Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Integra won't start after being driven for a while

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:41 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Integra won't start after being driven for a while

i want to put dsm 450cc injectors in my 94 acura integra ls. can they work. im hoping the injectors will fix my problem. does anyone else have any in put how to fix my starting problem after i get it warmed up
Old 05-04-2009, 06:00 PM
New User

when i replaced my fuel filter. it fixed my car for about a week then it started doing the same thing over
Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Post Re: Integra won't start after being driven for a while

Basicly there no need to buy new distributer it could be the ignition coils inside the distributor you can always but the ingnition coils at pep boy autozone ot kragen. remember it can always be a short wiring somewhwere else to once and a while check it out with a 12volt elec. tester.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E Swift
It was the fuel filter. My car has been starting perfect for the past week now.

I wouldn't be so sure about this. I have the same problem as you with my 94 GSR. I replaced the fuel filter and it was great for about 2 months, then it finally happened again. Mine happens the most right after I fill up at the gas station. I swear my car is carborated and not fuel injected.

Something notable was the coolant on the plugs. Have you been checking your coolant level? I had a misfire about 6 months ago and took out one of the plugs to find it wet with what I believe was coolant. I'm not 100% sure if my coolant is dropping in the resevoir because I've changed my thermostat since and if it is leaking coolant through the head gasket then it must be SUPER slow. The car runs damn strong though when its running (150k miles).

Any updates on your situation? If you dont' believe me that it may come back, drive your car for a while, turn it off, turn it on right after, and do that like 3 times in a row. If it starts up and doesn't die, then maybe your problem truely is fixed.

Goodluck.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MAIN RELAY.. starter signal
Old 07-30-2009, 05:28 AM

FYI,

It was actually the coolant temperature sensor. $28 from AutoZone. Easy to replace. Connects to the housing that supports the thermostat.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI,

It was actually the coolant temperature sensor. $28 from AutoZone. Easy to replace. Connects to the housing that supports the thermostat.
i have the same prob but it cant be by coolant temperature sensor cuz i have the fan running at all times..... im bout to change the fuel filter
Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Trial User

Let me start by saying that I just replaced the main relay the other day, and it hasn't fixed the problem.

What's been happening is my 94 Integra struggles to start after being driven for a while. The car never dies on me while driving. My car starts perfectly fine when its been sitting around for a few hours or all day, but if I drive it around, come back and park my car, it won't start. I did a tuneup about 6 months ago and also changed the distributor at the same time. I can also hear my fuel pump turning on when I turn the ignition key to ON. It just cranks but won't turn over. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? When I try cranking it, I'll put my foot down on the gas pedal, and sometimes it will start, but it stinks like gas outside my car(probably because I'm flooding it). Other than that, I haven't had any success trying to start it when the engine is warmed up.

Any ideas would be a great help!

Thanks everyone

he man, i have the exact same problem with my 91 integra. ive changed the distributor, fuel pump, and starter and nothing has fixed my problem. did you ever find out what the problem was??? i can use some pointers on this subject
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having a "similar" issue, although I'm pretty sure it's my headgasket failing. Basically if I don't relieve the the pressure in the cooling system my car wont start without taking forever and probably wearing out my starter. Hot or cold. If I drive the car around and then park it and leave it over night or for 5 mins it just wont start and when it does fire up it's only on 2 or 3 cyls. If I use the pressure relief valve on my radiator cap when I shut the car off, there is no problems at all in it starting. Also, my coolant level wanes after driving it for a while.

If you have a pressure release valve on your radiator cap, I highly suggest letting the pressure out of the cooling system once you park it, just to see if it's easier to start afterwards. Might just be your headgasket.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Integra won't start after being driven for a while

Im having almost the same problem. My 95 ls just straight up died on me while I was driving. It just stalled. As I was coasting to a stop I tried bump starting it, but for some reason it wasnt getting any fuel so it couldnt start at all.
On the side of the road I added some oil and had my friend drive out to pick up a new main relay and some tools. So I replaced the relay, and it stil wouldnt turn over. I pulled out the plugs to check if I was getting spark. I was (plus the plugs werent wet, so no coolant leak) Not to mention the distributor had a brand new ignition coil and control module.
So the pistons were cranking when the plugs were out, I was getting a very good amount of spark, and my battery has been fully charged. The only thing left to assume is that my fuel system is jacked. Could it be that my fuel filter is the only thing that is wrong?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my Integra 2000, I bought the relay and the temp sensor.
My car would some time start after i turned off the engine but only if it was literally with in a minute of turning it off. And it would run like poop as if it was flooded. So I put in the relay ... no luck than the temp sensor and all is well.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

Hope this saves some one a big headache.

PS: I bought this car with this problem - apparently this has been a mystery to many mechanics for past two years. I feel invincible ....LOL thanks honda-tech.com
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the past week I've been having the same problem with my 98 gsr. I pulled the freeze frame data and it showed my ect was going bad. Car off would read normal temp 170-190 and with the car on it would read 45-55... so I'll be swapping it sometime tomorrow see if my problem goes away. Cel also came on and threw the code p0116 for the ect.
Thanks guys for all the povs
Old 12-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. 2001 Integra GS sedan, automatic
I have replaced or cleaned all these things:

New distributor-New rotor and ignition coil
New spark plugs
New spark plug wires
Fuel pressure regulator
Cleaned IACV
Cleaned throttle body
Re-soldered main relay
New fuel filter
New battery

I replaced the ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor one week ago and I thought it fixed the issue. NOPE. I tried starting my car after it was off for about 30 minutes and the problem is back.

I am going insane. I bought a new FITV (fast idle thermo valve) and I'll try to replace it and see if that's the final fix. Other than that, I just don't know.

Halp.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

fwiw:

Starting Problems
Old 12-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanessa

New spark plugs
New spark plug wires
Fuel pressure regulator
Cleaned IACV
Cleaned throttle body
Re-soldered main relay
New fuel filter
New battery

I replaced the ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor one week ago and I thought it fixed the issue. NOPE. I tried starting my car after it was off for about 30 minutes and the problem is back.

I am going insane. I bought a new FITV (fast idle thermo valve) and I'll try to replace it and see if that's the final fix. Other than that, I just don't know.

Halp.
Sounds like youe ignition control mudule ( ICM ) in the distributor is going bad, try testing and replacing the part and see if your starting issue is resolved. OEM units are best but are pricey the ebay ones are hit or miss there cheap but for a reason. Also try crimping the conections to the ICM sometimes they get loose should be 4.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vanessa

New spark plugs
New spark plug wires
Fuel pressure regulator
Cleaned IACV
Cleaned throttle body
Re-soldered main relay
New fuel filter
New battery

Halp.
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you have the key at ACC? If not, check the ground strap on the thermostat housing. If that is loose, tighten it - that should fix it. If it's nicely secured, open up the ECU and inspect for bad/leaky capacitors.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by captainhook
when i replaced my fuel filter. it fixed my car for about a week then it started doing the same thing over
FWIW I think more people are led to replace them unnecessarily, than almost any other item. Not a bad idea, but it takes a LOT to clog up one of these filters. They learned from the days when cars had tiny carb mounted filters that actually would clog up.
I wouldn't rule anything out from replacing it with aftermarket parts either, if you've replaced anything. At this point, if I ever fix something with an aftermarket part and the problem happens again, the first thing I'm looking at is the replaced aftermarket part.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been experiencing the same problem with everyone above. The car starts and runs perfectly when cold. After driving it, I can start it right after. However, after it cools for about 10 - 20 mins I wont be able to start it for another hour or so.

Did you end up finding the problem?

So far i've replaced my main relay and distributor and had no luck. Although the car sounds even better when driving.

Something has been going on with my coolant so I am going to attempt the coolant temp gauge tomorrow. If i don't reply, that was the problem. If I reply, we will know that was not the issue.

REALLY HOPING I CAN SOLVE THIS SOON!.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most likely the coil. When they get tired, they get hot, and stop working.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It turned out to be the engine coolant temp! heck ya
Old 02-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My 86 Acura Integra came down with the same problem a couple weeks ago and has gradually gotten worse. When it warms up to a certain temperature, a slight press of the accelerator will cause it to stall and then it won't start again until it cools off. I used to be able to restart it by pumping the gas pedal while starting, but even that doesn't work anymore. I disconnected the TW (coolant temperature) sensor and then I got a PGM-FI error of course, but the problem went away. The resistance of the TW sensor was way too high when I tested it in the warm engine, but when I took it out and tested it in hot water, it was about 400 ohms. Maybe when it gets hotter than 100 degC it fails. I'm going to try replacing the coolant sensor as others have recommended and I'll let you know if it worked.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The coolant temperature sensor was replaced, and now the car runs fine. I went to two stores here (Pep Boys and O'Reilly's) and both had a part in their catalog which was the wrong part. It took my mechanic 4 tries to get the correct part from his suppliers. My mechanic initially thought there was a spark problem and replaced the coil and plug wires, and the distributor cap and rotor, but that didn't fix the problem (although my car ran smoother after that). Until my mechanic found the part, I was able to drive the car by starting it with the sensor plugged in and then unplugging it after a minute. As long as the engine was even slightly warm, it was able to start without the sensor connected.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me start by saying that I just replaced the main relay the other day, and it hasn't fixed the problem.

What's been happening is my 94 Integra struggles to start after being driven for a while. The car never dies on me while driving. My car starts perfectly fine when its been sitting around for a few hours or all day, but if I drive it around, come back and park my car, it won't start. I did a tuneup about 6 months ago and also changed the distributor at the same time. I can also hear my fuel pump turning on when I turn the ignition key to ON. It just cranks but won't turn over. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? When I try cranking it, I'll put my foot down on the gas pedal, and sometimes it will start, but it stinks like gas outside my car(probably because I'm flooding it). Other than that, I haven't had any success trying to start it when the engine is warmed up.

Any ideas would be a great help!

Thanks everyone
If you changed the distributor, wires and plugs then it isn't spark related. I seriously start my integra in the morning and absolutely refuse to shut the car off until I am at a destination I will remain at for hours as I am having the same problem lol. I'm determined to figure out this issue as these cars are famoys for correcting the problems themselves leaving us wondering what it was. It is NOT the head gasket or anything major....The car would run like crap. The car drives fine and runs all day and stays cool. I smell the fuel too. Its fuel related. I can drive all day on an empty tank. No leaks....Its something small and the smallest thing will make these cars act like the end is near and its not. They take a lot to destroy. Drive it easy. Check engine is useless.....Its saying engine coolant temp sensor and the fan runs like a champ. It's not a sensor...Im just as lost as you lol
Old 09-14-2018, 02:59 PM
Trial User

There is a fuel filter located in the gas tank as well. If you replace the one undet the hood with out replacing the one in the tank, the one in the tank will accumulate more sediment from the tank. Can cause the fuel pump to work harder and heat up.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboteg8
i have the same problem in my accord, i'd replaced verything and still wont start, finaly i give up and when to a dealer have them check it and it was my igntion ,
When you say ignition do you mean ignition switch? , I'm having the same issue replaced everything including coolant temp sensor

Quick Reply: Integra won't start after being driven for a while