Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Idle Issues B20 vtec turbo

Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Issues B20 vtec turbo

i believe it might be the iacv but I want to get others opions before I buy one and that not fix it. Sometimes when I drive it the idle is no issue it acts normal however some other times it acts like the idle is hung around 2000. it will not go below it and sometimes the check engine light will come on when it is idling high like that. Example.. the other day I drove it to the store maybe 5 minutes down the road, the whole time every time I would let off the gas the idle was hung around 2000 and the check engine light came on and vtec didn't work. I get to the store cut off the car. when I get back in it to go home 5-10 minutes later I crank it up no check engine light and its idling normal and vtect worked. I have taken the iacv off and cleaned it, I cleaned the throttle body as well. (tried to just check the easy stuff first) I haven't had a ton of time to dig into it much more yet but any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle Issues B20 vtec turbo

Possible VTEC solenoid issue?
Old 05-06-2017, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i haven't checked that but I will I just didn't think about it because I didn't think it would cause the high idle. I have checked for vaccum leaks, iacv, fitv, map sensor, tps....I don't know what else it could be
Old 05-07-2017, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by k_powered_hatch
i haven't checked that but I will I just didn't think about it because I didn't think it would cause the high idle. I have checked for vaccum leaks, iacv, fitv, map sensor, tps....I don't know what else it could be
Have you checked to see what codes are stored from the CEL? If OBD1, use the jumper method and look for the blinks and if OBD2 grab a CAN/OBD scan tool and pull the stores codes. This will give you a better idea of what is going on, however I would suspect that something else is going on here besides what you have mentioned. IMO it seems that when the problem is occurring it is causing the CEL to illuminate as well as putting the car into "limp mode", which is why VTEC will not engage. I would first start by pulling your codes and then do the basic checks to see what's going on. A good place to start that doesn't cost any money or take much effort is grabbing a multi meter and checking all of your pertinent sensors to make sure they're working properly. Specs for what a properly running sensor will produce on the meter for each sensor (MAP, TPS, ECT, Crank, etc) can be found online or in a service manual if you have one. Personally that is how I would attack this problem and go on from there. Good luck!