Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

loud "knocking", pulled head, piston not level??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud "knocking", pulled head, piston not level??

P8R head
crower 403s
PR3 pistons/Stock LS bottom end

Dring home from work, I noticed a tapping, knocking sound from the engine. I pulled over, looked over everthing, and didnt see anything out of the normal. I figured it was my valves, and was going to be adjusting them. As I jumped on the hwy, it dies, with the knocking and tapping louder than ever. I got it towed home, adjusted the valves to specs(they were still close to spec), sealed everthing back up, and the tapping, knocking was still present. Figuring I must have burnt a valve, I pulled the head and when I was spining the crank, I noticed cylinder 2 and 3 pistons were level to the deck, but piston 4 was sitting under the deck line, lower than 1, about an 1/8. Also, piston 4 has turning play, Id say, 1/8th play. Spun bearing??

Cliff notes: a loud knocking, tapping, is present, no CEL, lost in power, cyl piston 4 sits lower than cyl. piston 1.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loud "knocking", pulled head, piston not level??

most likely you spun a bearing
Old 10-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dntnedvtec
P8R head
crower 403s
PR3 pistons/Stock LS bottom end

Dring home from work, I noticed a tapping, knocking sound from the engine. I pulled over, looked over everthing, and didnt see anything out of the normal. I figured it was my valves, and was going to be adjusting them. As I jumped on the hwy, it dies, with the knocking and tapping louder than ever. I got it towed home, adjusted the valves to specs(they were still close to spec), sealed everthing back up, and the tapping, knocking was still present. Figuring I must have burnt a valve, I pulled the head and when I was spining the crank, I noticed cylinder 2 and 3 pistons were level to the deck, but piston 4 was sitting under the deck line, lower than 1, about an 1/8. Also, piston 4 has turning play, Id say, 1/8th play. Spun bearing??

Cliff notes: a loud knocking, tapping, is present, no CEL, lost in power, cyl piston 4 sits lower than cyl. piston 1.
you have all the symptoms of a spun rod bearing... did your car overheat or was it oil starved or running horribly lean? doesnt really matter how it happend... now that its happend you have a plate full to take care of... in bad cases the whole engine needs to be rebuilt because if it was caused by extreme over heating then everything else is either warped or not sitting as it should.

if your super lucky all u need is to replace the bearing... but in most cases you need to remove the engine and begin checking whats in spec and whats out of spec... most likely your crank will need to be knife edged.. your pistons can be rebuilt and then u can get new bearings and it should be fine as long as nothing in the upper end was ruined by heat.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should of done a compression test first. But it's quite obvious that you have spun a rod bearing like posted above.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going try and respond to all, but a compression test would be out of the question. About a week before all of this nonsense, I did pull one. If I remember correctly, from right to left, 210, 205, 200 and 199ish. I wasn't blowing smoke at all, of any color, and not over heating. Oil level was always fine. I kept up with oil changes. When I rebuilt the engine, I had the head milled, and the block checked for warpage. Block was in great shape, and after looking at my compression test results, I see a trend.....doh! I havent had time to take a look underneath, but when I do, I will keep updates. Spun bearing, check.....
Old 10-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup bro spun bearing same thing happened to my single banger civic a while back