Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

How to tell if a GSR head has auto cams or manual cams

Old 10-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if a GSR head has auto cams or manual cams

Just got a jdm b18c long block from a very trustworthy and reputable supplier (hmotorsonline). He gave me the choice of a motor with manual cams or auto cams, with auto cams having a less aggressive lift profile for lower rpm. I chose manual, but my question is: how would you tell the difference beetween the two without actually measuring the cam lobe. Is there a certain stamp on the head or something?
Old 10-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to tell if a GSR head has auto cams or manual cams

The part # would be stamped on the cam, not the head. But I do not think Honda cams are stamped with part #. You may have to identify them visually like this:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...hafts-1220152/
If you feel like pulling them out and posting a pic, someone can probably identify them for you.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, i can't actually take them out of the head or it voids the warantee. I can take the valve cover off and turn the crank to rotate the cams to see it, unless the number is under a cap or something. Do you know where the number would be on the camshaft?
Old 10-19-2016, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why does cams matter if it's auto or manual? Please do explain because I love some one explain this to me
Old 10-19-2016, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is only what i was told by my motor importor. I am not claiming to know for a fact. Honda made a jdm specific SiR model crx or something, dont quote me on the model. But it used a b18c gsr with an auto transmission. Honda used cams with a less aggressive lift profile on these motors and the redline is 7000 instead of 8000. Other than that I believe there is no difference
Old 10-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PHAT-INTEGRA
Why does cams matter if it's auto or manual? Please do explain because I love some one explain this to me
Previous post is correct, as far as I know. There was a SirG (GSR) auto in JDM.
As far as the differences, it will be lift, degree and duration of the lobes on the cam. You'd have to get out the micrometer to check the specifics.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Yep have to pull the cam cap off and check the end ive never seen anything on indentifying Auto GSR cams, but wouldnt be hard to swap them out for usdm gsr cams if there not but they will void your warranty but i wouldnt worrie about it they should of sent the correct engine you paid for.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thewrai6th
Previous post is correct, as far as I know. There was a SirG (GSR) auto in JDM.
As far as the differences, it will be lift, degree and duration of the lobes on the cam. You'd have to get out the micrometer to check the specifics.
I know there was a SIR-G Automatic in Japan. Japan and USDM Cams will have different specs. There is VTEC and Non-VTEC cams but never heard of auto/manual cams.

You take a LS/RS/GS/SE manual and a LS/RS/GS/SE Automatic will they have the same cams? yes it will have the same spec cams it does not matter if it's auto or manual there all Non-VTEC cams.

Then you take a JDM SIR-G manual and JDM SIR-G Automatic they use the same Engine spec (same cams spec). The only different is the ECU and Transmission.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My guess would be different power band/ECU, redline is 7000 for the JDM auto?
As far as USDM models, you are correct, they are the same part #.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

You have to pull cams to identify.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:58 AM
Fish Twig

Ooooohhh...there does seem to be multiple camshafts for both intake and exhaust. This is interesting.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Fish Twig

So for documentation sake

Manual b18c

Automatic b18c
Old 10-20-2016, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
So for documentation sake

Manual b18c

Automatic b18c
Interesting find, where did you pull those part #s from?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know there was a SIR-G Automatic in Japan. Japan and USDM Cams will have different specs. There is VTEC and Non-VTEC cams but never heard of auto/manual cams.

You take a LS/RS/GS/SE manual and a LS/RS/GS/SE Automatic will they have the same cams? yes it will have the same spec cams it does not matter if it's auto or manual there all Non-VTEC cams.

Then you take a JDM SIR-G manual and JDM SIR-G Automatic they use the same Engine spec (same cams spec). The only different is the ECU and Transmission.
so you seem to know the answer to your own question than so why ask? Your popcorn eating emoji tells me you were looking to start drama. thats what i hate about these forums, but hey, do what makes you happy
Old 10-20-2016, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://asia.vtec.net/beystock/integra/art2/index.html
Old 10-21-2016, 06:47 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by thewrai6th
Interesting find, where did you pull those part #s from?
Good stuff here

Japanese cars online catalogs
Old 10-21-2016, 06:52 AM
Fish Twig

Damn...the automatic totally robbed the gsr of some power.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:52 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by Hatchg
so you seem to know the answer to your own question than so why ask? Your popcorn eating emoji tells me you were looking to start drama. thats what i hate about these forums, but hey, do what makes you happy
Its called debate/discussion. No need to get your panties in a bunch.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its called debate/discussion. No need to get your panties in a bunch.
ohhhh, i must have miss read said persons intentions. My apologies sir.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn...the automatic totally robbed the gsr of some power.
​​​​​​​Yes the transmission and accsesories and ecu is the major diffrence, i do beleive reading someone measured the cam lobes and they were the same as manual.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hatchg
You need to read the thread carefully before judging some one. I want to know where the OP online store told him there is auto and manual cams. I been in the Honda games for a long time (I'm in my 40s). This is the first time I have ever heard automatic and manual cams. I hate to see a buyer (OP) get shafted. That's like some one telling a female you need headlight washer fluid.

Just to make you all happy. I'm running a JDM CTR cams with ITR piston in my fully built GS/VTEC Automatic (JDM SIR-G) on a chip JDM P30 ECU tune on Neptune.

I have built a B20/VTEC (GSR head) on Hondata. I also have built a 454 on supercharge w/blower in my old Nova with a 4speed manual and a 502 for my cousin El Camino.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to read the thread carefully before judging some one. I want to know where the OP online store told him there is auto and manual cams. I been in the Honda games for a long time (I'm in my 40s). This is the first time I have ever heard automatic and manual cams. I hate to see a buyer (OP) get shafted. That's like some one telling a female you need headlight washer fluid.

Just to make you all happy. I'm running a JDM CTR cams with ITR piston in my fully built GS/VTEC Automatic (JDM SIR-G) on a chip JDM P30 ECU tune on Neptune.

I have built a B20/VTEC (GSR head) on Hondata. I also have built a 454 on supercharge w/blower in my old Nova with a 4speed manual and a 502 for my cousin El Camino.

​​​​​​​
Old 10-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

impressive. to answer your question, hmotorsonline sold me the motor and told me of this difference beetween the cams. Actually a few other motor importers that sell b18c gsr's put the word AUTO in the description when listing a motor for sale if it is from an automatic model. You will find this if you look for gsr motors on ebay. You are 100% correct in that there is usually no difference in the motor if its auto or manual, but Why would they feel the need to list it is auto if there is no difference in the motor. I am not claiming to know for fact but each importer that i asked claimed that the auto version has different lift duration. I am sure you know very much and no ones judging anyone. You learn more everyday and therefore you never know it all. Keep an open mind
Old 11-01-2016, 05:47 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Yes the transmission and accsesories and ecu is the major diffrence, i do beleive reading someone measured the cam lobes and they were the same as manual.
I think the only remedy is to do a b20/vtec, LOL.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are correct, just clarified with steve from hmotorsonline. I ordered a gsr head(specifically asked for one from an auto model) to use for my leftover b18b, since i will be replacing cams anyway. I will post pics of measurments when i get a chance, but they are the same size cam lobes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to tell if a GSR head has auto cams or manual cams