Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Manual Transmission fluid leak.????? PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Manual Transmission fluid leak.????? PLEASE HELP

I have a 94 Integra Ls and the passenger side axle to trany keeps leaking? I have replaced the oil seal twice. Once with a napa oil seal since that didnt fix it, I replaced the oil seal again with the factory one. But it still leaks. I cant figure out what the problem is.. Could it be the axle for some od reason is letting the transmission fluid through? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my concern
Old 05-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Manual Transmission fluid leak.????? PLEASE HELP

Originally Posted by USMC_RussianNVP
I have a 94 Integra Ls and the passenger side axle to trany keeps leaking? I have replaced the oil seal twice. Once with a napa oil seal since that didnt fix it, I replaced the oil seal again with the factory one. But it still leaks. I cant figure out what the problem is.. Could it be the axle for some od reason is letting the transmission fluid through? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my concern
How far did you push the seal in? Sometimes people like to push it in all the ways when you're only to push it tell its flush. Id check.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the seal is flush and its evenly installed so no one side is in further than the other. ????????
Old 05-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the seal is flush and its evenly installed so no one side is in further than the other. ????????
it sounds like it should be good. i could only guess that either you damaged the seal when putting the axle spline shaft in the trans....or you have a trans case leak that is running back to the area where you axle goes into the trans as you drive and it appears to be the axle seal that is leaking. these trans cases do leak after a while. there are no gaskets on the trans case for most early integras. possibly all the integras ( i only have done he manual 5-spd transmissions on the early integras thus far). so the later integras and the auto transmissions for integras IDK
Old 05-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm that sounds interesting, but i had the trany out a month ago to replace the clutch and i cleaned it up very thorough and didnt see anything out the norm like cracks etc. The seal also was in great shape when i checked it after. This problem has been occuring for a while and after evaluating the seal several times i was unable to determine what was wrong. The trany fluid apparently hits the axle when im driving it causes the axle to spray a good amount in the engine bay. This is what it appears to be doing not exaclty sure since i dont have a way to see inside the engine bay when driving. Any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could jack up the car high enough for you to get under it but put it on descent jack stands and have a friend run it through the gears but dont rev the hell out of it....keep it around 2750-3250 rpms in 5th gear and see if you can see it leak. just keep away from touching the axles...the tires...and the exhaust will get hot obviously so be carefull there too. and watch that you dont grab anywhere near the fans because they might kick on. also watch out for the belts and pullies. but thats one way to try and spot the leak. you may have damaged the seal when putting the axle in. but with the car stationary but in gear and running you can see if the case is leaking. the case halves are put together and sealed with RTV or honda bond. there are no gaskets in there. possibly the rtv or honda bond is old and has a pin hole leak in it that forces fluid out while under pressure.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I do not recommend doing that.

I suggest ordering a new OEM honda axle seal and try searching here on the forum for the detailed write-up of ''how to install''
Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm that sounds interesting, but i had the trany out a month ago to replace the clutch and i cleaned it up very thorough and didnt see anything out the norm like cracks etc. The seal also was in great shape when i checked it after. This problem has been occuring for a while and after evaluating the seal several times i was unable to determine what was wrong. The trany fluid apparently hits the axle when im driving it causes the axle to spray a good amount in the engine bay. This is what it appears to be doing not exaclty sure since i dont have a way to see inside the engine bay when driving. Any suggestions?
Hows the axle boots? One might be split and is throwing grease.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
you could jack up the car high enough for you to get under it but put it on descent jack stands and have a friend run it through the gears but dont rev the hell out of it....keep it around 2750-3250 rpms in 5th gear and see if you can see it leak. just keep away from touching the axles...the tires...and the exhaust will get hot obviously so be carefull there too. and watch that you dont grab anywhere near the fans because they might kick on. also watch out for the belts and pullies. but thats one way to try and spot the leak. you may have damaged the seal when putting the axle in. but with the car stationary but in gear and running you can see if the case is leaking. the case halves are put together and sealed with RTV or honda bond. there are no gaskets in there. possibly the rtv or honda bond is old and has a pin hole leak in it that forces fluid out while under pressure.
Glad to see your still alive and well...lol
I don't recommend anyone to do this unless you want to be killed or injured very badly.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I have thought about lifting the car up on jack stands but i dont know how much i trust it while the wheels are in motion. It might be my only way. I have a garage i can put the car on a lift. It should be safer lol.

I had a suggestion that maybe the axle was letting the oil through. I just dont understand how that would be at all possible.

the axle boot is fine and its definitely not axle grease its trany fluid.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91_LS
Glad to see your still alive and well...lol
I don't recommend anyone to do this unless you want to be killed or injured very badly.
LOL yeah i used to do **** like this before i had lifts LOL i have a degree in structural engineering as well as many other certifications but basically i know how to support things. the rotating tires was my main concern due to the fat that i would have to stop them and they might have rocked the car when i hit the breaks LOL. i used to get the cars off the ground like 2 feet sometimes back in those days. then i made a lift using 1/2 inch mild steel bar (6 inch and 2 inch) and i also had 1 inch mild steel bar. i made a spreader bar that i simply put on my jack and i could reach both lift points on each side of the car. so with 2 3-ton jacks i could lift a car faster. but only like 18 inches. the jack mount was placed on a 60 by 6 inch wide bar that i welded all the gussets and the short bar stock piece to. i placed the jack mount 20 inches from the front to balance the car weight. the other 40 inches went to the rear lift point. i only used this for small compact cars like the honda accords, civics, etc. i did some crazy stuff back then LOL
Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^LMAO yeah my dad was just as crazy. To the OP,the axle cant let oil threw unless the seal is bad. Try checking the censer for the speedometer cable. There's 2 hoses on it that bring oil threw,one might be leaking.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good to go ill look at it in the am.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^LMAO yeah my dad was just as crazy. To the OP,the axle cant let oil threw unless the seal is bad. Try checking the censer for the speedometer cable. There's 2 hoses on it that bring oil threw,one might be leaking.
doesnt that sensor have power steering fluid going to it? the line comes from the power steering rack to that sensor i believe. are you sure its tranny fluid leaking?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doesnt that sensor have power steering fluid going to it? the line comes from the power steering rack to that sensor i believe. are you sure its tranny fluid leaking?
Correct^ The tranny should have the same oil you put in the engine. The power steering is a pink like red color or can be clear like break fluid and some people mistake it for trans fluid.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Correct^ The tranny should have the same oil you put in the engine. The power steering is a pink like red color or can be clear like break fluid and some people mistake it for trans fluid.
right. but i have seen some really dirty power steering fluid too LOL. hopefully he can tell by the color fluid.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right. but i have seen some really dirty power steering fluid too LOL. hopefully he can tell by the color fluid.
Or by the feel of the fluid/oil that is leaking. Engine oil is thick as PS fluid will feel thin like break fluid. You can also smell it to tell if you know the smell of your fluids.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or by the feel of the fluid/oil that is leaking. Engine oil is thick as PS fluid will feel thin like break fluid. You can also smell it to tell if you know the smell of your fluids.
yeah i see the guys in the shop smelling fluid sometimes...looks funny as hell. i even bumped one of their arms one time as i walked by him...on purpose so it got on his nose cause he was smelling the dipstick LOL. i prefer to go by look though and since most customers are return customers i know their vehicle history so looks and mileage i have on hand to check it out. sometimes though i can tell my tech dont know what hes smelling when i see him smelling and then have a confused look and he smells it again LOL i usually go see what it looks like though so i am okay with recommending fluid change or letting it go if it looks good and the mileage is not overdue on it.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LMFAO!!! Your just as bad as me honking the horn when someones under it.lol But at least they only get a nice sized bump instead of cancer or waking up with an extra "A-HOLE" on there forehead from the oil.lol
Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LMFAO!!! Your just as bad as me honking the horn when someones under it.lol But at least they only get a nice sized bump instead of cancer or waking up with an extra "A-HOLE" on there forehead from the oil.lol
yeah i used to be a field tester for diesel trucks. i'd pull the horn when my buddy would be flipping the hood cover open or something. train horns are the best though. all we tested was emissions so we were there on a site for only a few minutes depending on the fleet size. working with CARB was one of the coolest jobs i ever had but it got old. i got tired of traveling all over the state. but the fun on the job with little pranks didnt stop LOL i have so many funny stories from that job alone LOL
Old 05-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you tried checkin the crush washer on the drain plug and the fill plug?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you ever figure out this issue I have the same problem.. changed the seal 3 times.. I have become a master at taking out the axle.. and i did spin the wheels and check its leaking from the seal its crazy..at first i thought i over filled tranny now its just screwing up my drive way
Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tantrumcrx
you ever figure out this issue I have the same problem.. changed the seal 3 times.. I have become a master at taking out the axle.. and i did spin the wheels and check its leaking from the seal its crazy..at first i thought i over filled tranny now its just screwing up my drive way
have you tried using seals from the dealer? maybe cheap ones from your basic parts store are not a quality part? by now i would assume that you are not messing up the seal while putting the axle in the trans so the seal would be my guess. is the seal seat in the trans case maybe gouged from it being removed without caution using a flat blade screw driver? if so, try putting honda bond or RTV in there before installing the seal. but dont put too much. these are the only things i can think of if you are absolutely sure its the seal thats leaking
Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I have looked around every where
Old 05-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to inform you but an yseals not from honda for the driveaxel seals will leak.

your problem is being cheap.

go get real seals, their even made different.

the cheap napa ones aren't even made right

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission fluid leak.????? PLEASE HELP