Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Mixing clutch components, exedy w/ fuji

Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mixing clutch components, exedy w/ fuji

Hello

Car is a 2001 acura integra LS

I bought the exedy khc05 and from reviews, it says the pressure plate is incredibly soft. Something i do not want. Would there be an issue mixing the exedy friction disc with an OEM pressure plate made by FCC Fuji?

I am a fan of the oem clutch pedal feel and would like to retain that.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Mixing clutch components, exedy w/ fuji

Sure with reputable brands no issue, heck kids on ebay do it all the time claim it's an "exedy kit" yet give you a pos friction disc it's always stated somewhere in small writing.

I looked up that clutch I says it's a oem replacement, I see no reason it would be softer than the oem one it's already soft. There's no harm in it just seems od
Old 11-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
Sure with reputable brands no issue, heck kids on ebay do it all the time claim it's an "exedy kit" yet give you a pos friction disc it's always stated somewhere in small writing.

I looked up that clutch I says it's a oem replacement, I see no reason it would be softer than the oem one it's already soft. There's no harm in it just seems od
All consensus says that it is much lighter than OEM. I've actually driven an rsx-s with exedy replacement and do remember it being incredibly soft.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I have the Exedy OEM replacement clutch in my GSR and its been great. I have 35,000 miles of **** pounding on it, launches, ripping shifts, 10 track days, and it is still performing great.

Yeah, the pedal feel is not "heavy" but who really cares. I bought it on amazon for $110.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brand new clutches are typically softer. They increase in pedal effort after a while. While the Exedy replacement is probably a little bit softer than stock, when *either* is brand new, they feel like pushing on air.

Are you buying a brand new pressure plate from Honda? I would buy the whole clutch set from Honda if you're going that route. The bearing and disk are of higher quality than the exedy replacement...and you will have already covered the bulk of expense with the pressure plate. Snag some Honda high temp urea grease while you're at it. Nothing works quite as well as that stuff.

Alternatively, you could buy a Exedy stage 1 for a more agressive feel.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Brand new clutches are typically softer. They increase in pedal effort after a while. While the Exedy replacement is probably a little bit softer than stock, when *either* is brand new, they feel like pushing on air.

Are you buying a brand new pressure plate from Honda? I would buy the whole clutch set from Honda if you're going that route. The bearing and disk are of higher quality than the exedy replacement...and you will have already covered the bulk of expense with the pressure plate. Snag some Honda high temp urea grease while you're at it. Nothing works quite as well as that stuff.

Alternatively, you could buy a Exedy stage 1 for a more agressive feel.
That is good news that it gets harder over time. I may just stick with the exedy replacement and get use to that feel. Going to pick up the package tomorrow and see what brand the throwout and pilot bearing is. If not koyo or nachi, i am going to buy oem throwout and pilot bearing off of ebay.

But do you think the fuji pressure plate will work well with the exedy friction disc?
Old 11-27-2015, 05:48 AM

The FCC plate should work fine with an exedy disk. Quite a few S2000 people who were trying to find a cheaper clutch solution that wouldn't fly to pieces would buy a FCC Honda disk and mate it to an Exedy PP. You're doing it backwards...but it *should* still work.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
That is good news that it gets harder over time. I may just stick with the exedy replacement and get use to that feel. Going to pick up the package tomorrow and see what brand the throwout and pilot bearing is. If not koyo or nachi, i am going to buy oem throwout and pilot bearing off of ebay.

But do you think the fuji pressure plate will work well with the exedy friction disc?
The Exedy replacements lately have come packaged with a china made throw out bearing. Pilot bearing I cant recall the manufacturer. If you plan on mixing clutch components, be sure they are new pieces. The friction material on the disc relies on a clean pressure plate surface to grab onto.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious

When I was replacing the OEM clutch in my 00 Integra with an Exedy OEM replacement 4 years ago, the throwout bearing had the same marking as the original one and looked exactly the same.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:54 PM

I don't believe Exedy kits come with Nachi bearings. I think they now come with Nacho bearings. They're not your bearings.

Sorry.

For real though. They don't consistently come with Nachi bearings. And even if they do, they are likely not the same quality as the ones spec'd by Honda.

The Exedy B/D/H series kits are still not bad overall. Some K series applications work well. Its a firm "no" for F20C engines.