Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Just finished RSX seats front and rear in my Integra...take a look..some DIY

Old 08-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished RSX seats front and rear in my Integra...take a look..some DIY

Some Background info

I had researched putting RSX seats in an integra for the past month or two. I found it was difficult due to the seat pans not being interchangeable, and the ones that were done...did not have the safest ssetups, or were crooked, etc...

As for the rear seats, there was not info regarding swapping them in, and I didn't want to do just the fronts and then have the rear seats be different.
I needed it to be as clean as possible.

I also needed to stay light beige, which was the color of my tegs current cloth seats...after looking for a couple weeks, i was fortunate to find a set being auctioned on Ebay by LKQ out of a 2002 RSX Type S at their Webster, MA location.

I won the auction of the complete set for $250, spent $20 in gas to drive up there to pick them up, and the first part was done...now began the hard part...

Front Seats

I saw a DIY on installing a set of rsx seats into a prelude and it was clean but involved welding and some fabrication.
I have no clue how to weld and fabricate metal...so I started looking for a local guy who's good with welding, and felt confident he could do my specific job with a high level of competence.
Thanks to another member here on Honda-Tech and Northeast-Hondas, I was directed to Staight Line Automotive located in Union Beach, New Jersey ran by Don.

I spoke with Don, told him what I wanted, and he said he had never done that specific task, but had done other seat swaps, and he'd be able to do it.
After just three hours at his shop...Don had done it, he modified the RSX brackets using parts of the integra brackets...the seats were fitted tight and straight, safe as well...it's as if the seats were factory installed...he also kept the height as low as possible to leave good head room.
The integra seat belt buckles had to be switched over to the RSX seats which wasn't hard at all.
Don at Straight Line Automotive is the man
here are some pics of his work done to the brackets and how the seats fit in my teg:
view of front mounts and slider lever:

closeups of the front mounts pictured above:

view of the rear mounts (back of front seats)

closeups of the rear mounts pictured above:

now some pics of the seats in the teg after the install
don't mind the rear seats, they were just thrown in there while the front seats got done...they will look much better after I'm done with them

So after $250 for the seats and $210 for the labor...I had perfect fitting front RSX seats that matched my interior color scheme. (they were still dirty from the recycle yard at this point

Now what to do about the rear seats...

Rear Seats

The two upper pieces of the rear seats had completely different mounts, but the locking latch was the same, and the dimensions were similar though the RSX seats had a lot more cushion.
The lower piece of the rear seats, were again pretty close in dimensions and shape, just the rsx seat had a lot more foam padding.

Here are some pics to compare/contrast:

the following pics depict what I was stating regarding the piece that were the same and the ones that were different.
Red circles are different, blue circles are the same

That said, I had these messed up set of rear tan seats that I got for free from another HT member in Jersey (eddieP), so I tore off the skins...tedious work due to all the fasteners hooking on the cloth skins onto the tube frame of the seat on the two upper pieces, then the foam slides right off.

As for the lower piece...a real pain in the *** taking off the cloth skin, and the foam is impossible to remove cleanly since it's molded around the metal wire frame.
so here are the three pieces of the frame of the stock rear integra seats:

so for the upper pieces i was thinking of cutting the small mounts that were welded onto the integra seat frame, and weld them onto the RSX sat frame, since they both seemed to have very simillar tube frames.
as for the lower piece I was going to cut and reweld the metal hook piece that hold the rear portion down to the chassis via a screw since the integra seat has it on the other side of the center than the hook on the RSX seat.

Then i realized the leather skins come off much easier from the RSX rear seat upper pieces, and if the frames are so similar, then there would be no reason as to why the rsx cushion and leather skin couldn't fit on the Integra tube frame.

So I gave it a try...the rsx leather came off much quicker due to fewer fasteners and velcro. The foam fit the integra frames perfectly, and once the foram was on, the skins would fit the foam perfectly as well.

here are a few pics of the RSX skins/foam coming off, and being put on to the integra tube frames:
slide the skins off the rsx seats so that it's inside out when you have it off, also unsrew the plastice piece off the locking latch:

there are three fastners attached to the cushion of the rsx seat half way up

and then this one row of fasteners right before you remove it completely:

the rsx foam fit the integra frame quite nicely:

then just slide the skin back onto the foam...making sure to reconnect all the fasteners, (though it would be tempting to just skip a few, you don't want sagging leather latter ), then reattache the plastice cover to the locking latch.

here they are, ready to drop in to the integra as if they were stock:

Now to deal with the lower portion of the rear seat...there would be no skin swapping here. i figured if the integra skin and foam was such a pain in the ***...well let's just say I didn't see much difference in the way the lower portion was attached on the RSX seat.
so the rsx lower portion would have to be modified to fit directly in place of the integra lower portion.

I cut the front two metal hooks (the integra rear seat has them also, but there are a couple feet difference as to their locations from the rsx seats, so they had to get hacked off the rsx seats.
Then I intertwined a double strength wire hanger into the rsx wire frame, right at where the stock hook would be on the integra seat, allowing it to be screwed into the stock hole on the chasis.

One more thing would have to be done for the lower portion to sit properly in the integra...i had to cut/trim off some of the foam from the bottom of the RSX seat to match the height of the Integra seat.
here's what i did...the red cirlces were trimmed slightly; the green circles is where I cut big pieces of foam out from the rsx seats...remember the rsx seat have a lot more cushion than the integra seats:

Now it was time to install it:
Upright:

Lowered:

some closeups:
I left the little plastic retainer clips off the sides to see the fittment better

and a final pic of the rear seats from the front side seats were still dirty from the junkyard:

and one final pic from outide my teg after I was all done
it was night already :

Modified by Cliffjumper2 at 3:05 AM 8/12/2005
Old 08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just finished RSX seats front and rear in my Integra...take a look..some DIY (Cliffjumper2)

excellent DIY job. props
Old 08-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just finished RSX seats front and rear in my Integra...take a look..some DIY (Integra_Nguyen)

nice work
Old 08-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks great. these werent in at Marcus Dairy were they?

also i was wondering what center caps you used for your GT3's. i think i found some Acura ones that will fit, but i have to wait for the kid to strip the car so i can have em.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

impressive. The front RSX seats are nice!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's hot...
Old 08-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gsrious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Integra_Nguyen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">excellent DIY job. props </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsr_to_the_MAX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice work </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DoctorGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks great.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RuskeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">impressive. The front RSX seats are nice!</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's hot...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the props, everyone

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DoctorGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">these werent in at Marcus Dairy were they?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes they were, but it's not something that jumps out at you, which is what I was going for...a couple people noticed...most people were like " - I didn't see that"

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DoctorGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
also i was wondering what center caps you used for your GT3's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

honda accord center caps.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:00 PM
*insert here*

very nice!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (VTECisSeXY)

Wow...that looks like alot of work and a very nice job if I might add.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95 integra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECisSeXY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very nice!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow...that looks like alot of work and a very nice job if I might add. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks

Don took three hours of straight work to get the fronts done
the rears took me three hours, but weren't nearly as hard as the front...more tedious work with all those little fasteners....and trying a little this and a little that.

If I was to do the rears again, I could probably do it quicker.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95 integra)

amazing. great work. you should start doing this for a living! lol
Old 08-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Hijacked

Default Re: (Cliffjumper2)

good ****.... looks very nice..
Old 08-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (UNEMPLOYED)

I LOVE IT! MMMMMMMAAD PROPS YO!!! No but seriously, that looks very nice.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: (UNEMPLOYED)

looks good man, gives people with tan interior some hope
Old 08-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jwbetley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UNEMPLOYED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">amazing. great work. you should start doing this for a living! lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, thanks...but I'll leave that to the pros.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stock_LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good ****.... looks very nice.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jwbetley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I LOVE IT! MMMMMMMAAD PROPS YO!!! No but seriously, that looks very nice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BolivianDc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks good man, gives people with tan interior some hope </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks,

yeah last summer I did a tan to black conversion in a teg (made a diy on it for this forum too)
but this time I wanted to do something with the tan "taupe" interior, see if I can get it to look good as an alternative to black/charcoal.

besides people hate the tan interior, so I had to give it some love
Old 08-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jwbetley)

Awesome work man! They look great in the car, and fitment is perfect. Very impressive!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:52 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: (BolivianDc2)

I'll pay you to do mine.

J/K.

Great work. I love DIY!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NightRider-gsR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonas99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome work man! They look great in the car, and fitment is perfect. Very impressive!</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NightRider-gsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll pay you to do mine.

J/K.

Great work. I love DIY!</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, thanks for the compliments
Old 08-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great detail and write-up!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

very helpful info...nice works...
Old 08-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gorgeous DIY !
Old 08-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice write up...im definitely going to do this soon...looks super sexy...

other than that how was the comfort compared to the old integra seats??
Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Sic

Default Re: (hawjboi)

very nice man i think they look lovely. is the ride height any higher cause the seats look taller. wish it was easier to swap em i cant weld and id have to go to a shop
Old 08-11-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: (Sic)

fake!!! obviously photoshopped..........

anyways, looks too big for the teg.

probably could save time just by wrapping ur teg seats black vinyl or leather.

but to each his own.

good effort though. i can see a lot of work was put into it.

so enjoy it.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vice versa)

good job man that sh*t looks nice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just finished RSX seats front and rear in my Integra...take a look..some DIY