Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Has anyone removed ALL under carriage heat shields???? Rattle is killing my patience.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone removed ALL under carriage heat shields???? Rattle is killing my patience.......

I'm sick of this rattle. It's from 2800-3100 rpms. I've had it for almost a year, but it was less noticable when first installed. I've had my car looked at my a muffler shop up on the hoist for around 1.5-2 hours. I had my cat gutted. then i had the cat heat shield removed. then the whole converter removed (replaced with a resonator). I thought it might be the spring bolts where the header meets the mid-pipe so I had new oem ones put in, no help. I'm thinking about removing all the under-carriage heat shields, I'm completely fed up already, I spent around $700 CDN getting shyt removed and installed, and i just want this to end. It is a metallic ("tinny" sound), so I just want to know if worse comes to worse and i remove all the heat shields will it cause any problems.

Lastly, I had the exhaust inspected for leaks and there aren't any. I know these threads come up often but i've never seen a thread asking about removing all heat shields............
Old 04-28-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Has anyone removed ALL under carriage heat shields???? Rattle is killing my patience....... (ja

Why not bend them or tighten them back up?
Old 04-28-2004, 09:58 PM

yup, took all my heat shields out, including the one welded to the B pipe (needed clearance for a custom short shifter)... no rattles, no problem just gets a little warm in rush hour traffic
Old 04-28-2004, 10:42 PM

rip that suka off yo
Old 04-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I unbolted all of mine...I dont really think an exhaust could melt anything important down there...Maybe Im wrong. Only thing Ive noticed is SOMETIMES youll notice your shifter being a little warm; nothing to keep your hand warm tho
Old 04-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Has anyone removed ALL under carriage heat shields???? Rattle is killing my patience....... (ja

You will have no problems just a little more heat in the shifter area.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:26 AM

thanks allot guys, I tried a number of searches and i actually found some similar threads, with the majority saying that no problems arose from removing the heat shields. I'm gonna give it a shot today, and if the rattle continues then some other part of my exhaust is f'd.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:30 AM

my buddy took off all his heat shields and he said his shift **** would get to hot so he put them back on
Old 04-29-2004, 02:21 AM

the cat shield will be the worst for heat, it can actually start to melt the under-coating too, which after time will make even more heat come through. If you can, leave that one on, unless you like a hot hand and the smell of burning plastic
Old 04-29-2004, 05:30 AM

What sort of exhaust do you have? it could just be that the exhaust itself is resonating and that's what it sounds like.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:51 AM

i've got custom piping to an N1 muffler. There is a straight-through design resonator on the piping, which after install cleaned up the sound slightly to hollow it and deepen it (but harsh rattle exists). If I drive my car REALLY slowly through the rpms the rattle can't really be heard but there is a distinct change in exhaust pitch. If anyone else's apex-i N1 has a harsh rattle around 27 or 2800-3100 rpms, i may just have a rattle-y muffler i guess.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:56 AM
No

I use too have a rattle and it was on my cat heat shield.Now its fine,because i took it off.I installed a dc header yesterday and there is another rattle.Not sure what it could be.Im gonna remove the other heat shield also.The bigger one.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:08 AM

Default Re: (narib2oo1)

I actually don't have the cat converter heat shield or the header heat shield (i got an edelbrock pro-flo header). That is why this is so puzzling, I'll get them to check the piping for pin -hole size leaks also, who knows, the heat shield removal may solve nothing (another reason I'm kinda worried about taking them out)............
Old 04-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ure piping might be rubbing against ure shift linkage. i had that problem once.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:01 AM

modify it ., use screws or bend what ever is rattling. I removed mine and it gets hot as *** . The short shifter that i have is hollow ,and I think it conducts more heat than a stock solid shifter would
Old 04-29-2004, 10:11 AM

Old 04-29-2004, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

instead of removing the head shields, why not tie it down with wired pipe clamps from home depot...

Old 04-29-2004, 11:00 AM

well, I just got back from the muffler place, exhaust still rattles. There is no heat shield interference, and it appears that the shields are still in mint shape . The guys at the shop figured that the flow characteristics of my exhaust change during that rpm and the muffler itself (with it's straight-thru design) simply makes that sound through those rpms. I even had them take off the piping to ensure there was no chunks of converter causing the rattle. I dunno, i guess I'm stuck with it .