Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Ls vtec or full gsr swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls vtec or full gsr swap?

hello Honda members i have a question for you.i have a 96 integra ls and was wondering what would be more logical, a full gsr swap with tranny for around 2500- 3000 bucks with 90000 on the motor or putting a vtec head on my car that has 130000.just wondering the pros and cons.thanks abunch
Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls vtec or full gsr swap?

ls vtec w b16 trans
Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any wrench turning skills? Do you know how to build a motor? Are you going to race it? Simple questions like that will help you determine which build is right for you. IMHO I would pick a GSR anyday.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gsr is way more reliable than an ls vtec. Unless you really know what your doing ls vtec is just going to give you problems.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gsr = reliable
ls vtec = alot of fixes
Old 09-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just to be street driven and the trany is going to be a gsr but the guy that is putting this in knows what he is doing. just asking 2500 to 3000 for the motor trany and everything else including the install.is it a fair price.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

Won't an ls-vtec cost about 2500-3000 to do it right?
I say go for the GSR. Way more reliable, easy, and no constant worry of the motor failing. lol
Old 09-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by singlecamslamed
Won't an ls-vtec cost about 2500-3000 to do it right?
I say go for the GSR. Way more reliable, easy, and no constant worry of the motor failing. lol
Listen to this man, he speaks only truth.
I have had both I use to drive a boosted 96
ls/vtech civic hatch and the cash I spent fixing
problems almost felt endless, now I drive a 01
gsr teg. You shouldn't wonder why.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to be rude but something tells me that you are going to go ls vtec no matter what we tell you but I feel the need to strongly urge you to the gsr motor. The gsr block has a girdle, ls block does not. gsr rods use something like 9mm bolts and ls blocks use something like 8mm. For explanatory purposes those sizes will suffice. gsr rods are stronger than ls rods. gsr crankshaft is stronger than the ls. there is a reason why honda gave us an 8200 rpm redline on the gsr. because it was built to handle it. it is better balanced than the ls block and has stiffer valve springs. ls motor is around 7000rpm if im not mistaken. my point is that I am trying to come up with what ever I can think of to keep you away from ls vtec. good luck with what ever you do.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B18C1 + B16 tranny for my daily driver and I still get 30-32 mpg
Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
B18C1 + B16 tranny for my daily driver and I still get 30-32 mpg
X2. GSR all day.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thinkin bout the gsr
Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're having someone do the work means that you have no skills. Lets say you put in the ls/vtec and some **** occurs. You're gonna be running back to the some dude and paying $$$ to get it fix. Buy the stock GSR install it and call it a day
Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very true ls vtec will be a money sink if you cant fix the problems yourself or dont have access to parts and tools. gsr will drop in and run great. b20vtec if u like headaches!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
Not to be rude but something tells me that you are going to go ls vtec no matter what we tell you but I feel the need to strongly urge you to the gsr motor. The gsr block has a girdle, ls block does not. gsr rods use something like 9mm bolts and ls blocks use something like 8mm. For explanatory purposes those sizes will suffice. gsr rods are stronger than ls rods. gsr crankshaft is stronger than the ls. there is a reason why honda gave us an 8200 rpm redline on the gsr. because it was built to handle it. it is better balanced than the ls block and has stiffer valve springs. ls motor is around 7000rpm if im not mistaken. my point is that I am trying to come up with what ever I can think of to keep you away from ls vtec. good luck with what ever you do.
I hands down agree with this as well. Known a few guys who went LS VTEC and wow so many issues. So many head jobs. GS-R is so much more well rounded and balanced for DD and simple bolt ons will give you more than enough HP to have fun with. Unless you want to have HP to blow doors off, your GS-R will have plently of HP to play "cat & mouse" with most cars out there. It's one thing to have a car to 'go go go' with, but you know what man? Why not enjoy your ride and not worry about rushing. Give yourself some extra time to get to work and enjoy the drive lol.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yet another LS-Vtec vs GSR thread..

Out of the box the GSR is the more bullet proof build...and if you ask me 2500-3000 (Is that the actual cost of the swap?) Is ridiculous if you're paying that much for the swap alone..

In any case...If you're going to BUILD the LS/VTEC right, and reinforce it's weaknesses it will perform as well, maybe even better then a stock GSR. If you're not going to take the necessary steps to build an LS VTEC right then get the GSR..it's more reliable, and offers sufficient performance straight out the box and prolly would be less time consuming.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cost of making a reliable LS VTEC far outweighs that of the stock GSR. After the cylinder sleeving, better rods/pistons, machining etc it will cost much more. It will be as reliable but nothing compares to a stock GSR motor, same mileage to the block as the head means even wear which means less problems. Its just a better engine overall. And as extrablackrex asked is it 3000 for the SWAP or engine or both? Either way best of luck. Just make sure you put the time and care into the lsvtec if you decide to do it.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get complete jdm gsr swaps with the lsd tranny for 3000 shipped. go that way, jdm engines corp always has ads going on ebay

it's actually nice to see that most the member realize a stock gsr motor is a reliable engine with decent hp. unless lsv is done right and cash is spent on quality parts and machine work they are nothing more than time bombs
Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have never owned a LS-V, but owned a B18C1. Tell you what, the best motor I have ever had. Just to
Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seriously who puts ls cams on a b16 head....lmao
It's all good bro handle let me know if they put down any power.....
Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slider617
I hands down agree with this as well. Known a few guys who went LS VTEC and wow so many issues. So many head jobs. GS-R is so much more well rounded and balanced for DD and simple bolt ons will give you more than enough HP to have fun with. Unless you want to have HP to blow doors off, your GS-R will have plently of HP to play "cat & mouse" with most cars out there. It's one thing to have a car to 'go go go' with, but you know what man? Why not enjoy your ride and not worry about rushing. Give yourself some extra time to get to work and enjoy the drive lol.
I'd say go wit n ls block why because it has a longer stroke than the gsr.... Ls stroke 89 mm & gsr stroke 87.2. So u hav the piston reaching the cylinder head a bit quicker or faster than the gsr. if that's wat u wanna call it..... The only thing that suks on the ls block is the compression on those pistons ls 9.2:1 gsr 10.6:1... So I'd say get rid of the ls pistons.... If ur going all motor pik up 11.5:1 C/R.... The only thing u need from the gsr is the girdle....n on top of that ur spending say 2gs on a gsr... U might aswell built n ls-v...

Last edited by Tegboy56291; 09-09-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GSR>LS vtec
Old 09-09-2010, 01:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Tegboy56291
LMFAO
And the 2nd dumbest response of the year goes to this jackass, hands down

The only thing that suks on the ls block is the compression on those pistons ls 9.2:1 gsr 10.6:1... So I'd say get rid of the ls pistons.... If ur going all motor pik up 11.5:1 C/R....
Compression is raised with the head switch, its no longer 9.2:1 with the vetc head. Not sure what it is, too lazy to pull up the CR calculator
Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
The gsr block has a girdle, ls block does not. gsr rods use something like 9mm bolts and ls blocks use something like 8mm. For explanatory purposes those sizes will suffice. gsr rods are stronger than ls rods. gsr crankshaft is stronger than the ls. there is a reason why honda gave us an 8200 rpm redline on the gsr. because it was built to handle it. it is better balanced than the ls block and has stiffer valve springs. ls motor is around 7000rpm if im not mistaken.
-Where is the girdle on the GSR??
-ARP studs will fix the weak rod stud problem
-Valve springs don't even matter your switching the head
-almost positive all honda engine are internally balanced out the factory, the redline is set cause they were not structurally stout like the GSR, which is caused by the weak rod studs.

Originally Posted by vroomvroomparty
The cost of making a reliable LS VTEC far outweighs that of the stock GSR. After the cylinder sleeving, better rods/pistons, machining etc it will cost much more. It will be as reliable but nothing compares to a stock GSR motor, same mileage to the block as the head means even wear which means less problems. Its just a better engine overall. And as extrablackrex asked is it 3000 for the SWAP or engine or both? Either way best of luck. Just make sure you put the time and care into the lsvtec if you decide to do it.
Only real advantage a GSR has is the extra oil feeds. Like previously said a LS has a longer stroke. You def don't have to sleeve it or machine it or all that crazy stuff. The LS has key weakness points and if taken care of it can be BETTER than and just as reliable as a GSR.

Before I say any more, CoreyN what are your intentions with the car? Daily driver, track, garage filler? are you an aggresive driver? Do you plan of going NA or FI?

Last edited by EHondaJDM; 09-09-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 AM
As Soft As A Rock

^ Beat me to it.

GL. It comes down to what YOU want to do with this vehicle. I personally have an ls/vtec and know many others with ones. Not problems other then regular maintence. For everyday driving and a little kick? I'd go with the gsr hands down. For something built.. I'd go with an ls/vtec IF done right. Though building a gsr is a grreat project as well, but I would use an ls crank in it ( just my opinion. But I will have to say this.. Stock = less problems. Not saying an LS/Vtec is not realibable... But nothing beats OEM factory motors ( in the original way they are made).

They are so many BIASED opinions.. I recommend researching a bit more before you come to your decision... Took me 2 + years before I did my motor build.. 2 1/2 for my turbo build.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

lmao @ you. Retard. Do you even realize what you just said?

Quick Reply: Ls vtec or full gsr swap?