed if that were me
Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no one should tear down a motor without talking to the owner first. If pistons are bad he should show you and you coulda have taken a picture if he hasnt tampered with them first.

You said make it run, was it not running? What was the issue to begin with...

Unless we were there its a little vague to assume or judge whether he is trying to hustle you or not. Words exchanged can be misconstrued easily.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats wrong with your car? why did you let him do a compression test in the first place. 185 across the board is fabulous for a b18a
Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

contact your lawyer
Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

uh... why would he pull the motor apart without asking you first?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How old are you? And why would your neighborhood mechanic be checking compression on your car? was your car not running? was it running with no power? I'm very confused by your initial post. I don't know ANY mechanic, professional or shady tree, that will just pull and disassemble a customers engine, without consent. Did you authorize him to do this in some round about manner or gesture?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
contact your lawyer
Just a hunch, but ...
I doubt he has a lawyer if he is having the neighborhood DIY guy tinker with the car.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF! Your neighbor just seriously f8ck you up.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with everyone else. as a mechanic i would never take appart the engine without asking first. and being that you probably dont know a thing about mechanic work you might be making it sound like a bad situation so then everyone on here is also going to give u answers that go with a bad situation and ur going to be mad at your neighbor for no reason cause u got the wrong info...

first. are the pistons bad? like you visually saw it or is it something to do with the pistons like rod bearings and not the actual pistons themselves?
second. what was wrong with the car to begin with?
third. I have done several compression tests and never have the cylinders been the exact same number across all the cylinders... so i dont know if that number your telling is accurate.

A lot of times i deal with a customer that is missinformed and assuming... i tell them a general explanation of the problem cause in most cases the more i explain the more they tune out(theres a reason they hired someone to fix it). so then they go and ask other people who in most cases also do not know a thing about mechanic work and then after getting a buncha bad info they want to come at me telling me its a different part or the cause of a problem is something else.... then once im done and they see i was right they look and feel stupid.... all cause they didnt want to understand the explanation to begin with and then they go ask other people instead of asking their mechanic.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, dude your compression is good, so basically that would kind of mean your motor is pretty healthy

just make sure he puts everything back and torques everything down to spec, since he probably took your head off, from the sound of it
Old 09-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

185 across the board is perfect, there was nothing wrong with that motor and he tore it apart? id burn his god damn house down for that, good luck with that one dude, he probably saw something of value on the car and decided to sell it

Last edited by Spawne32; 09-14-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
185 across the board is perfect, there was nothing wrong with that motor and he tore it apart? id burn his god damn house down for that, good luck with that one dude, he probably saw something of value on the car and designed to sell it
Agreed with that ^

And it's even possible that engine that's currently apart might not even be your.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slapaho_ca
I own a stock 1993 acura integra. I have a stock b18a1 engine. Well last week my neibor mechanic decided to check my compression on my motor and I ended up getting 185 across the board. He told me to take it to his house so he could adjust the timing and make it run. Well today he tells me to go to his house for a talk. Next thing I know I see my motor and transmission on the ground with my head all torn apart. He says that my pistons are bad. He says he could get me another longblock for 600 to 650. I'm like Wtf. I asked the guy to make it run not take it apart. So my question is this can my compression be good even if my pistons are bad? To me this makes no sense. Sorry I'm a newbie at the Honda scene. I'm a subaru guy.
How can you do a compression test if your motor doesnt run?
Are you sure the motor on the ground is even yours? Maybe it is a spare and he's just saying its yours to sucker you out of money.
I'd call the cops and get your property back ASAP before he steals everything and claims he's never seen your car.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95 integra
How can you do a compression test if your motor doesnt run?
Are you sure the motor on the ground is even yours? Maybe it is a spare and he's just saying its yours to sucker you out of money.
I'd call the cops and get your property back ASAP before he steals everything and claims he's never seen your car.
you can easily do a compression test on a motor that doesnt run, all your doing is cranking the motor with the spark plugs out and a tester installed, the issue here is the fact that he tore the engine apart without saying anything and goes oh, i tore your **** apart, gimme 600 bucks and ill help you out.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bang his wife and daughter and kill his dog. Then call the cops and report him as a thief and scam artist.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn bud...you just screwed you and your motor....id be hitting up a lawyer ASAP
Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is this not in GDD?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
Why is this not in GDD?
Simply put.. how would you like to go into Jiffy Lube for an oil change and find that they dropped your tranny because they said the oil looked too dark. Some kid says he can fix it on the side for a few hundred bucks...

I would be pissed. I don't want ANYONE touching my car for any hunch unless I give explicit instructions.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did anyone consider that a quick look in the oil pan would show a spun bearing?
As for pulling your block without permission, that went too far. I wouldn't pull anyone's engine without permission.
"I asked the guy to make it run"... Well, that's a pretty vauge statement.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bonstokLS
Simply put.. how would you like to go into Jiffy Lube for an oil change and find that they dropped your tranny because they said the oil looked too dark. Some kid says he can fix it on the side for a few hundred bucks...

I would be pissed. I don't want ANYONE touching my car for any hunch unless I give explicit instructions.
People just need to learn to do their own ****. As for the OP it's a 50/50 situation; your neighbor is doing whatever it takes to make it run.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
People just need to learn to do their own ****. As for the OP it's a 50/50 situation; your neighbor is doing whatever it takes to make it run.

True but not everyone has the time to learn fast enough. Bad things can happen when you least expect it.

I personally would NEVER let anyone tear my engine apart unless I know for sure what is being done.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, this turned out pretty cool! I'd like to hear back from Slap a Hoe in CA before i entertain this topic anymore
Old 09-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thewrai6th
Did anyone consider that a quick look in the oil pan would show a spun bearing?
As for pulling your block without permission, that went too far. I wouldn't pull anyone's engine without permission.
"I asked the guy to make it run"... Well, that's a pretty vauge statement.
It may have been too far to pull the block, BUT he did say he told him to make it work. To me, "Make it work" means to do whatever is needed to make it work.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:57 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Op is probably in jail after taking everyones advice and beating the **** out of said neighbor

Quick Reply: is my neibor mechanic trying to hustle me?