Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

i bought this 96 DB7

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i bought this 96 DB7

i have mentioned in a few other threads that i bought another integra. here she was on sunday night:

my friend is calling her gun devil because my new license plate starts with HK and contains 666.

i bought another integra because my 2000 is an automatic hatch, and i wanted a four door five speed. this past summer i was motorcycle only for almost two whole months because of various maintenance projects leaving my car up on jack stands. i came up with the idea to just get another car so i always have one to drive.

i was going to just putt around until the new year, but some speakers i had on craigslist sold. now, i have this extra cash i wasn't expecting. i started buying a few of the things it needs as i will note below.

like the title says, it's a 1996 LS DB7. the driver fender is a little crunched because of a deer incident, but the body has no rust issues other than a few tiny chips. overall, i was impressed with the car's condition. it has mud flaps! they sealed the deal : )

it has:
one clicky axle
cam seal/valve cover gasket leak
clicky top end/valve lash
broken power antenna mast
dead temp gauge
very little heat
abs light on/funky parking brake
pioneer head unit mounted incorrectly
blown front speakers

it was $1,800.

i already have a blox cam seal in hand, and i just ordered a valve cover gasket kit and temperature sending unit. i haven't read the abs codes yet. mostly, i am cleaning up the interior and observing the coolant behavior/hose temperature. both the upper and lower hoses are getting hot. maybe the top one is a bit warmer, but they are really close.

i am enjoying learning how to drive 5 speed. i had a little trouble initially with no parking brake. i took out the console to tighten the adjuster nut and saw this:

i tightened up the adjuster about 10 turns and now i have a little bit of a parking brake. some of the pads are squealing, but i am not sure which ones. from the outside, both the rears look okay. i am not sure what to make of the uneven cables, but i am sure the balancer exists for this exact reason.

i have been looking forward to sharing this with you guys, but i am a little disappointed that a foot of snow ruined my photo shoot plans.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 PM

Default Re: i bought this 96 DB7

nice start! be happy its one color
Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got some parts, today:

valve cover gasket kit
ect gauge sending unit
couple of screws for my steering column shroud

i put the temperature sending unit in about 15 minutes ago. i came in to let my hands warm up before i go out and make sure the temp gauge is working. it's 20* F, right now.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my parking brake looked like that on my ef with da rear discs, turns out one of the calipers was seized up. i'd check that out if i were you
Old 12-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
my parking brake looked like that on my ef with da rear discs, turns out one of the calipers was seized up. i'd check that out if i were you
thanks for the tip. the brakes grab a lot harder than on my 2000, but i don't know why else the difference would exist.

i'm working towards fitting both the car and my motorcycle inside my garage so i can work with some heat. updates to come.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my temperature gauge works after replacing the ECT sending unit. it confirms my suspicion: the car isn't warming up properly.

i let the devil idle for about 10 minutes with no radiator cap. the coolant loss while replacing the little sensor was minimal, but i wanted to see if i needed to top it off anyways. it bubbled a few times, and the gauge started to creep upwards. on my way to work, however, the car wouldn't reach the same temperature that it did at idle.

so, i stopped at the parts store and picked up some unsanctioned parts. stuff that i am willing to use that isn't honda:

fuel filter
thermostat
thermostat gasket

the fuel filter will help me sleep at night. all this car has seen has been neglect. i had to WD40 the door hinges to stop creaks--this car's PO just didn't get it.

i am struggling with the air box screws. i might try to remove the whole thing to get a better angle on the screws, but they didn't twist this morning after a dose of the WD.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4dr ftw, Gratz on a nice find.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice...
Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yay i wuv the DB's..
Old 01-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we have heat! i just put the thermostat in (it's 22°F MF), replaced most of the same coolant, and went for a spin around town. one more issue taken care of. i did notice a broken hose on the canister below the battery. the smaller hose is broken up and not attached at all. something else to look into : )

thanks for all the love, guys. i am really enjoying this car so far.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the ground is finally dry here in the 717, and the rest of this month should be interesting.

as you can see, the clicky axle was the result of bad front lower motor mounts. both of them are torn.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i drove this car around today for about an hour after working on all of the items (except the brakes) mentioned in my first post.

the rotors were rusty, and still aren't shiny after the drive. my brakes have gone soft, and the pedal will sink to the floor if i don't pump it. i was dragging them a lot to slow down instead of down shifting. the car sat for a majority of the passed six months, but the brakes weren't crap when i started driving.

the ABS code that has been returned since i bought it is 1-8 for accumulator gas leakage. i had good brakes six months ago, i think i just ruined the master cylinder or brake booster today trying to quiet them down on the maiden voyage.

i am thinking about buying a used ABS pump to fix the gas leak. i might try bleeding the brakes this week if i can find help.

good things that happened today:

+ no oil leaking or being thrown onto the hood
+ motor mounts held motor in place
Old 06-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great score