Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   How Do You Know When to Replace Clutch ? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/how-do-you-know-when-replace-clutch-3331612/)

zeroptzero 12-17-2018 04:40 PM

How Do You Know When to Replace Clutch ?

I've got a 2000 GS-R with 190k kilometres on it, (approx. 120k miles) It was a one owner lady driven vehicle for 18 years, I bought it from a guy who bought it off the original owner and he sold it shortly after buying it. Most mechanical items were well maintained from what I can tell. I was told about the timing belt replacement, but I don't know if the clutch was ever replaced.

I know on a worn clutch it releases very high up in terms of pedal travel, this one is fully released by 40 percent in the pedal travel, maybe even less, so it doesn't seem heavily worn that I can tell. It does not slip. I am just trying to gauge when the clutch may need replacing. I know clutch replacement is highly variable in terms of miles based on how people drive their vehicles.

I don't know if I could have an integra with 120k miles on it and only be 40-50 percent worn or less , does that sound right ? Or are most clutches on these cars replaced by 120k miles ?. How long can they last on average ? Any info on this would be helpful.

MotorMouth93 12-18-2018 12:17 PM

Re: How Do You Know When to Replace Clutch ?

Replace it when it slips or starts making nasty noises. Or if you have to remove the transmission for any other reason it's good to do it unless it's got very few miles since so much of the cost is labor.

If yours isn't doing either of those things then I wouldn't worry about it. B-series motors make approximately zero torque so clutches can last a very long time if not abused.

zeroptzero 12-18-2018 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93 (Post 51809507)
Replace it when it slips or starts making nasty noises. Or if you have to remove the transmission for any other reason it's good to do it unless it's got very few miles since so much of the cost is labor.

If yours isn't doing either of those things then I wouldn't worry about it. B-series motors make approximately zero torque so clutches can last a very long time if not abused.

Thanks for the reply, perhaps it could still be the original clutch then at 120k miles, no slipping or funny noises going on with it right now.

Mt3c 01-11-2019 09:49 PM

Back in the day when people still drove manual transmission gasoline automobiles...
i had a clutch fail on while driving on the freeway. Everything was working smoothly, then it wasn't. Couldn't shift into gear while vehicle was moving. Turns out it was a spring on friction plate separated. Pressure plate was still okay. Must of had 150,000 miles on original clutch.

zeroptzero 01-12-2019 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mt3c (Post 51829521)
Back in the day when people still drove manual transmission gasoline automobiles...
i had a clutch fail on while driving on the freeway. Everything was working smoothly, then it wasn't. Couldn't shift into gear while vehicle was moving. Turns out it was a spring on friction plate separated. Pressure plate was still okay. Must of had 150,000 miles on original clutch.

ah yeah, I've heard of it happening with some S2000's for some reason the springs on the friction disc can break unexpectedly, that would suck.