Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

instrument light/tail light/plate light FUSE problem.... wont stop blowing fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument light/tail light/plate light FUSE problem.... wont stop blowing fuses?

so last night, I turn on my lights and notice that the gauge cluster isnt lit up, niether is the climate control. So I turn on an interior light so I can see my speed and drive home. well this morning I go out and replace the instrument light fuse under the dash... its a 10. put the new fuse in and flip on the lights and the cluster lights up for a second then goes out. the fuse blew AGAIN.

What exactly causes fuses to go like that? a short in a wire somewhere or something like that?
I dont want to keep popping fuses, and I need my lights to work!
I searched for a while, but couldnt find anything.... so if you have any info please post it up!
Old 07-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: instrument light/tail light/plate light FUSE problem.... wont stop blowing fuses? (THE_HX)

BUMP cause it's unsafe to drive w/o lights!
Old 07-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Nikon!!!

Default Re: instrument light/tail light/plate light FUSE problem.... wont stop blowing fuses? (NA_B16a2)

Id look for a loose wire behind the cluster and check under your hood where the headlights are.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Re: instrument light/tail light/plate light FUSE problem.... wont stop blowing fuses? (thaiphob)

Did you change our your headunit lately? When my deck was stolen, i had a few loose wires and one wire happened to ground itself, and that kept burning out my fuses. Thats one reason why it would burn out, but yea check out for some sort of loose wire
Old 07-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: instrument light/tail light/plate light FUSE problem.... wont stop blowing fuses? (Deluzional)

yea i did actually put a new panasonic headunit in recently... I'll check all the wires there.

I really have no idea as to what causes fuses to go out repeatidly though.... i know that the cluster lights still work. the tail lights and liscence plate frame lights are on the same fuse, so i'll check for bad wiring there too i suppose.

thanks for the responses so far.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

probably grounding out somewhere
Old 07-19-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Re: (TypeRPaul)

I know this isn't recommended, but for the short term while you find out the problem you could try putting a higher Amperage fuse in.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tommymoose)

yea i was thinking about putting in a higher AMP fuse, but that seems really sketchy.

i'm not sure what else to do though...
Old 07-19-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: (THE_HX)

Does your dimmer switch work? It should not be functioning along with the rest of your lights. I am pretty sure that a loose wire is your culprit. Look behind your headunit carefully, one of the wires may be stuck due to the fact it has grounded. BTW hooking up fuse with higher amperage wouldn't do much, when I had this problem, even a 25 amp fuse blew
Old 07-20-2004, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THE_HX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i was thinking about putting in a higher AMP fuse, but that seems really sketchy.

i'm not sure what else to do though... </TD></TR></TABLE>If there's a short to ground, it'll probably just blow the bigger fuse, too. You're gonna have to get busy with a multi-meter & a circuit drawing to find it.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:13 AM

Default Re: (JimBlake)

exact same problem your having happened to me, it was the cig wires were melted togther and when car would move would ground out and blow fuses. check all the center console wiring for shorts and grounds.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Johnny_Lange)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnny_Lange &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">exact same problem your having happened to me, it was the cig wires were melted togther and when car would move would ground out and blow fuses. check all the center console wiring for shorts and grounds.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll check that tommorow... thanks for the info man!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the wiring to your new deck. 90% of the time this happens after an aftermarket deck is installed by owner/friend/etc. i wouldn't put a larger/higher volt fuse in place of the smaller one as you risk frying something even worse. i would suggest you find the short before anything else.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:27 AM

Default Re: (shermanyang)

I AM HAVIND THE SAME F PROBLEM MY FUSE FOR TAIL LIGHTS , INSTRUMENT LIGHT, PLATE LIGHTS IT BLOWS EVERYTIME I REPLACE IT WITH THE SAME AMPERAGE 10A

SO I TRY A FUSE WITH A BIGGER AMPERAGE 30A AND THE FUSE DIDN'T BLOW BUT THE WHOLE WIRE FROM THE FUSE BOX TO THE TAIL LIGHT IT BURN OUT SO NOW I HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE F WIRE BECAUSE OF MY DUMB ***

i will need help on which interior parts do i will have to take out i have a 1995 integra

but the only wire was burn it was the red one with the black strip on it

i am taking my whole interior out and replace the burn wire and hope this gets my lights working again so i won't get pull over and keep smoking v8s
Old 08-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: instrument light/tail light/plate light FUSE problem.... wont stop blowing fuses? (THE_HX)

I am sure you have some extra wires that have taped up when you install the deck. Check those extra wires that are not connected to anything seperate them. Most likely they are the reason for shorting it out even they are not used.