Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Integra takes forever to Shift from 2nd to 3rd Gear. (HELP!!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra takes forever to Shift from 2nd to 3rd Gear. (HELP!!)

My 1990 Integra with auto transmission will take a long time to shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear. Seems to only occur after letting me car sit overnight or for a whole work day (8hours) without driving it. I let the car warm up to normal operating temp and then take off. Car shifts fine from 1st gear to 2nd gear but Ill have to drive around for a little in order to get into 3rd gear. When it finally decides to go into 3rd it sounds like a knock noise or like the gear got stuck on something and finally got released into 3rd. Not sure of what can be the problem. Please help
Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Integra takes forever to Shift from 2nd to 3rd Gear. (HELP!!)

probably need new shift solenoids
Old 08-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last time the fluid and filter were replaced?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car doesnt have a filter or have a tranny pan. but it has been quite a while since the last time the fluid was changed. Gonna do a tranny flush and see if this helps the problem. Will update then.

I sure hope I dont need new solenoids. Just replaced a control solenoid valve for the EGR system and the solenoid already took a crap.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fadedrabbit09
My car doesnt have a filter or have a tranny pan. but it has been quite a while since the last time the fluid was changed. Gonna do a tranny flush and see if this helps the problem. Will update then.

I sure hope I dont need new solenoids. Just replaced a control solenoid valve for the EGR system and the solenoid already took a crap.
If it seems to get worse after a fluid change (careful with "flushes" that use caustics, as they don't necessarily get it all out after the flush), continue driving it for a month and change the fluid again. The first fluid change in a long time can free up some gunk and make it seem worse, but it should all come out with the second change.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Integra takes forever to Shift from 2nd to 3rd Gear. (HELP!!)

it is automatic? if it is. adjust the passenger cable that goes from the throttle to the tranny. when i bought a 1990 honda accord ex f22a4 it would take forever to shift too adjusted the passenger and problem solved
Old 08-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what jdm certified said same thing happened to me in my 98 ls my cable was frayed to hell and stretched
Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

synchros? maybe
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it is an automatic.
Too soon to tell if the problem is getting worse but will definitely keep an eye out for any differences.
The car still doesnt shift after doing a tranny flush and adding some "Lucas Oil Transmission Fix" to help with the cleaning process. The car shifts a lot better and smoother which is to be expected but not the outcome I wanted.
Im thinking the problem now is a shift solenoid or now as a few of you stated the passenger cable from the throttle to the tranny. Ill see what I can do with the new options.
Thanks All
Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aqualite_Solid
what jdm certified said same thing happened to me in my 98 ls my cable was frayed to hell and stretched
Yeah, I would check the transmission shift cable. Not exactly sure on the 90' model but I believe it is the second cable going from the throttle body to the transmission that helps to let it know when to shift. Probably needs to be tightened up or replaced.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when it does shift does it feel like someone rear ended you? if you do. dont bother with the shift solenoids. its the turbine inside the tranny. had a 98 honda accord had hard time shifting. it got worse during the time. flush made it worse. we pulled out tranny changed it with a extra i had, and it worked fine
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes in a way it does feel like I get rear ended or like the gear is stuck and when it finally gets released it shifts hard which again feels somewhat like getting rear ended. But once it shifts it doesn't have the problem anymore until I let the car sit for some hours (3-4+ hours) From the time it shifts correctly and on, the gears do tend to upshift and down shift hard on occasion but they do always shift once it gets passed being stuck. still think its the turbine or could it still be a shift cable that is loose or in need of replacing.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Trial User

Flush the tranny & use OEM Honda tranny fluid. I've seen it stop grinds in high RPM's with 5sp.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YEAH BRO THATS YOUR TURBINE NOT PRODUCING ENOUGH PRESSURE. IT WILL GET WORSE UNTIL I WONT SHIFT AT ALL.
Originally Posted by fadedrabbit09
Yes in a way it does feel like I get rear ended or like the gear is stuck and when it finally gets released it shifts hard which again feels somewhat like getting rear ended. But once it shifts it doesn't have the problem anymore until I let the car sit for some hours (3-4+ hours) From the time it shifts correctly and on, the gears do tend to upshift and down shift hard on occasion but they do always shift once it gets passed being stuck. still think its the turbine or could it still be a shift cable that is loose or in need of replacing.