Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!!

I am not a newbie or someone stupid.
I know how to read engine codes, block codes, head codes, valve covers.

But is there a way to identify a GSR from a Type R Engine by looking at it inside or outside of it.

Please help out.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:10 PM

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (Civicdrgrcr)

gsr- B18C
R- B18C5
Old 12-23-2002, 01:13 PM

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (Brasspremier)

Im not that STUPID!
Old 12-23-2002, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (Civicdrgrcr)

Red valve cover = Type R
Black = GSR

Otherwise they look exaclty the same, They have different pistons and **** but you can see that unless your taking the motor apart. And of course the stamp on the block. The ITR also has different intake runners.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not that STUPID!
then what do you need to know?

Physical differences of ITR

-Red valve cover
-Intake manifold completely different
-Head is a P73 vs. GSR P72
-Block is B18C5 vs. B18C1
-Tranny will read LSD

Old 12-23-2002, 01:40 PM

1) Head Stampings
2) Intake Manifolds are different
3) Pistons have stampings as well
4) Header is somewhat different as well.

Look for the obvious.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:45 PM

Location: kyoto sangyo daigaku, kyoto, japan, sometimes bay area CA

you know how to read block codes but you want to know how to tell the difference from the outside as well??
Old 12-23-2002, 01:45 PM

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (b18bvtec4drteg)

the type r's combustion chamber is oval, the gsr's is square.

thats the easiest way to tell the head's difference if the code is scratched off...

as for the blocks... the gsr has a knock sensor, the itr doesnt. itr's crank, rods, pistons all marked differently. itr oil pump is different...

lots of differences
Old 12-23-2002, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (94goldjungsr)

Can you tell by taking off the valve cover and look at the valve springs? GS-R have single spring for intake, i think, or exhaust, not sure, but one of them is single springs and the other is dual springs while the ITR has dual springs on both.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (asianautica)

I cant believe the amount of morons on this board...
Old 12-23-2002, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (paste)

you're calling me a moron?
Old 12-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (asianautica)

No actually the person who made this post.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OH, ok, cuz you replied to me so I thought you were directing it to me.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (dLo GSR)

you know how to read block codes but you want to know how to tell the difference from the outside as well??
Read this. The person who made the post says he is not an idiot (righhht) and he says is there anyway to tell. The next person gives the block codes and he says he is not that stupid... wtf?! Is he blind? You read the damn block.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:20 PM

you know how to read block codes but you want to know how to tell the difference from the outside as well?? Read this. The person who made the post says he is not an idiot (righhht) and he says is there anyway to tell. The next person gives the block codes and he says he is not that stupid... wtf?! Is he blind? You read the damn block.
Both of the GSR/Sir-g and Type R motors are stamped B18C on the block in Japan. "Reading the damn block" won't tell you anything there now will it? Why is everyone so freakin high and mighty, it's a legit question, just answer it. Here's your hammer back.

Intake manifold, or by the code on the head like someone said above. That's how you tell them apart. It's not foolproof, but someone would have had to go a looong way out of his way to dupe you.

[Modified by EF'n Fast, 12:23 AM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-23-2002, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (EF'n Fast)

you know how to read block codes but you want to know how to tell the difference from the outside as well?? Read this. The person who made the post says he is not an idiot (righhht) and he says is there anyway to tell. The next person gives the block codes and he says he is not that stupid... wtf?! Is he blind? You read the damn block.

Both of the GSR/Sir-g and Type R motors are stamped B18C on the block in Japan. "Reading the damn block" won't tell you anything there now will it? Why is everyone so freakin high and mighty, it's a legit question, just answer it.

Intake manifold, or by the code on the head like someone said above. That's how you tell them apart. It's not foolproof, but someone would have had to go a looong way out of his way to dupe you.
Yes i know that, and i figured it by the way he was replying etc. But he is the idiot for not stating that if infact they are JDM motors or not.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just dont understand why gets mad saying hes not an idiot when he is to vague. If they are USDM motors, sorry but then he is an idiot because he cant read. But if they are JDM motors, SAY IT!
Old 12-23-2002, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just go cry...
Old 12-23-2002, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (tegasaurus)

P72 is stamped on my JDM teg engine all over the place, the head, the block, the inlet manifold, etc etc, so i will assume a ITR engine should have p73 stamped on it in various places, if you come across an engine in which all these marking have been scratched of them just walk away from it as someone is obvioulsly trying to hide something and find one that has not been interfered with!
Old 12-23-2002, 05:07 PM

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (furious94ls)

Red valve cover = Type R
Black = GSR

Otherwise they look exaclty the same, They have different pistons and **** but you can see that unless your taking the motor apart. And of course the stamp on the block. The ITR also has different intake runners.
we've got some quick ones brewing...

and i think civicdrgrcr was referring to from the inside w/out looking at codes, he plainly said he could read codes...maybe he was just wondering about internal distinctions...
Old 12-23-2002, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!! (tegasaurus)

just go cry...
i agreeeeee here are TWO hammerz yo!
Old 12-23-2002, 08:39 PM

Why won't you shut the **** up bitch. The reason I was asking was because one of my boys got his motor Confiscated by the police because some fucked up kid said that he stole his motor the kid said he stole his type r which was false because he never stole a motor PERIOD and they confiscated my boys GSR with a Red valve cover. the police want hard evidence and proof. Not me. So i jsut wanted to gather some info.

Heads can be changed so thats no good
covers can be changed thats no good.

So chill out about moron's and ****, you have no clue who i am or what I drive so chill out.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:40 PM

I got a fully built t4 ls/vtec.

the block codes is a no good since my boy notched the 1 of the b18c because he had a turbo manifold with a t3/t4 60-1 which made him notch the block some.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... thats fine but like i said, be more specific in your posts and dont get mad when people tell you what to do because you dont be specific.
Paste-who was slightly drunk from last night when i made those last posts

[Modified by paste, 11:32 PM 12/23/2002]
Old 12-24-2002, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if they confiscated your boy's gsr motor thinking it's a typeR motor, then the intake manifold & cylinder head gives it away (assuming that the gsr motor still has the original head & manifold). who the heck would want to put a gsr head on a typeR block?!? that's mess, he thinks it's a typeR motor.

Quick Reply: HOW TO IDENTIFY a GSR Engine from a Type R Engine?? READ!!