Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Integra Oil Pan Header Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra Oil Pan Header Clearance

Hello,
I am about mid-way through a 1991 Integra restoration (LS 5-Speed Hatchback) and just completed an engine (B18A1) rebuild. One of the modifications I wanted to install at the time of the rebuild was a Skunk2 Header (Alpha series 412-05-1902); I already have a Tanabe SS exhaust plumbed up. When the shop tried to fit the header, they called and said it would not clear the oil pan. A call to Skunk2 did get them to admit that they listed the item to be compatible to all 1991 Integras ... including the LS. According to them, they said that an oil pan swap is likely needed in order for the header to clear the pan, possibly one from a B18B engine.

What I would appreciate from anyone who might know of this issue is, will such a swap work for this header? Will a B18B pan swap directly with my engine? I also looked into a Moroso after-market pan but have not found anyone who used one in order to fit headers.
Thank you for any and all assistance.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Integra Oil Pan Header Clearance

I've actually used a couple cheap 4-2-1 headers on my b18a1, and had the same issue. I just used a little heat and a hammer, and flattened the pipe a bit right by the oil pan. You could use an OEM header, and still maintain most of your power, but they're heavier. I know the OEM for my 92 gs is still 4-2-1 tuned piping. Also, you don't need anything bigger than 2 1/4 to get max power. Stock is 2 inch, and 2 1/2 causes a lot of fitment issues, puts the exhaust closer to heat shields and the ground. Not sure if u want to beat on a nice header with a hammer, but it would solve your problem and the guys from "roadkill" have proven beating a header for fitment doesn't affect power!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the reply.
I'll certainly look into trying to "adjust" the header ... however, the hammer approach isn't exactly my first choice. I'm sure you're right about not needing 2.5" piping for a stock LS making maximum power, but it seems all after-market headers use a 2.5" collector.
I'm going to have a nearby fabricating shop have a look at it to see how they might "fix" things so that it will give me the best fitment and ground clearance, as well as plumb into my existing exhaust. Maybe they have experience with these and can recommend the best option. Maybe there's a straightforward approach.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a couple pics that may be helpful This is the original OEM header
Aftermarket
Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These photos show what I'm running up against ... literally.
When trying to seat the upper flange of the header on the exhaust bolts from the head (unseen), the runs are pushed into the oil pan, preventing them from mounting up. It may not look like a big deal in the photos, but it's enough to prevent installation.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I was thinking, and realized when I installed my exhaust, I got creative. I actually took 3, yes 3 gaskets and used some 650 temp silicone and a bit of aluminum tape to make one thick gasket. There are aftermarket gaskets, that are a bit thicker and less likely to blow out. When I used just one, the gasket blew after less than a year. The gasket I fabricated, is still working great! You can see where i flattened the pipe a bit by the oil pan
3 gaskets, taped and siliconed. It may be a bit ghetto, but it's fully functional!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the suggestion ... however your approach will not work for my headers. The Skunk2 Alpha Series are a 1-piece assembly with the only gasket location on the head itself.
I think that I have a solution though, and that is to swap my oil pan for the Moroso 4-Quart pan. It's claim to fame is that it will accommodate most after market headers, and from what I can see from their pics, the pan bends up closer to the drain plug than the stock OEM Honda pan, and has a more vertical lift there as well. That is where my fitment has its issue. So as soon as I can swap pans (a friend of mine has a lift, but is away on vacation) I'll get back and tell my results.

https://www.projectimport.com/wp-con...Pan-8-Copy.jpg