Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Idle bogging? Let off gas bogging?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle bogging? Let off gas bogging?

Hi everyone, I’ve been reading up some on this issue but can’t seem to figure it out. When I start the car cold, it idles like normal, however when it warms up, it sounds like it bogs some. When I drive it, under load it’s fine, then when I let off the gas, the rpm drops really low (350-400) and almost dies. Then it will come back upto about 650-700 and run but it still sounds like it has a heavier cam in it.
Ive checked timing multiple times, it is fine. I’ve replaced plugs. The plug wires and dizzy came off of a running normal Integra. I pulled the o2 sensor connector off and nothing happened. Then I took the TPS off and it started running really crappy...Rev up, almost die, Rev up, almost die, etc. also occasionally if I hold the rpm steady, after about 30-40 seconds, the motor just bogs down like it wants to die again, even while holding throttle constant. Does anyone have any information as to what the problem is? It has done this in 2 different cars (with different wiring harnesses).
Old 02-27-2018, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle bogging? Let off gas bogging?

Update: I can drive the car around fine. It rough idles at stops like it wants to die (got slightly better, added some coolant). I’ve sprayed with starter fluid everywhere I can in the engine bay, have gotten no results. If I hold the rpm constant at say 2500, it will hold there for a bit, and then it’s like I’m trying to run on 2 cylinders. If I let off the gas and immediately back on, it’s okay and will idle on its own. As soon as I hold the rpm constant, it will hold for a few second and then start to cut out again.

Video of what I'm talking about.
Note: I hold throttle at 3k rpm and never lift my foot till I blip it at 1:16

Last edited by blkdoutteg; 02-28-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since you replaced with good running distributor cap and spark wires then I suspect it is IACV or FITV valve. These 2 valve have effects on rpm
Old 03-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I’ve tried cleaning that iacv as well as used an iacv from another running motor. Haven’t had luck with either. I can try and new one I suppose. Car doesn’t have an FITV (99 Motor). Would the o2 sensor create this issue if it was bad/faulty? I unplugged it yesterday and there was zero change as to how it was running.
is there a good way to multimeter it or something to see if it’s bad? Or would it not cause the issue either way?
Old 03-07-2018, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

did you replace tps? if so what brand? many are garbage. i know as i bought a few. 8(
running a dorman unit for the last 4 years or so with no issues. they have to be torqued down good.
i'd double check the calibration.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...hread-2830131/
Old 03-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I changed the TPS with another stock TPS from a running motor and nothing changed. I pulled the TPS with car idling and it drastically changed the idle to a much more sparatic idle
Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you have a vacuum leak, and it appears to be a big one

find vacuum leak, fix vacuum leak
Old 03-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why would it run perfect for like 30 seconds, then all the sudden bog like that? I changed throttle body with MAP sensor, so far it seems to have fixed my fluctuating idle condition. Maybe there was a small leak in MAP sensor gasket or throttle body gasket, or maybe it was a faulty MAP sensor itself. However, I still get the bog after 30 seconds or so of holding throttle steady in neutral. I haven't gone through the ECU reset though, so I will do that when I get home and let you know progress.

Also, if the coolant was low, would that cause the steady neutral throttle bog issue? I planned on driving it around to see if the problem persisted after driving it some, but of course it went from 70 degrees yesterday to snowing in like 2 hours in Denver.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had this issue and was resolved by resetting the idle as per Helm's manual. But it could also be the IACV, FITV, MAP, TPS or a vacuum leak. Do you own a multi meter? I would test each and start eliminating from there. You can test the IACV by unplugging it while the engine is running and warm, if the idle drops a bit it is working, if the car dies the idle is set too low (adjust idle screw counter-clock wise to 550 rpm with iacv unplugged). There is another test by removing the intake and covering the two holes just inside the throttle body opening. I forget exactly so double check but I think if you cover the top hole and the engine dies, the IACV is bad, cover both holes and something else happens, I forget, you have a vacuum leak. Or just bust out the butane.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a random thought, but it sounds kind of like the throttle position screw on the throttle body is just tightened down way too much. Try resetting your base idle as per the Helms manual.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATES!!

i found a small vacuum leak between intake manifold and head. Rtv fixer that...sprayed brake parts cleaner around entire thing and didn’t hear or see anything more. Idle is still almost 2k rpm on cold startup then slowly makes its way down to about 700-750 but still sounds like it’s missing occasionally. Runs fine then will sputter a bit.

Did compression test: all about 140. So good there.
Took the short ram intake off and it sounds like it’s pulling air from inside.
I plugged the bottom hole inside throttle body with finger, no change at all.
Plugged the top hole inside throttle body, and it killed the car. I read somewhere that that means bad IACV??

all help is greatly appreciated. I feel like I’m close since I’ve been narrowing down

thanks again everyone!
- Matt
Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

picked up an IACV from the local U-Pull, changed it. Definitely a difference in motor, had to retime the ignition. Now idle sounds good and not like it’s missing, however it idles super low now, like 450-mayybeee 500 RPM. Anyone have ideas as to why?

I reset ECU and still does it.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Try resetting the base idle with the idle screw on the throttle body. Also, make sure you got the correct IACV. You'll need one off of a MANUAL 96 to 01
Old 04-18-2018, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The IACV I put on was from a 95 accord, which looks identical. What would the difference be that it was from the exact motor (and trans) I was putting it on?

also, I’ve never messed with the idle screw, why would I have to mess with it now?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ordered an IACV from a 98 Integra LS 5 speed.
Just curious still, what would be the difference between IACV’s?

Thanks for all of the help.
- Matt
Old 09-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Trial User

so do people still use honda forum i see alot of old post nothing to recent and i need help with some things i have going on with my turbo set up