Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   JDM experiences? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/jdm-experiences-3338826/)

1990IntegraLS 07-09-2019 05:19 PM

JDM experiences?

I'd like to hear from some people that have purchased low milage JDM engines.....good experience, bad experience. I'm not thrilled about sending off for a used engine, but it's nearly the only way to go unless you have one built....for 6-7k up to 10k.
Know of a reputable company to buy from?
I"m looking at a K swap.
Thanks

wunfstgsr 07-10-2019 12:02 PM

Re: JDM experiences?

Originally Posted by 1990IntegraLS (Post 51967816)
I'd like to hear from some people that have purchased low milage JDM engines.....good experience, bad experience. I'm not thrilled about sending off for a used engine, but it's nearly the only way to go unless you have one built....for 6-7k up to 10k.
Know of a reputable company to buy from?
I"m looking at a K swap.
Thanks

Buy it from Hmotors and be done!

https://www.hmotorsonline.com/

z0om 07-10-2019 04:09 PM

Back in 2010 I bought a JDM GSR motor from HMO, I'm local so I was able to just go in and pick it up (easy). The motor was in perfect condition and ran as good as new the whole time (sold the car last summer, so 8 years).

I put a JDM Type R header, Skunk2 TB/Intake Manifold, Skunk2 cams & s300 in it and it dyno'd 190 hp at the wheels.

1990IntegraLS 07-10-2019 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr (Post 51968477)
Buy it from Hmotors and be done!

https://www.hmotorsonline.com/

Thanks. I'm coming to a similar conclusion, but isn't hmotors.. selling jdms? I've found terrible reviews on some specific well known jdm companies. Mostly about bad engines and a refusal to back up their warranties.

This is also an excellent article: http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ed-jdm-motors/
I'm also looking at engine builders, too.

Caoboy 07-10-2019 04:58 PM

If you’re hesitant, go to a local junk yard and pull a long block for cheap.

Then (re)build it.

If you do the research and buy tools and do all of the rebuild yourself minus the machine shop work, you’ll end up with a ‘new’ motor for maybe 2500-3k all in. That’s probably with motor upgrades how you like as well.

1990IntegraLS 07-10-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Caoboy (Post 51968655)
If you’re hesitant, go to a local junk yard and pull a long block for cheap.

Then (re)build it.

If you do the research and buy tools and do all of the rebuild yourself minus the machine shop work, you’ll end up with a ‘new’ motor for maybe 2500-3k all in. That’s probably with motor upgrades how you like as well.

Wish I could....what take a hoist with me? Rent a truck for the 150 miles round trip. Unfortunately that's not going to work, for where I live. I'm out in the boonies.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...71987aad7f.jpg

Caoboy 07-10-2019 05:22 PM

Pick up the motor in your car. They're surprisingly small.

Caoboy 07-10-2019 05:23 PM

Also usually JYs have gantry hoists ....

Or they'll have the motor already pulled.....

1990IntegraLS 07-10-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Caoboy (Post 51968678)
Pick up the motor in your car. They're surprisingly small.

500 LBS?

I really need the trans too....

Caoboy 07-10-2019 05:26 PM

Yes. You've never carried 3 full grown adults before?

tony_2018 07-10-2019 05:57 PM

It'll fit in the hatch brah, you just need someone to help you load it. Picked up a complete d16y5 with tranny in the back of the em1 12hr road trip, back to back with no rest. come at me delivery truckers.

wunfstgsr 07-10-2019 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by tony_2018 (Post 51968694)
It'll fit in the hatch brah, you just need someone to help you load it. Picked up a complete d16y5 with tranny in the back of the em1 12hr road trip, back to back with no rest. come at me delivery truckers.

lol

maxwellmercer 07-11-2019 05:55 AM

I got a B20B longblock from JDMOrlando on ebay with intentions to do a full build on it. Upon arrival it was actually flawless inside, for $300 shipped I was very happy with the purchase from them.

1990IntegraLS 07-11-2019 01:36 PM

Even though I've done all the work on my Teg, which has been very extensive, I'm not so confidant about an engine rebuild. The only engine I've rebuilt myself was a 1600 air-coolded VW....back in the early '90s. ...and when I took the case in for a line bore, I took the crank in with me so they'd match the bearings. Otherwise I had no clue how to spec the bearings.

I did a good job on that engine, but it's one of the simplest, easiest engines in the world to work on.
I am looking at remanufactured engines too. Found at least one company I think is very good. It's an expensive way to go, but......
I wouldn't put an engine in the back of my Teg. Maybe my Ranger because I put coil overs on the back for a bit more carrying.

I'll take a look at JDMOrlando

MotorMouth93 07-11-2019 01:44 PM

I bought a B20B from JDM Alliance in the Dallas area a few years ago. The leakdown test numbers weren't quite as good as I'd have liked but it ran fine for 30k miles or so before the car was totaled.

Caoboy 07-11-2019 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1990IntegraLS (Post 51969341)
Even though I've done all the work on my Teg, which has been very extensive, I'm not so confidant about an engine rebuild. The only engine I've rebuilt myself was a 1600 air-coolded VW....back in the early '90s. ...and when I took the case in for a line bore, I took the crank in with me so they'd match the bearings. Otherwise I had no clue how to spec the bearings.

I did a good job on that engine, but it's one of the simplest, easiest engines in the world to work on.
I am looking at remanufactured engines too. Found at least one company I think is very good. It's an expensive way to go, but......
I wouldn't put an engine in the back of my Teg. Maybe my Ranger because I put coil overs on the back for a bit more carrying.

I'll take a look at JDMOrlando

B series engines are also incredibly simple to work on.

You could even go so far as to have the machine shop mic for bearing clearances and let you know what you need to buy.

In the end, it’s all just bolts and torque specs and tolerances. It’s not brain surgery...

jdmark1 07-11-2019 07:01 PM

Just order from HMO and be done with it.

but isn't hmotors.. selling jdms?
I'm not sure why you're being skeptical of JDM engines, especially from HMO. Getting an import JDM engine is always a better bet than going to a junkyard and pulling one that probably has a cool 200k miles on it. If you don't want to pick one up in your car then throw it in the back of the Ranger you mentioned. I picked mine up with an old 198x Ford ranger. And just so you know, B-series weigh about 320lbs and the trannys weight 75-80lbs. So combined... literally the weight of two grown men. Your Integra could very easily handle it.

wunfstgsr 07-11-2019 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by jdmark1 (Post 51969457)
Just order from HMO and be done with it. I'm not sure why you're being skeptical of JDM engines, especially from HMO. Getting an import JDM engine is always a better bet than going to a junkyard and pulling one that probably has a cool 200k miles on it. If you don't want to pick one up in your car then throw it in the back of the Ranger you mentioned. I picked mine up with an old 198x Ford ranger. And just so you know, B-series weigh about 320lbs and the trannys weight 75-80lbs. So combined... literally the weight of two grown men. Your Integra could very easily handle it.

HMO Compression test and leak test as well as start up the engine prior to pulling and selling which makes them better than the rest who don't and ship you something your going to guess if its starts and runs.. They delivered my engine on crate to my door step.

z0om 07-12-2019 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr (Post 51969466)
HMO Compression test and leak test as well as start up the engine prior to pulling and selling which makes them better than the rest who don't and ship you something your going to guess if its starts and runs.. They delivered my engine on crate to my door step.

Totally.

HMO states the engines have something like 40-50k on them, which is much much lower than anything you'll find here. The motor I got from them was bone dry and super strong it's entire life with me.

1990IntegraLS 07-12-2019 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by z0om (Post 51969628)
Totally.

The motor I got from them was bone dry and super strong it's entire life with me.

How long was that?

This is what I struggle with. I've had this car 7 years. I want to drive it another 15. I was fairly lucky getting this car as the 2nd owner. The 1st owner was a college professor in West Texas, even tho the car had 2 hail storms strikes beat it up and a pretty so-so mechanic, it had only 145k miles and regular maintenance. It was driven mostly on the highway out in the middle of nowhere, and gently. Now I've replaced nearly everything replaceable at 180k. How do I get an engine where I have a high degree of confidence it'll go 150k miles? The HMO jdms are possibly very good, but I think I'm asking too much....at least as far as the odds and luck go, but getting the engine and trans from them and either having both rebuilt, or just buying a rebuilt long-block and trans may be what I have to do. Either is pretty expensive, but I don't want to do this again. Gee, I'm 64 years old. How many more times could I do it myself?

I can't do this at the junkyard. Not me and not around my location.

Opinions?

jdmark1 07-12-2019 08:41 AM

Guy, I think you're waaay over thinking this. Honda B-series are very reliable and simple engines. With regular maintenance they'll easily eclipse 300k miles. The jdm ones from a reputable importer have ~50k miles on them...so do the math. Buy one from HMO (no need to rebuild it or anything) and with correct installation and regular oil changes, there's a chance the motor will out live you.

1990IntegraLS 07-12-2019 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jdmark1 (Post 51969833)
.. Honda B-series are very reliable and simple engines. With regular maintenance they'll easily eclipse 300k miles... Buy one from HMO (no need to rebuild it or anything) and with correct installation and regular oil changes, there's a chance the motor will out live you.

I know my engine would last the rest of my life, if E10 were staying, but regulatory changes 3 weeks ago will make it disappear, maybe this year or the next. What will happen to my B18a1 running E15...and higher.

Otherwise, maybe your are correct about trusting HMO? Will they send you the test results before you buy? I haven't been able to get them on the phone.

z0om 07-12-2019 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1990IntegraLS (Post 51969725)
How long was that?

Opinions?

I had the motor for 8 years, did oil changes every 12-18 months and it drove smooth as new. I didn't have a single issue with the motor, you could tell it'd never been opened up, didn't have any visual wear and tear, it really looked like it was maybe 3 years old when I got it (obviously it was way older). I even got an official California BAR sticker from the referee, so you can do this legally.

Something about in Japan people just junk their cars and get a new one when they get to 30-50k, so their motors are perfect for us.

1990IntegraLS 07-12-2019 10:56 AM

That's encouraging. Will HMO give you test results before you buy....leak down and compression? ...I can't get them on the phone.

The Japanese gov. taxes cars at a high rate, that are more than 3 years old. They want their people to run newer cars.

EnjoyTheRideDC2 07-12-2019 11:04 AM

So everyone in here believes this 64 year old man drives a DA with interest in a K-swap?