Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

just checked my rotors and brake pads, this is the problem, help out please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 07:33 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just checked my rotors and brake pads, this is the problem, help out please

hello, I posted a thread last night on rotors and pads. Today I checked my rotors and this is what I saw:.... the Front passenger rotor seemed fine, the Front Drivers Side is bad. I see little tiny metal dust, the part of the rotor that touches the brake pad is all scratched/scraped up like a 2 inches ring around the rotor. THESE IS ALSOLUTELY nothing btween the brake pad and the rotor. When I touch it, the surface of the rotor is rough cause of the scraping. On the passenger I see that the brake pad is still thick, so there's like something between the pad and the rotor.

QUESTION. I'm planning on buying 2 FRONT BREMBO OEM quality Rotor($38 each) in combination with AXXIS Master Metal Brake Pads($66 a pair). OR should I use BREMBO Brake Pads($74 a pair)? Anyone have any suggestions? are these two a good combo? any complains? recommend?

QUESTION 2: Since I'm replacing the front, Should I replace Rear Rotors and Brake pads too? I mean our cars are front wheel drive, and I don't see wears in the back, so any suggestion?

Thanks a lot
Old 07-27-2003, 07:43 PM

Default Re: just checked my rotors and brake pads, this is the problem, help out please (acuraLSSE95)

just get a life time warrenty brake pads.. will save you money in the long run
Old 07-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just checked my rotors and brake pads, this is the problem, help out please (acuraLSSE95)

I am not sure what you mean about something between the pad and rotor. I would be concerned that the left side pad material is gone and there is a lot left on the right side, they should be relatively even in wear.

You will be fine just replacing the front.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:00 PM

I had this happen to my 91 Teg last week (one side pads were fine other were gone) I think you might want to check to see that your calipers are not sticking because i replaced mine and everything is fine now. . . only cost me $45 for both fronts
Old 07-27-2003, 08:05 PM
New User

Default Re: (91TegLS)

Let me restate what I said before, I wouldn't say that the Left side is alsolutely gone, there is still a thin layer between the but not as much as the right side.

LET 's SAY if this is an Unever wear, what could have caused the Uneven wear? Could it be a damaged/defective pad? or something else in the braking system? ABS? I'm just naming things aimlessly..

coments please
Old 07-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (acuraLSSE95)

Cobalt friction sells a better quality rotor, supposedly, than Brembo for $32 each, -10% for H-T discount. You can also buy your pads (Ultimates) and get the same discount and have it all shipped to you. Coletti Motorsports has Brembo rotors for less than you quoted.

Uneven wear means that your caliper pins are likely sticking and need to be freed up and lubed, along with the pin boots. Brake grease (or high temp anti-seize) on the pins and silicone on the boots.

Why are you spending $66 on Metal Masters when Andie could set you up w/ Axxis Ultimates for the same price, if not less? If you want better pads, try Carbotech Bobcats for $100 or so a set.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:17 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most likely cause of uneven wear is a caliper that is sticking, as was already stated above.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acuraLSSE95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since I'm replacing the front, Should I replace Rear Rotors and Brake pads too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. Replace the rear ones only when they wear out.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: just checked my rotors and brake pads, this is the problem, help out please (nsxtasy)

Are you going to DIY?? If so...

Make sure the caliper slide pins aren't stuck. Make sure that the thin clips/springs that hold the top & bottom of the pads are OK. The pads MUST be able to slide in & out against the rotor without hanging up on anything. That would explain why your brakes were dragging on one side, to wear them out faster than the good side.

New rotors. Sounds like one of yours is messed up, but don't replace just one. Gotta replace both on the front. Better quality rotors aren't going to help you unless you fix the real problem first.

You don't automatically have to replace that stuff on the rear brakes, but this is a good excuse to inspect the rears to make sure they're working OK.