Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed

Old 01-18-2003, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed

hey guys. i was curious what suspension set up is best for the streets?

now i basically want my car to be slightly lowered (doesnt need to be "slammed") but to handle well WITH A VERY COMFORTABLE RIDE. nothing bumpy or rough.
i was thinking of going for a true coilover set up since i know they have models for the streets and the quality is high. (so is the price!)

however, my friends and i talked and agree that i should only invest THAT MUCH $ in a true coilover set up (TEIN, JIC, etc) for auto-x. otherwise, for a strictly street car, i should go with regular Ground controls, or just regular lowering springs WITH some Koni's. or tokico 5 way adj.'s.

so what do u guys think? i tried the search but didnt find exactly what i want.

so people with EXPERIENCE please respond. if u have, driven, or riden in a car, i want to hear from u. i dont wanna see "i heard my 4th cousins bf's sister has this and it rides well."

im thinking of maybe ground controls with tokico 5 way adj. or koni shocks. but who knows.

thanks guys
Old 01-18-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (Tru Dynamix)

to handle well WITH A VERY COMFORTABLE RIDE
There's the problem.. you have to compromise.

Want comfort..stay stock.
Want handling, get higher spring rates.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (Dan GSR)

personally...I love the harsh ride...i love being able to feel the road
Old 01-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (Tru Dynamix)

can't go wrong with ground controls and adjustable shocks
Old 01-18-2003, 09:44 PM

"to handle well WITH A VERY COMFORTABLE RIDE"

those contradict each other usually
Old 01-18-2003, 10:13 PM

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (Brasspremier)

hmm..let me clairfy that..

that handles better than stock and corners better than stock, but has a comfortable ride.

basically, i want my car lowered but still feel as stock as possible.

Old 01-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

H&R OE Sport

1" drop slightly higher spring rates
Old 01-18-2003, 11:33 PM
ALF
Honda-Tech Member

ITR springs/shocks would fit you perfectly.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:42 PM

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (garados)

I had GC's with KYB AGX 4 way adjustables and the ride was really bumpy and bouncy.

I'd go with Tokico blues...they didn't bounce at all for me, and handled better than my KYB's...

Although both cars that bounced had coilovers, and the one with tokico blues had eibach springs...maybe the coilovers made them bounce.

Goldfingiz
Old 01-19-2003, 12:30 AM

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (Goldfingiz)

i know that most coilover set ups like GC's and skunks will bounce regardless due to the way they are made. i dont think any shocks can handle the lowest heights from those coilovers. but my old buddy had GC's with tokico blues and his ride was pretty smooth.

as for the itr spring/shock set up..i never thought about that. how much does it lower the car all around do u think?

and how much does that go for? itr-anything sounds expensive
Old 01-19-2003, 07:25 AM

i would go with koni yellow and eibach prokit or eibach ers sprins..this way u can adjust the height a lil using the perches on the koni..
Old 01-19-2003, 07:37 AM

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (Hybrid Accord)

koni's is a must and the spring kit you get is up to you but i woul get a coilover kit like th eground controls or similar.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:12 AM
New User

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (au-gsr)

if youre gonna get konis and springs, might as well get a true coilover setup like tein, almost the same price as getting koni yellows and springs. youre not really going to get much better handling w/out sacrificing any comforts. i would just get some H&R springs.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:24 AM
ALF
Honda-Tech Member

as for the itr spring/shock set up..i never thought about that. how much does it lower the car all around do u think?

and how much does that go for? itr-anything sounds expensive
It will bring you to stock ITR heights...which is around .75" lower than a non-ITR.

You can get the entire shock/spring setup used for -/+ $200-$300. It's all dependent on how generous or desperate the seller is. You'll also need the rear lower control arms. I'm not so sure how much those usually go for. Used pairs I've seen in the classifieds go for $60-$70.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:08 AM

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (Goldfingiz)

I had GC's with KYB AGX 4 way adjustables and the ride was really bumpy and bouncy.

I'd go with Tokico blues...they didn't bounce at all for me, and handled better than my KYB's...

Although both cars that bounced had coilovers, and the one with tokico blues had eibach springs...maybe the coilovers made them bounce.

Goldfingiz
yes the coilovers with the higher springrates made it bounce. agx are in a whole different class than blues as they are adjustable.

id say either the h&r oe, itr, or eibach prokit depending on the height and springrate you want, with either kyb gr2, tokico blues, or koni reds. you most likely dont need adjustables like the agx or yellows based on your demands and will save a good amount of money
Old 01-20-2003, 12:48 AM
Trial User

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (ALF)

ITR springs/shocks would fit you perfectly.
I agree- good comprimise !
Old 01-20-2003, 04:33 AM

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (miketegra)

Tokico Full Coilovers shipped to your house for $750. They feature 5-way adjustable shocks.

http://www.coximport.com/

Old 01-20-2003, 08:32 AM

however, my friends and i talked and agree that i should only invest THAT MUCH $ in a true coilover set up (TEIN, JIC, etc) for auto-x.
itr springs + gr2 = <$300 =/
Old 01-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (XDEep)

i'm runnin KYB AGX shocks with H&R sport springs. with the shocks on the softest setting, the ride quality is noticabley worse, but i like it. the firm feeling is very good IMO as long as it doesn't shake you like mad, which it doesn't with this setup at all. the drop is perfect with the H&R sports, too. there's no wheel gap at all, but i've never scraped or rubbed on anything (you have to take driveways at an angle though). handling is much better than stock, too. there's very little body roll.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:52 AM

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (basmasta7)

actually, i have gave it some thought. and i have a feeling tokico blues wont be able to handle a sleeve coil over like GC too well if set at a lower setting.

so i figured i might go with illuminas or konis (which costs roughly$500). so im thinking if shocks will run me $500 and GC's will run u a good $ 300, thats easily a $800 set up. So for $800, what REAL coilover set ups can compare for that lowered look YET comfort in the streets?

anyone? i just might start a new thread about this

[Modified by Tru Dynamix, 8:01 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like others have said, anything that is 'comfortable' on the street is going to be a compromise on performance, having said that, I think ITR OEM springs while having "soft" spring rates compared to the aftermarket have a pretty good blend of comfort and performance. I'm running ITR springs on stock GSR shocks and ride feels just like stock. I plan to match these up with Neuspeed Konis soon (GroupBuy here:https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=380419) because of their adjustability and knowing that if I ever decide on getting custom rate Ground-Controls I know my shocks will be up to the task.

Look around for ITR springs, you can usually pick them up for $100-$120. I just bought a second set for my bro-in-law's EK.

[Modified by emr88, 8:44 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (emr88)

eibach prokit with kyb agx adjustables with 2f 1r settings is the closest I could get to stock ride quality while having better handling. The drop at 1.3~1.5" is conservative too.

compared to my setup, my friend has a neuspeed race with tokico illumina adjustables and his ride was a little more harsh, but had better handling than mine.

I think a 1.3~1.8 inch drop with either KYB or Tokico adjustables is more than enough for your application.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (Calavera)

[QUOTE]eibach prokit with kyb agx adjustables with 2f 1r settings is the closest I could get to stock ride quality while having better handling. The drop at 1.3~1.5" is conservative too.
[QUOTE]

I am running 2F/3R and i don t think it is bad at all. Howver i might put hr sports on in the spring for a lower drop
Old 01-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (grngsr01)

I'm have a '94 GSR hatch, and am kinda in the same boat as this guy. I'm basically looking for a 1.5" drop, w/ improved handling, and still a relatively decent ride (not as important as handling), and am looking for the lowest price possible while retaining as much quality as possible. Do I go GC w/ new shocks, or lowering springs and new shocks? Thanks
Old 01-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed (GSRGuy17)

Get Koni Yellows And ITR Springs. Drop the Koni Perch one notch (Or more, its up to you)

Get a nice Drop with a pretty decent ride.

I had this setup, it rode REALLY close to stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: most comfortable street suspension set up? opinions needed