Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Keep B20b or swap for B18c

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep B20b or swap for B18c

So I bought a Integra gsr with a b20b swap already done to it however I ended up blowing that engine up due to my cluster not working but I was trying to see what you guys think would be best cause I've heard the b18c's are much better than the B20. My goal is to have a powerful naturally aspirated and that's gunna be able to handle turbo when I get around to that part of my project. When I'm done with everything I'm trying to do I'm shooting for a Integra that will get me close to 500hp if not more! If anyone can help me out I was told to look at the b18c motors but idk exactly which way I should go for all the different ones. Also if any of you guys have an input as far as other ideas that I could bump up my HP please let me know! My Integra is a 1994 as well
Old 11-10-2016, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: Keep B20b or swap for B18c

The parts you'd pick for an all motor setup are different than the parts you'd pick for a turbo setup, choose one and stick with it.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So what would your opinion be on for a future turbo? Maybe even as far as going twin turbo? And I do have money but I'm also not looking to spend more than I have to.
​​​​​​​
Old 11-10-2016, 04:09 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Sigh...find a local tuner to build your block.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by clwr96
So what would your opinion be on for a future turbo? Maybe even as far as going twin turbo? And I do have money but I'm also not looking to spend more than I have to.
If you're 100% set on turbocharging your Integra, I would drop a cheap $350 JDM low comp B20 in there while you build your engine on a stand. And afterwards, I hope you have another car because I guarantee you will have lots of problems to work out once you install the new motor.

And you need to put in a whole lot of hours researching this before you even start selecting parts. The easy way is to pay somebody to do it, but there is more than enough information on these forums to do it yourself for a whole lot less money. For 500HP you have a lot of decisions to make: what block, sleeved or not, what pistons, what rods, what C/R, what head, what valvetrain, what exhaust manifold, what intake, what turbo, what transmission, what transmission modifications, what differential, what tires, how you plan on actually using 500HP to the front wheels without spinning through 3rd gear, what engine management, standalone or piggyback, etc. It's not an easy or cheap process either way, I looked into a turbocharger and ultimately decided that I'd rather just buy another car that drives the correct set of wheels.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
If you're 100% set on turbocharging your Integra, I would drop a cheap $350 JDM low comp B20 in there while you build your engine on a stand. And afterwards, I hope you have another car because I guarantee you will have lots of problems to work out once you install the new motor.

And you need to put in a whole lot of hours researching this before you even start selecting parts. The easy way is to pay somebody to do it, but there is more than enough information on these forums to do it yourself for a whole lot less money. For 500HP you have a lot of decisions to make: what block, sleeved or not, what pistons, what rods, what C/R, what head, what valvetrain, what exhaust manifold, what intake, what turbo, what transmission, what transmission modifications, what differential, what tires, how you plan on actually using 500HP to the front wheels without spinning through 3rd gear, what engine management, standalone or piggyback, etc. It's not an easy or cheap process either way, I looked into a turbocharger and ultimately decided that I'd rather just buy another car that drives the correct set of wheels.
yes your absolutely right!! I've had the same choices now with my last 3 integras and they keep braking some how needing parts and labour. So I had a b20vtec in my 98 integra gsr and I bought that way. Car was awesome but I've always wanted a turbo integra so researched bees and goats turbo guide and found I need a B18c to be able to safely turbo a b series motor I bought a b18c5 and my b20 broke got the c5 installed and first day seen oil guy who built it with low compression pistons for turbo and head gasket leaks some oil. So year later bought a mint turbo shaved engine bay seats done repainted 98 rs and now there's problems there too it also leaks and needs bit of work at motor and car it's self. So I screwed my self few times now.
So what I still need to do is same as I should of from start.
Buy a b18c from a good source and rebuild the motor for what you want in it(valves pistons or whatever you want. Then make sure you have everything else you want on it (intake injectors dizzy ) then get your turbo kit and turbo. Or but turbo first and kit fit everything and rebuild the motor. Or just go to a good shop with lots of turbo Honda and see what they say.