Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   Ls Vtec or GSR swap? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/ls-vtec-gsr-swap-2689492/)

LuDog 12-02-2009 04:43 PM

Re: Ls Vtec or GSR swap?

hey why hate on what you got i need help with shit who can help someone out i feel the same i still dont have a good enough answer after reading this novel of postes i know i am new but come on nobody is in p, az im repin out here nobody gots a ride like mine..... or should i say less

racebum 12-02-2009 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by LuDog (Post 40824656)
hey why hate on what you got i need help with shit who can help someone out i feel the same i still dont have a good enough answer after reading this novel of postes i know i am new but come on nobody is in p, az im repin out here nobody gots a ride like mine..... or should i say less

http://englishgrammar101.com/

ILS_09 12-02-2009 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by GSi-R (Post 40822639)
I answered why the bottomend goes im questionin ur 90% show me ur evidence how 90% of these builds built wrong.
Im downplaying GSR motors cause the stock performance is shithouse and he will really regretting not rebuilding his own engine if he comes across a lemon, Whether it be from a craigslist or your friends house most ppl dont give out a warranty on these used engines. But engine builders do.
500-700hp builds??>lmaoo these motors are certainly not using a stock gsr engines and if they do it will only be the only time you will see that figure on the dyno before they see pieces of cylinderwalls flying out the block.
Your definition of "reliability" lacks logic. So you're telling me that people build ls/vtec or b20vtec for reliability? Built motors that are meant to be beaten day in and day out is going to outlast a stock gsr motor?
My definition lol or your definition? so your saying just because you have a built motor its going be beaten day in and day out. A built motor will piss all over any used GSR in terms of reliability - Your arguement is invalid.
I'll be surprise if your builds even make it to 150k.

I will continue to build my 2.0L frankenstiens with greater hp/torque than a B18C will ever output..

A kid who can't spell and punctuate correctly is expected to have some form of credibility lol. Shows how much you actually read and do research because if you did, I would at least expect some better responses. Seriously, it's not worth my time laying out your embarrassments. I'm going to leave you with some questions and if you can answer it without you contradicting yourself like you did on your other post, then you can suppose you're right and I'm wrong. So answer this: If a built motor wasn't design for horsepower, durability, or even abuse, then what is the sole function of a built motor? Longevity and reliability lol? Before you even reply back, consider looking up the differences between durability and reliability lol. But just in case you forgot what this thread was all about, the kid asked for a RELIABLE setup, in this case a ls/vtec or Gsr swap. Since he didn't offer any sufficient evidence on building a motor before or a large enough budget to support a ls/vtec build, I suggested the gsr swap. You suggested, “If you want reliablility i suggest you rebuild your own motor so you know everything and every part is in working condition.” But his only two options offered was “ls/vtec or gsr swap” leading me to conclude “Your definition of "reliability" lacks logic. So you're telling me that people build ls/vtec or b20vtec for reliability?” Now go back and answer my questions. Shows how little you actually pay attention to your remarks.

b20btegg 12-02-2009 05:54 PM

^^ agreed

josh-roy 12-02-2009 06:17 PM

If you can build it, LS VTEC.

If you can't, b18c.

If you can't do LS VTEC right, then there really isn't any reason to do it at all.

racebum 12-02-2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by josh-roy (Post 40825768)
If you can build it, LS VTEC.

If you can't, b18c.

If you can't do LS VTEC right, then there really isn't any reason to do it at all.

you do realize there are some good threads which dispute this superior lsv bs on the dyno in the all motor forum. if everything else is identical you have literally a few cc's of displacement which came out to 1-2hp

GagnarTheUnruly 12-02-2009 07:09 PM

I don't understand the current fascination with Frankenstein engines. It seems like any displacement benefit of an LS/VTEC would never be offset by the initial cost of a proper setup + transmission. Starting from scratch, could you ever make an LS/VTEC more powerful than a stock B18C1 for any given amount of money?

norcalB18 12-02-2009 07:54 PM

damn what a good thread. looks like ils09 took it home on that one

SoTexDC2 12-02-2009 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly (Post 40826423)
I don't understand the current fascination with Frankenstein engines. It seems like any displacement benefit of an LS/VTEC would never be offset by the initial cost of a proper setup + transmission. Starting from scratch, could you ever make an LS/VTEC more powerful than a stock B18C1 for any given amount of money?

It is not a current fascination, these "frankenstein" setups have been common since the mid-late 90's. In the beginning, when this generation of honda tuners started out, it was MUCH harder to obtain a swap. Most of the knowledge came about way before the JDM importing craze. It simply made more sense for an LS Integra owner to source a vtec head and work with the parts in their possession. I still agree with this logic, to an extent.

I would only recommend doing an LS/VTEC If you have a good engine builder, or somebody with experience to help you out. It costs a LOT of money to build a motor completely, wether it starts life as a GSR or LS/VTEC. When you have a specific build plan in mind, you will choose your stroke, bore, compression, etc. and select a block accordingly.

This argument is somewhat pointless. I feel that a GSR motor is the best option for you, for just about every reason you have given us. I don't think your ready to take on the task of assembling your own motor.

GSi-R 12-03-2009 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ILS_09 (Post 40825418)
A kid who can't spell and punctuate correctly is expected to have some form of credibility lol.
Sorry Mr Spell check, your really taking this to heart looking back on my previous posts, its the internet retard not a formal essay.

Shows how much you actually read and do research because if you did, I would at least expect some better responses. Seriously, it's not worth my time laying out your embarrassments.
Im sorry, you have emabarrased me with your great replies :thumbup:

I'm going to leave you with some questions and if you can answer it without you contradicting yourself

I first posted because, retards such as your self deem LSVTECs and B20's are in your world 90% unreliable. Ive seen countess B20's , LSVTEC last after getting beaten on every track day, and i have witnessed B18C2's needing rebuilds after just one track day, B18C7 is a much stronger engine but where not talking about that..

like you did on your other post, then you can suppose you're right and I'm wrong. So answer this: If a built motor wasn't design for horsepower, durability, or even abuse, then what is the sole function of a built motor? Longevity and reliability lol? Before you even reply back, consider looking up the differences between durability and reliability lol. But just in case you forgot what this thread was all about, the kid asked for a RELIABLE setup, in this case a ls/vtec or Gsr swap. Since he didn't offer any sufficient evidence on building a motor before or a large enough budget to support a ls/vtec build, I suggested the gsr swap. You suggested, “If you want reliablility i suggest you rebuild your own motor so you know everything and every part is in working condition.” But his only two options offered was “ls/vtec or gsr swap” leading me to conclude “Your definition of "reliability" lacks logic. So you're telling me that people build ls/vtec or b20vtec for reliability?” Now go back and answer my questions. Shows how little you actually pay attention to your remarks.

An LSVTEC is a built motor, its not something to come out of factory, it has to be built. Therefore your getting a good deal reliabilty,cheap and somewhat better performance.
I first posted due to the ignorant people out there claiming crap on LSVTEC. It must be a habit of building shithouse motors in the US then. I then suggested to pay someone to build him an LSVTEC with all confirmed working parts as ive witnessed heaps of ppl swapping in B18C2's , blowing smoke,coolant etc straight away.
LS engines make more torque downlow, and you combine a vtec head and voila instant torque. Even better would be a B20VTEC..

But each to there own, i know why the people with the lsvtecs and b20's are quiet about this cause they want retards that swap in shithouse b18c2's to waste their money and get ripped in the track and 1/4mile.

GagnarTheUnruly 12-03-2009 03:04 PM

^^ Can someone ban this noob flaming people and calling them retards? Dude, you should chill because you aren't adding anything positive to this thread.

josh-roy 12-03-2009 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by GSi-R (Post 40833817)
An LSVTEC is a built motor, its not something to come out of factory, it has to be built. Therefore your getting a good deal reliabilty,cheap and somewhat better performance.
I first posted due to the ignorant people out there claiming crap on LSVTEC. It must be a habit of building shithouse motors in the US then. I then suggested to pay someone to build him an LSVTEC with all confirmed working parts as ive witnessed heaps of ppl swapping in B18C2's , blowing smoke,coolant etc straight away.
LS engines make more torque downlow, and you combine a vtec head and voila instant torque. Even better would be a B20VTEC..

But each to there own, i know why the people with the lsvtecs and b20's are quiet about this cause they want retards that swap in shithouse b18c2's to waste their money and get ripped in the track and 1/4mile.

So what your saying is.... You slap on any VTEC head on any old LS or B20 block and it then becomes built?

racebum 12-03-2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by GSi-R (Post 40833817)

show us dyno graphs of identically built b18c's and lsvtechs.

oh wait, they have been done and are in all motor. the difference is basically non existent.

the only reason i even post in retarded threads like this is in hope that some kid won't bolt a vtec head on his stock ls bottom end and cry in a few months when it flies apart

Zappythebum 12-03-2009 04:38 PM

Strictly speaking of price, wouldnt a stock longblock B18C1(~$1500 hmotorsonline.com) cost more than building up a LS/Vtec motor with near to stock internals?

ILS_09 12-03-2009 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly (Post 40835716)
^^ Can someone ban this noob flaming people and calling them retards? Dude, you should chill because you aren't adding anything positive to this thread.

I agree, the kid is too obsessed with his own standards totally forgetting the point of this thread lol. This is not the all motor/drag section, and he keeps on going on about smoking gsr (I guess he really wants to WIN all the time hahahaha), downplaying them like they're worthless. Then again, I wonder, “Hmmm, where do ls/vtec or b20/vtec builders get their heads from?” B16, or b18c possibly? Lol. Besides, none of us informed individuals have “BOMBASTICALLY” put down the potential of ls/vtec or b20vtec builds like he did to the gsr’s motor. I guess he really lacks interpretation skills because this thread was about “RELIABILITY” with no evidence of a set budget, hp goal, or any information that the creator of this tread has the skills to build one himself.

SoTexDC2 12-03-2009 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zappythebum (Post 40836623)
Strictly speaking of price, wouldnt a stock longblock B18C1(~$1500 hmotorsonline.com) cost more than building up a LS/Vtec motor with near to stock internals?

By the time you figure the cost of getting the block bored & honed, have ARP rod bolts retrofitted into the LS rods, buy a "vtec conversion kit", main & rod bearings, rings, pistons, oil pump, water pump, gaskets, and everything else required build a proper LS/VTEC - no. It is much cheaper to buy a GSR motor.

IMO, there is no point in tearing down a motor, only to reuse critical components, like bearings, rings, oil pump, etc. It's just not worth the time it takes.

If you want to skimp on all things that will make a motor reliable, I suppose you could purchase only a vtec head, head gasket, vtec coversion kit, and have the rod bolts retrofitted. But how long that will last, depends on the condition/milage of the LS motor you are starting with. I certainly would not be boosting one of these budget motors...

ILS_09 12-03-2009 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by idrivesideways (Post 40836514)
show us dyno graphs of identically built b18c's and lsvtechs.

oh wait, they have been done and are in all motor. the difference is basically non existent.

the only reason i even post in retarded threads like this is in hope that some kid won't bolt a vtec head on his stock ls bottom end and cry in a few months when it flies apart

x1,000,000. Shows how much he actually read.

ILS_09 12-03-2009 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by SoTexDC2 (Post 40836816)
By the time you figure the cost of getting the block bored & honed, have ARP rod bolts retrofitted into the LS rods, buy a "vtec conversion kit", main & rod bearings, rings, pistons, oil pump, water pump, gaskets, and everything else required build a proper LS/VTEC - no. It is much cheaper to buy a GSR motor.

IMO, there is no point in tearing down a motor, only to reuse critical components, like bearings, rings, oil pump, etc. It's just not worth the time it takes.

If you want to skimp on all things that will make a motor reliable, I suppose you could purchase only a vtec head, head gasket, vtec coversion kit, and have the rod bolts retrofitted. But how long that will last, depends on the condition/milage of the LS motor you are starting with. I certainly would not be boosting one of these budget motors...

I agree.

mouab18c1 12-03-2009 08:10 PM

i think Moderators should just ban threads like this LOL

rhymeshark916 12-04-2009 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by mouab18c1 (Post 40839022)
i think Moderators should just ban threads like this LOL

No. Because this is not the OP's fault. We know who to blame.

rhymeshark916 12-04-2009 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by SpEeDyX (Post 40818286)
Exactly, it all depends on your goals and what you want out of it. If you want a nice stock motor i would find a jdm gsr. I had a ls and swapped it out for a gsr hugee difference. I also did i/h/e, racing clutch, skunk2 im and mounts.

You ever dyno your junk?

slowdc123 12-04-2009 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, it really helped me out, Just for the record I am not a kid, lol...But i do have a budget bc it is my daily driver plus i have 2 kids. So i may be leaning toward a swap, i would just have to locate a good condition strong motor. Yes "ILS 09" i wouldnt be building a ls vtec myself but i do know 2 good shops with strong reputation and success in the past. What about h22? Seems like not alot of people go for this route? Not a good choice?

huckaboo 12-04-2009 10:42 AM

i have an ls/vtec that is a b18b1 bottom end and a b16 head. i bought the head off some guy on craigslist who bought it off someone and he had no idea how many miles were on it or if anything was wrong with it... i took apart my stock motor which i beat the crap out of and already had 130,000 miles on it, put the b16 head on it hoping it will work. (yes i did all the work myself mechanically and i am no mechanic. the wiring i had done by John at Street Solutions... he does amazing work!) i have had it for about 3 months now with no leaks and no problems what so ever other than it needs a tune. i can keep up with type R integras no problem! also i spent under $1000 on the total build. within the past 3 months iv put about 9000 miles on it and its been a hard 9000 miles! LS/vtec is very reliable i think. i drove it over 6 hours away and back in 2 days and it didnt have a single problem. LS/vtec is the way to go!

SergEK 12-04-2009 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by slowdc123 (Post 40809340)
What do you guys think? trying to decide which to do based on which one is more reliable and which one would be cheaper?

F20B - more powerful and about the same price -- skip the B series

racebum 12-04-2009 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by slowdc123 (Post 40844140)
Thanks for all the info guys, it really helped me out, Just for the record I am not a kid, lol...But i do have a budget bc it is my daily driver plus i have 2 kids. So i may be leaning toward a swap, i would just have to locate a good condition strong motor. Yes "ILS 09" i wouldnt be building a ls vtec myself but i do know 2 good shops with strong reputation and success in the past. What about h22? Seems like not alot of people go for this route? Not a good choice?

lot of it is because the b series are drop in. h22s require tuning, wiring and different engine mounts. oh yes, and a different exhaust. the jdm itr swap with a nice tight lsd transmission and ecu run around $3400 shipped to your door. drop in and drive. the h22 can work, it's just more work to get it done. also weighs slightly more. 70lbs if i remember right