Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

NEW GSR OWNER: HELP on few matters

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW GSR OWNER: HELP on few matters

I recently picked a 97 Integra GSR with 150K miles. I know mileage is high, but it’s a Honda. Anyways, I have a few things I need to fix or be visulent of and I need forum member’s help.

While I was cleaning the engine bay the other day, I noticed there was absolutely no coolant in the reservoir. So I put in some water wetter into the radiator and refilled the reservoir up to max. So today, I noticed the level dropped already. Not good. Does this mean the coolant is leaking into the head? The car isn’t blowing out white smoke though, so kinda good sign. I know the radiator was changed around 130K miles but it looks like crap already. I was using the garden hose to remove the residue left on the fins of the radiator.

Any suggestions as what I should do? The engine never runs past the half way mark in terms of temp gauge. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:13 AM
god.loves.ugly

Default Re: NEW GSR OWNER: HELP on few matters (bavarian06)

it might have just been really low and once you ran the car it sucked most of it into the system. if its not leaking visibly and its not burning it. I would add more coolant let the car run with radiator cap off until it gets to normal operation temp. and then if it needs more coolant top it off. and it should be set.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW GSR OWNER: HELP on few matters (so.dark.the.con.of.man)

is it ok to run w/o the cap on?

something went terribly wrong i believe and thats why the radiator had to be replaced. what causes a radiator to go bad?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:20 AM
god.loves.ugly

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bavarian06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it ok to run w/o the cap on?

something went terribly wrong i believe and thats why the radiator had to be replaced. what causes a radiator to go bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know leaks or if they tried to fix it with some crappy cheap radiator repair stuff. yeah you can run it with out the cap it gets the air out of the system.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW GSR OWNER: HELP on few matters (so.dark.the.con.of.man)

thanks for the replys first off.

i'll try that tomorrow (cap off). the radiator was replaced at jiffy lube i noticed. i actually get my oil changed at that chain store too so thats how i found out. i got pissed since they didnt notice it had no coolant when they said.. "topped off all the fluids, including coolant"
Old 05-20-2006, 12:25 AM
god.loves.ugly

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bavarian06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the replys first off.

i'll try that tomorrow (cap off). the radiator was replaced at jiffy lube i noticed. i actually get my oil changed at that chain store too so thats how i found out. i got pissed since they didnt notice it had no coolant when they said.. "topped off all the fluids, including coolant"</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i watched a video that someone posted here on honda tech about jiffy lube and a news station investigated them and like 5 stores in CA and AZ didn't do any of the services specified except for change the oil. so I don't go there anyway.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 AM

to check it...fill up the water then check for leak...if there no leak it might not have enough radiotor water...do what so .dark.the.con.of.man
said u should solve your problem....
Old 05-20-2006, 06:27 AM

Check your oil. If its milky color you have a problem.

But it seems to me you were just low on water.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nors)

i'll have to monitor it closely.

the oil is clean (looks like the way its suppose to be).

how do coolant levels ever drop? i doubt it can be evaporated or can it?