Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Metal on metal noise near wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal on metal noise near wheels?

Lately randomly when im turning corners or go over bumps randomly like somewhere near my front tire something starts making noise like metal on metal. When i slow down to see if my friend can look out it usually goes away. it doesnt go away all the time when i slow down. It just randomly happens dono what is wrong. If anyon has any idea what it is. Its a screeching noise type like metal to metal. Any help would be awsome thanx

Kirk
Old 02-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Metal on metal noise near wheels? (Pitiful X)

Something similar happend to me, but it was a rock lodged in my disc brakes.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Metal on metal noise near wheels? (Spectrum24x)

Look at your caliper shields. One may be bent in towards the wheel and make a god awful metal on metal screeching sound at times. Just listen for where it's coming from, lift that tire up, spin it in neutral, and see if it makes that noise. Check it out.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Trial User

shoot..i guess i wasnt only guy having this problem...mine is making noise sometimes,,,its soo gay..u rolling down street with ..even on slow speed..i guess some rock stick in there like specturm24x said..then it goes away like nothing happend.i feel rotors if i have any uneven surface or dig line on rotor..but it was 100%smooth...i really dont know..its really gay tho..
Old 02-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problems as you, kinda sounded really bad metal clanking. Just had a couple of rocks stuck on the disk brake shield. Try pushing it back a bit to see if any rocks fall down
Old 02-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your brake pads, the wear indicator may be what is squealing
Old 02-13-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Metal on metal noise near wheels? (vtecfed)

if it is your brake wear indicator.. they created that special annoying high pitched squealing noise to let u know u need to replace the brake pads..it's their way of annoying u enough to take it to the shop... hehe..
Old 02-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be a bad wheel bearing. I had one that started as a metal scraping noise, then turned into a constant clicking noise... sounded like something hitting the brake rotor, then it was sounding somewhat like a dead CV joint, but it turned out that the wheel bearing was coming apart pretty quickly. It didn't make any noise when I jacked up the car and turned that wheel, nor did it have any noticable slop in it. Apparently it needed load on it as it turned to show the symptoms. As soon as I pulled the axle out of it, I could feel a ton of slop when I grabbed the hub. This thing was coming apart pretty badly, and it wouldn't have been pretty if I kept driving on it.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Metal on metal noise near wheels? (Chris DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shoot..i guess i wasnt only guy having this problem...mine is making noise sometimes,,,its soo gay..u rolling down street with ..even on slow speed..i guess some rock stick in there like specturm24x said..then it goes away like nothing happend.i feel rotors if i have any uneven surface or dig line on rotor..but it was 100%smooth...i really dont know..its really gay tho..</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh iam talking about Front btw..only left side.lol
Old 02-13-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Metal on metal noise near wheels? (Chris DC2)

i think its the baring i dono it goes on and off and now its happenning more and more.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd check the bearing... grab the top of the tire and try to wiggle it, then jack the car up and try it again (one hand on the top, one on the bottom). It should be completely solid. If there's any slop and your lug nuts are tight, you have found a problem. If you can't feel any slop yet, remove the axle nut, pull the axle out, then grab the hub and try to wiggle it. That's what I had to do to one of mine. If the brake rotor has the screws still installed, you can just grab that instead of the hub; if the rotor is loose, you'll have to remove it so you that can grab the hub itself.

Once you get to the point of dealing with the bare hub (ie no wheel, brake, or axle installed), it should be farily obvious if it's bad. It's supposed to be very solid (no slop in any direction) and spin easily without making any noises. Try pushing on it as you spin it, to similate some load. Mine would make the scraping noises when I did that and when I drove on it, but not when I just spinned it without any load on it.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: (Weston)

it was the break warning thing
Old 02-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pitiful X)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pitiful X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it was the break warning thing</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good... the wheel bearing isn't exactly a quick and easy replacement unless you swap the whole knuckle.