Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Honda-Tech heads needed ... B16b Type R in DC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda-Tech heads needed ... B16b Type R in DC?

just needed your thoughts about this set up i see b16a threads all day on the internet but non about a dc with CTR motor from my understanding it uses the same block as the 1.8 ITR motor this b16b that i purchased from HMO stock comes with 187 hp and 117t has higher compression ratio where as the JDM Gsr motor comes with 180 hp and 127t ..... does the torque difference really make a difference ? your thoughts and comments are appreciated ....
Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Honda-Tech heads needed ... B18b Type R in DC?

so you already bought it? shouldnt you have asked this question beforehand?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes made a purchase based on numbers and compression ratio's just asking for peoples opinions and thoughts and this kind of set up
Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's a rev happy engine. hope you like revving the **** out of it to get up and going.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rev happy motor compared to ?? not sure if ur insight is helpfull but if youre well informed id like to hear your opinion on this motor compared to lets say a gsr motor ?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you already bought the motor then giving you advise about it is pointless?

its a good motor. i wouldnt mind putting it in an integra chassis. not sure on price, but type R is just a name and i would have gone with a GSR if it was cheaper.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

both were the same price and steve at hmo was all out of obd2 gsr's gave me the motor for the same price i know "type r" is just a name but i looked at the numbers is what im getting at has more hp and it only has a 10t difference and uses the same block as the b18c
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the EK is a quick car with the 16B in, id immagine your DC will be nippy . simular weight just a diffrent wheelbase .

what gearbox and ecu will you be running ?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thnx for the feed back well I did fail to mention that I did not buy the trans I bought the long block only but I do have a gsr trans with act flywheel and competition clutch as far as engine management ill be running the Ctr ecu for now it's been a build of mixed emotions I should really make a thread about it lol
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you are really going to want a tranny that is equipped with LSD. And yes in my opinion TQ really does matter that much. If you were willing to spend the money on a b16 R motor why not just get the b18 R and be quicker? What are your plans with the build? Boost? N/A?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ b16b's came with lsd if you didnt know

Im happy with the b16b in my car...with a lighter flywheel it will have close to the same low end as a gsr.

Power to weight really matters...b16b in my 2094lb hatch is fine...torqueless b16b in your 2500ish pound car...not so much
Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Plans for the DC is just to have a clean tegg with the wheels I've always wanted a itr front end and just to drive a car that brings simple joy got my wheels my mounts and front end should be here by the end of November btw the torque difference is only 11 pounds does it really make that much of a difference and isn't the ek9 type r pretty close in weight next to a DC ? I will be picking up the motor tommorow and yes I'm keeping it NA .... Turbo is a addiction I can't afford to feed lol
Old 10-31-2012, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Honda-Tech heads needed ... B16b Type R in DC?

1.6 in a dc chassis sucks to drive.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
^ b16b's came with lsd if you didnt know
^ He didn't buy the tranny if you'd read, just the long block that he will mate with a GSR trans.

And also yeah I really think the torque is that much different. Personally I would have gone with the B18 type R motor. I say this because I just bought one (will be here Friday) and my plans are to keep is N/A as well. Or if not that kind of money, you could have done the GSR B18 and got a mild port from a local shop, cams and tune for more power than the B16B for close to the same money as you had spent.

My motor gets here this Friday, and the swap will begin this weekend. Once I am finished I will post up some videos driving around with it. I think it would be fun to compare such swaps under daily driving and 1/4 mile track times so people can visually see the gap between the motor if any in the DC chassis and then can decide for themselves what swap they'd like to purchase.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i had the extra money i wouldve gotten the b18c its just im on a budget and i have a date in my mind on when i wanna have my baby back ... i miss driving her :/ but yea i have yet to see a b16b in a integra maybe for a reason but ill be the judge of the power difference i have a two buddies that own a GSR motor and an itr motor itll be interesting to compare all 3 motors which all will be equipped with simple bolt ons .... so bump for having a diff motor in dc ?????? or complete fail ? lol
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RecklessEJ
just needed your thoughts about this set up i see b16a threads all day on the internet but non about a dc with CTR motor from my understanding it uses the same block as the 1.8 ITR motor this b16b that i purchased from HMO stock comes with 187 hp and 117t has higher compression ratio where as the JDM Gsr motor comes with 180 hp and 127t ..... does the torque difference really make a difference ? your thoughts and comments are appreciated ....
You do know that there is no such thing as a JDM GSR, right? Honda never sold an Integra labelled as a GSR in Japan...

The difference between 127 lbs-ft and 117 lbs-ft with a US GSR transmission in 2nd gear is 83.6 lbs-ft at the axle.

Without a more aggressively geared transmission, it is a very noticeable difference. With a correctly matched transmission, it isn't enough of a difference to worry about.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea its the SI-R motor im aware i just didnt want to get too specific and confuse anyone but what you mentioned about having the right transmission is interesting ... its sort of too late to go back now im picking up the motor at 6 so i guess the question now is how well does a b16b motor perform equipped with a usdm gsr trans ... it will have a act flywheel with a competition clutch guess ill have to find out ....
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
1.6 in a dc chassis sucks to drive.
in japan they have single cam integras.

b16b wont be so bad. b16a maybe..
Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
You do know that there is no such thing as a JDM GSR, right? Honda never sold an Integra labelled as a GSR in Japan...

The difference between 127 lbs-ft and 117 lbs-ft with a US GSR transmission in 2nd gear is 83.6 lbs-ft at the axle.

Without a more aggressively geared transmission, it is a very noticeable difference. With a correctly matched transmission, it isn't enough of a difference to worry about.
no jdm gsr. but there is a

SiR-G vtec model... same difference
Old 11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive never seen a b16b in an integra i will make it work and stand apart from a typical gsr tegg or ls tegg cmon who wouldnt want to drive a car with high end power band and a car thats capable of reving to the moon lol in all seriousness this tegg will be done right with all the parts ive wanted im almost there practically i refuse to be part of the group in the scene that has stupid non functioning accessories on a car .... build thread coming soon
Old 11-06-2012, 01:39 PM
RESIDENT

Don't listen to everyone about the torque, I have a b16b in my DB, it works just fine, you don't have to rev it like crazy to get going. I shift at 4k all day long and it's perfect. It is a rev happy motor though, it does like 8,500rpm's You will be happy with the motor, I like this motor better then my old Gsr.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Owning one doesnt mean you can feel the difference and even if you did we arent talking worlds apart. That said imo, the difference in torque between those two is more important than the difference in hp. Realistically if were talking quarter mile its probably tenths of a second. As is the difference between a ctr and itr. I would probably have gone with the 1.8 but wouldnt have overlooked the option of the 1.6 and thought about it before purchase.

Since you have it though... get a itr trans. Will help bunches.