Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

KNOCKING + SHAKING STEERING WHEEL??

Old 04-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KNOCKING + SHAKING STEERING WHEEL??

i was driving home today and i noticed that there seemed to be two misfires(?) / 'putt putt" noises..
thinking i was almost home i decided to keep driving, however there started to be a really loud, continuous, knocking noise from the passenger side front at certain RPM levels, it wouldnt knock at really low gear RPMS and mid range during the mid gears...

knocking noise becomes obvious when speed goes over 5 mph, sounds like the tire is hitting something each revolution

the steering wheel was also shaking from left to right and the car seemed to be pulling towards the right..i checked my tires and they were fine..havent had time to check the oil yet since it's pretty dark outside..

a few weeks ago i had a local shop do some work on my exhaust (putting the OEM axleback back in)..tonight i noticed that the hangers werent attached to the hangers on the car, hence, the axleback was shaking left to right.. could this be a cause to the problem?

what could be wrong?? what's causing the knocking noise?

could the problem be caused by the axle? wheel bearings?

Modified by Rtistik. at 11:00 PM 4/16/2005
Old 04-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KNOCKING + SHAKING STEERING WHEEL?? (Rtistik.)

somebody please help
Old 04-16-2005, 01:01 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your entire axle. I'm not sure about the engine stuff, but that could be a cause for your shaking steering wheel.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to start looking under the car at the driveline, brakes, wheels, etc.

describing a sound is not enough
Old 04-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KNOCKING + SHAKING STEERING WHEEL?? (Tweakmeister)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tweakmeister &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have to start looking under the car at the driveline, brakes, wheels, etc.

describing a sound is not enough </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it was pretty dark last night, and there's barely any street lights in my neighborhood..i tried pulling over where i could get the most light but it didnt help at all so i just drove home (~2 miles since i heard the noise to my house)
Old 04-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Hijacked

sounds like an axle to me or maybe wheel balancing and alignment..
Old 04-16-2005, 09:22 AM

My steering wheel shakes at 80 mph, i got alignment done, tire pressure is fine, wheels are balance, axles look good. ??? what the problem is.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KNOCKING + SHAKING STEERING WHEEL?? (Stock_LS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stock_LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like an axle to me or maybe wheel balancing and alignment.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the wheels were balanced recently..the front passenger tire had recently been patched up by Wheel Works, i also threw on a new es100 on the rear passenger at the same time..could they be at fault too? the new tire and patched tire have been driven on for less than 1000 miles.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Hijacked

Default Re: (sirg-vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sirg-vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My steering wheel shakes at 80 mph, i got alignment done, tire pressure is fine, wheels are balance, axles look good. ??? what the problem is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do u have spacer on ur car ??

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rtistik. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the wheels were balanced recently..the front passenger tire had recently been patched up by Wheel Works, i also threw on a new es100 on the rear passenger at the same time..could they be at fault too? the new tire and patched tire have been driven on for less than 1000 miles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmmm urs pretty strange, so ur saying ur passenger tire only has brand new tires ? if so that could be the reason coz if ur driver side has no more thread and the passenger side has new thread (bald) it wont be balance when it running. but u should be fine if u have at least 50% thread on ur driver side.. correct me if im wrong..
Old 04-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats EXACTLY my scenario right there, car even pulls to the right. Wheel vibrates profusely. But my steering wheel is 45 degrees off of center to go straight.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stock_LS)

hmmmm urs pretty strange, so ur saying ur passenger tire only has brand new tires ? if so that could be the reason coz if ur driver side has no more thread and the passenger side has new thread (bald) it wont be balance when it running. but u should be fine if u have at least 50% thread on ur driver side.. correct me if im wrong.. [/QUOTE]

this is the case..i bought a used set of rims from another member on the board, they came with nitto tires with about 90% tread left on them..i come home from berkeley one weekend and i notice that my front passenger tire is completely flat, and my rear passenger tire had a nail in it..

i took it down to Wheel Works since they were the only few tire shops open that day and i had them patch up the tire with a nail in it, and to throw on a es100 in the rear (i only had 2 options for my size of tires)...the patched up tire was put onto the front passenger side and the es100 was put onto the rear..

**just checked the oil and fluids, everything seemed to be fine..took a look at the axles and they seemed to be ok too?

so i took it out for a little drive to see if anything would startup, sure enough, at around 10+ mph it starts making this knocking sound from the front right tire again and the steering wheel starts moving left-right-left-right again..the knocking noise sounded like it was coming from the tire hitting something everytime it made a revoution..
Old 04-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KNOCKING + SHAKING STEERING WHEEL?? (CompanyFlow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CompanyFlow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats EXACTLY my scenario right there, car even pulls to the right. Wheel vibrates profusely. But my steering wheel is 45 degrees off of center to go straight. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my steering wheel is fine to go straight..just that i need to kind of pull at it since it has a tendency to pull to the right..wheel vibrating is what throws me off..my motor sounded fine just by putting my ears around stuff..i dont know of any mechanics open today
Old 04-16-2005, 10:26 AM

ive got the same problem. i had a shop put in some new brake pads and rotors for me and a week later my car is acting the same way. ive got the loud knocking on my front drivers side wheel well but my car isnt pulling in that direction. im goin to be going back to that shop and have them look at it, i think they may have fucked something up.
i would like to say that its a really messed up wheel bearing but im not too sure
Old 04-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Hijacked

Default Re: (GeeSeR96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GeeSeR96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive got the same problem. i had a shop put in some new brake pads and rotors for me and a week later my car is acting the same way. ive got the loud knocking on my front drivers side wheel well but my car isnt pulling in that direction. im goin to be going back to that shop and have them look at it, i think they may have fucked something up.
i would like to say that its a really messed up wheel bearing but im not too sure</TD></TR></TABLE>

it sounds like an axle too.. even thou ur cv boots arent leaking it can be broken inside it.. how low is ur car anwyay ?
Old 04-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stock_LS)

up for more help
Old 04-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rtistik.)

damn someone help this guy, always seems to be having problems haha. I don't wanna jinx you or anything but arent those symptoms of a possible bent rim too? I can't think of any other reason. Hopefully its not.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sjteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sjteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn someone help this guy, always seems to be having problems haha. I don't wanna jinx you or anything but arent those symptoms of a possible bent rim too? I can't think of any other reason. Hopefully its not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

better not be no money to pay for a bent rim
Old 04-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a lot less to buy a new rim then something internal
Old 04-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CompanyFlow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CompanyFlow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its a lot less to buy a new rim then something internal</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have no idea where i can find a new 5zigen Div.3
Old 04-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't know if this helps, but one time when my steering wheel was shaking, I later found out that a lug nut on my left rim was missing. Also I got some alignment problems. After a new lug nut, replacing a wheel bearing, and doing an alignment, everything was fine. So are you missing a lug nut?
Old 04-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well that changes things
Old 04-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (XxDJCyberLoverxX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XxDJCyberLoverxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't know if this helps, but one time when my steering wheel was shaking, I later found out that a lug nut on my left rim was missing. Also I got some alignment problems. After a new lug nut, replacing a wheel bearing, and doing an alignment, everything was fine. So are you missing a lug nut? </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha no that was actually one of the first things i checked, i got a feelings it's a wheel bearing..car's being towed down to a shop friday
Old 04-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I fixed my knocking by unplugging the battery terminals and resetting the ECU because I diddnt do it when I installed my intake. Probably need an alignment and your tires rotated.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: (CompanyFlow)

I have knocking and my steering wheel go from left to right at low speeds. It knocks really hard when I go in reverse. I find out that I got a busted rear engine mount!

I found out by opening my hood and having someone pull the e-brake and put it in first and give it a little bit of gas. then do it in reverse. just watch for movement and listen for any noise.

Hope this helps
Old 04-30-2005, 10:11 PM

Rtistik. is hot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KNOCKING + SHAKING STEERING WHEEL??