Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

impact wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impact wrench?

I asked my dad for a torque wrench for christmas. Well to make a long story short the idiots at the store told my dad they didnt know what he meant by torque wrench and he ended up buying me a Kobalt electric impact wrench.

I'm a noob wanna be mechanic and I'm just starting to gather the nessecary tools so I dont really have much. How useful is a impact wrench while working on cars?? Is it something I will use alot?? He gave me the reciept so I can take it back and get the torque wrench I wanted plus some other stuff (this impact wrench was alot more than the torque wrench I wanted, so I'll have some extra $ to spend) if I decide to.

Basically I'm not sure how much this tool will get used. Id rather just keep it and buy myself the torque wrench if this is something I will need, but if it wont get used that much Id rather have a nice torque wrench with some other goodies. Should I keep it or return it??
Old 12-27-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: impact wrench? (G2DAB18)

the impact wrench is priceless.....wait till you have to remove an axle...you will love your dad for it
Old 12-27-2005, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To remove big bolts like the crank pulley you will need the impact, Personally I have done everything on my car with hand tools, I jsut got a nice impact gun and air compressor.

You are going to get a "clicker" TQ wrench right? not a beam style. A clicker is more accurate, and general go higher in FT/LBS than a beam style.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: impact wrench? (lVlemphizStylez)

Keep it you could as use it for your lug nuts.

Ali
Old 12-27-2005, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: impact wrench? (Racermech)

impact wrenches are nice if they are air powered. i can guarantee you you won't be getting a crank pulley bolt off with a electric impact wrench. i'd return it and get a torque wrench.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: impact wrench? (danthemang3)

lol oh **** its electric...didnt see that...i assumed it was air powered...yea no sense in a non air powered impact....
Old 12-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stick with regular hand-powered tools for now... get the air powered tools later when you've developed some mad skillzzzz
Old 12-27-2005, 07:14 AM

yea, its a electric one. So I should return it then?? Whats a good torque wrench to buy?? I was looking at these digital ones at Sears but I dont really know much about them so I'm not sure exactly what one I want to get. What would be a good torque wrench for someone like myself to get?? I got a little over 100$ to spend, what should I get?? Whats a good accurate one that will last a long time??
Old 12-27-2005, 07:40 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: impact wrench? (danthemang3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danthemang3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd return it and get a torque wrench.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joso2005a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stick with regular hand-powered tools for now... get the air powered tools later when you've developed some mad skillzzzz</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2DAB18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I should return it then??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2DAB18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats a good torque wrench to buy?? I was looking at these digital ones at Sears but I dont really know much about them so I'm not sure exactly what one I want to get. What would be a good torque wrench for someone like myself to get?? I got a little over 100$ to spend, what should I get?? Whats a good accurate one that will last a long time??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would get one like this one, which is $30 at the Tire Rack. As Racermech mentioned, it's the click type, not the cheaper beam type. You can find professional quality torque wrenches for $150-300 but if you're just starting out, you really don't need to spend that much.

Harbor Freight has three similar click type torque wrenches on their website, for $12, $20, and $29. Just enter "torque wrench" where their website says "Find by keyword". However, I'm not sure whether any of them is as good as the Tire Rack one, which I know is pretty high quality, and they don't come with the case or adapters that the Tire Rack one includes.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: impact wrench? (nsxtasy)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...sults

Personally i would be willing to spend god money on a TQ wrench. I go to harbor freight and buy plenty of stuff, but i stay away from the torque wrenches, and other such items.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:07 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: impact wrench? (Racermech)

I had already looked at the Sears website before you posted the link, but their torque wrenches sound too expensive to me ($30 for the less-desirable beam type, and at least ~$70 for the click type). A beginner mechanic shouldn't have to pay that much for a halfway decent torque wrench. By comparison, Advance Auto Parts charges $12 for a beam type, and $43 or $46 (depending on the drive, 3/8" or 1/2") for a click type.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 AM

get a torque wrench and a 1/2" breaker bar the only toools youll ever need
Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Harbor Freight has three similar click type torque wrenches on their website, for $12, $20, and $29. Just enter "torque wrench" where their website says "Find by keyword". However, I'm not sure whether any of them is as good as the Tire Rack one, which I know is pretty high quality, and they don't come with the case or adapters that the Tire Rack one includes.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't get that one... I broke that torque wrench my first time using it(all I used it for was putting my lug nuts on and tried to use it putting my head back one and the bottom fell out and it won't stay set, it's a POS. Bought a snap-on and couldn't be happier.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no sense in a non air powered impact? my wireless impact saved me and my friends alot of times...i dont go work on any car without it
Old 12-27-2005, 10:02 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: impact wrench? (sykotic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sykotic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't get that one...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which one are you referring to?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sykotic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bought a snap-on and couldn't be happier.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And how much did you pay for the Snap-On? And how much do you work on your cars?

I'm not an advocate for buying cheap, inferior tools. And professional-grade tools are great for anyone who does a lot of mechanical work. I just don't think a beginner needs to spend big bucks on tools that are way better than he actually needs, like a $500 floor jack, a $300 torque wrench, etc., when a $100 jack or a $40 torque wrench will work just fine. Different products because different people have different needs - and someone starting out doesn't need the same quality (or quantity) of tools that a professional (or highly experienced amateur) mechanic does.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:03 AM

What do you guys think about this one, http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...CRAFT Its in my price range and seems pretty nice. Plus I really like that its digital.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:10 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (G2DAB18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2DAB18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do you guys think about this one, http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...AFT?? Its in my price range and seems pretty nice. Plus I really like that its digital.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I don't think a digital readout matters a whole lot (although others may disagree). What concerns me about that one is that its operating range is 5 to 80 ft-lbs. 80 ft-lbs is the recommended torque for wheel lug nuts, and I would be concerned about the accuracy of a torque wrench at its maximum measurement. I generally prefer to use one that covers the 20-150 or at least up to 100 ft-lbs, so that 80 is in the middle of its range. Better yet, you might want two - a smaller one with a lower operating range, for small bolts and stuff, and a larger one you'll use for lug nuts.

$.02
Old 12-27-2005, 10:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Which one are you referring to?

And how much did you pay for the Snap-On? And how much do you work on your cars?

I'm not an advocate for buying cheap, inferior tools. And professional-grade tools are great for anyone who does a lot of mechanical work. I just don't think a beginner needs to spend big bucks on tools that are way better than he actually needs, like a $500 floor jack, a $300 torque wrench, etc., when a $100 jack or a $40 torque wrench will work just fine. Different products because different people have different needs - and someone starting out doesn't need the same quality (or quantity) of tools that a professional (or highly experienced amateur) mechanic does.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was referring to the one in the picture, thats the one that broke on me. The Snap-On set me back about $250 I think, here it is:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog...talog

Me and my buddies work on our cars all the time, I've rarely used the torque wrench but when I need it, it's nice to have, you could just go to an autoparts store and get one of their loaner tools you just have to pay them, take it & use it, then bring it back for a full refund. I originally bought it because I was replacing my headgasket, I do have a little cheapy for doing anything under 50ft. lb., it's a "PT Performance Tools" brand that I got from O'Reilly's, I have only used it a couple times but it's held up so far. I do have a $300 craftsman floor jack that I bought a while back, it's a piece of junk, I swear I can pump it once and it makes contact with the car but every pump after that to get the car up in the air does almost nothing, it takes me a good 10 minutes to get the car jacked all the way up, I don't know if I didn't bleed it right or if I got a bad jack but this thing sucks!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Trial User

impact wrench can save lots of pain in da ***. header bots, exhaust bolts, suspension bolts, ect..... btw return that cheap *** brand for craftsmans electroic one. how much was it?? craftsman is $150. &lt;-getting one myself too.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...e#tab

and about torque wrench, i got one like that what tirerack sells. it worked awesome. been about 2 years, still works perfect.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:55 AM

This is the one I got, http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn...=none Its 100$, so thats about how much I'll have for a torque wrench when I return it.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: (G2DAB18)

Do not skimp out on a tq wrench, 250 for a snap on is well worth it. I myself don't build motors often but when I do I wanna make sure I follow tq. specs correctly. skimp on a jack(not jack stands spend the money on those too unless u wanna have **** fall on you) air compressor, impact gun things that don't need to be 100% accurate that are just irritating if they don't work 100% of the time. don't skimp on precision tools or safety equipment
Old 12-27-2005, 09:07 PM
HT Black OPs

Default Re: (AllaBlurDA)

I have the Snap-On click type and loving every minute of it.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: (00IntegrAllmotoR)

I have an Ebay click type that has served me well. I looked into purchasing an electric impact like the one you were gifted, and I came to the conclusion that 240 lb/ft of torque wasn't good enough. I also plan on painting my car this next year, so a compressor and air impact as well as a hvlp spray gun will be on my 'to buy' list. Now I need to decide what cfm compressor will power both of those tools.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:36 PM

i work at sears... in the hardware department and an impact wrench and a torque wrench is no where near being the same thing you should complain and be like wtf mate.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (sittingonROTAS)

My dad is also kinda retarded. He wasnt at Sears, he went to Lowes looking for a torque wrench. I know that they dont have them there. But I would like to know why when he comes in looking and asking for a torque wrench they send him out the door with a electric impact wrench. Thats just retarded.

So working at Sears then, would you reccomend that Craftsman Digi-tork torque wrench I posted as a good one?? Its about what my dad paid for the impact wrench so I can afford it after I take the thing back to Lowes and get a refund.

Quick Reply: impact wrench?