Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

idle air control valve, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle air control valve, PLEASE HELP!

my idle jumps from 1-2 grand chasing back and forth once i'm at operating temp. No vacuum leaks, and when I disconnect the idle air control valve its a super rough idle around 15g's. I don't want to have to pay for a new valve, has anyone ever successfully cleaned one of these out? or experienced similar symptoms? Please Help! I wanna save my money for important things like motor mounts and a b16 trans
Old 09-29-2015, 02:22 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: idle air control valve, PLEASE HELP!

Look in the FAQ for cleaning FITV and IACV, there's some great write ups.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cleaning is not difficult. How do you know there are no vacuum leaks? Has any work recently been done on the engine?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not what a bad IACV will usually do. A bad/dirty IACV will cause a steady high idle. This is because the IACV lets in additional airflow when the car is cold and shuts when it warms up. If it does not shut completely, it will continue to let air through, raising the idle. You can clean it out really easily with some brake cleaner, but you will likely find it doesn't resolve your problem.
That sounds more like a vacuum leak. Bouncing idle is almost always a vacuum leak. You can use a smoker to check for leaks. It could be as simple as a cracked hose.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought I had same problem. My b20v would stick 1600-2200 sometimes and other times it would surge 1800 and drop and 1600 and drop. 6 months later cleaning my sk2 throttle body and intake I seen there's a screw in the plate that was missing. Started the car(of coarse stuck at 16-1800 I put my finger on the screw hole and bam 750 idle . I actually just swapped in a b18c5 and that screw came out and banged my valve but I got it out . So check but stock has rivits and if a screw thred loc it.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Krazy613
I thought I had same problem. My b20v would stick 1600-2200 sometimes and other times it would surge 1800 and drop and 1600 and drop. 6 months later cleaning my sk2 throttle body and intake I seen there's a screw in the plate that was missing. Started the car(of coarse stuck at 16-1800 I put my finger on the screw hole and bam 750 idle . I actually just swapped in a b18c5 and that screw came out and banged my valve but I got it out . So check but stock has rivits and if a screw thred loc it.
That screw you're talking about, is it the idle air adjustment screw? on the front of the throttle body, if you're looking down the throttle body into the manifold it's to the left and somewhat below it? My screw was missing the plastic cover that was supposed to go over it, but I don't think that there is vacuum leak there. Thanks for the advice and i'm going to go thoroughly inspect my throttle body right now
Old 11-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Sounds like the IACV might need to be cleaned or your iat sensor is going bad.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95gsr@530
That screw you're talking about, is it the idle air adjustment screw? on the front of the throttle body, if you're looking down the throttle body into the manifold it's to the left and somewhat below it? My screw was missing the plastic cover that was supposed to go over it, but I don't think that there is vacuum leak there. Thanks for the advice and i'm going to go thoroughly inspect my throttle body right now
I believe he is refering to the TPS sensor, The oem TPS sensor is rivet style screw from the factory, using a new one or aftermarket you must remove the rivet and bolt the new TPS with the supplied screws or bolts after its calibrated. If his was missing a bolt then yes his TPS senor would be off causing a Idle and performance issue.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Sounds like the IACV might need to be cleaned or your iat sensor is going bad.
I cleaned the IACV and no help. But I will definitely look into cleaning the IAT because that is very easy to do. I still need to do a smoke test, it was mentioned in one of the comments and I totally forgot to try it. even though my vacuum reading is nearly perfect, it jumps up and down with the rpm. when rpm increases the vacuum also increases. When i'm in a really cold start up it will hold 3 grand for about two minutes, way before operating temperature, so it may be vacuum related, who knows. I'm gonna keep digging and I really appreciate all the advice
Old 11-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95gsr@530
I cleaned the IACV and no help. But I will definitely look into cleaning the IAT because that is very easy to do. I still need to do a smoke test, it was mentioned in one of the comments and I totally forgot to try it. even though my vacuum reading is nearly perfect, it jumps up and down with the rpm. when rpm increases the vacuum also increases. When i'm in a really cold start up it will hold 3 grand for about two minutes, way before operating temperature, so it may be vacuum related, who knows. I'm gonna keep digging and I really appreciate all the advice
The engine is suposed to run rich at a high idle on cold start ups thats normal. 3k is a bit high but as long as it starts to drop idle as it warms up then thats fine. Also indicates the IACV is operating correct.

Your saying when the engine gets to op temp it starts to fluctuate?

Could also be a old map sensor o ring. or map sensor going out but usually you will get a check engine light if any of those sensors fail. Most common is a vac leak but if this just came out of no where then i would start checking those things i mentioned.

I remember i long time ago i had this weird fluctuating idle and i believe i would disconnect the IAT sensor and plug it back in and start it up it would go away but it only did it a few times.

Also try resetting the ecu.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
The engine is suposed to run rich at a high idle on cold start ups thats normal. 3k is a bit high but as long as it starts to drop idle as it warms up then thats fine. Also indicates the IACV is operating correct.

Your saying when the engine gets to op temp it starts to fluctuate?

Could also be a old map sensor o ring. or map sensor going out but usually you will get a check engine light if any of those sensors fail. Most common is a vac leak but if this just came out of no where then i would start checking those things i mentioned.

I remember i long time ago i had this weird fluctuating idle and i believe i would disconnect the IAT sensor and plug it back in and start it up it would go away but it only did it a few times.

I reset the ecu several times during my attempts to solve the problem but no change. I looked past the throttle plate and found black liquid thin slimy residue all through out the inside of the throttle body and it seems to continue all throughout the manifold. I'm thinking now that this residue has blocked the orifice for the map sensor. When I shine a flashlight down the open throttle body I see no light coming out through the small orifice which feeds the map with vacuum. This concerned me. I'm also concerned with the source of the gunk. I'm thinking either my charcoal canister is flooded/or over delivering fuel to the intake manifold. Or, and hopefully not, there is a leak in my throttle body and somehow the coolant ran through it to warm it up is leaking into the throttle body/manifold. When I pulled the IAT sensor this slimy residue covered it also. Do you know of any good tests for charcoal canister's proper operation? i'm about to check mitchell1 right now. thanks for your help.

And yes during very cold start up the rpm will hold 3 thousand (a bit excessive even for cold start up) and prior to reaching operating temperate the rpm fluctuates. Quite substantially too. 1-3 g's is a big annoying rev making my car a huge embarrassment to drive

Also try resetting the ecu.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Trial User

try using one of your buddie iacv before you do anything else. i switched my iacv with my cousins and his car did the samething. i used his and now my car is running good now.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

had this symptom and chased it for a good couple of months... finally did a compression test and was low in one cylinder... had same issues... was weird hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Supersilverdc2 I have the same issues as you did low como in 1 cylinder

what ended up being your issue ?
Old 05-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On obd 0 and 1 models the iacv is directly under the throttle top pic iacv, bottom EIC

Iacv
Electric idle control
Old 05-13-2019, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry this never popped up in my messages. The Skunk2 throttle body has screws instead of rivets holding the throttle plate on and one of mine was missing. Don’t know how it happened but after I fixed it the car would stall out sometimes then when I went to start it it through a rod bolt or something smashed up spark plug