Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

GSR or Type R?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GSR or Type R?

B18C R hands down. You will be spending MORE money just to get the specs of the R. The time and effort for me wasn't worth the money. Stock or mildly upgraded GSR isn't worth it. They all add up. I guess I have a refreshed motor but how long will it last? Time will tell.

B18c1 longblock/ecu~$900 (pretty much beat up, miles was unknown, need new ex. valves/guides)
B16 tranny~$$450
machine work:block/prep/bore/hone/head assembly w/new guides/p72 exhaust valves~$800
Honda bearings & all/breather hoses, t.b./i.m gaskets~$400
I lost my receipt/s for tbelt/tensioner/w./o. pump,head gasket,valve seals, vtec sol. gasket~$350?
cams/pistons~$200/$180 w/rings
dc header~$100
itr t/b,sk2 pro i/m~$120/$200
exedy stage 1 clutch kit/type r flywheel~$350
dyno tune & chip service~$400

Last edited by rhymeshark916; 04-21-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GSR
Nice ride btw
Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id do type r for bling factor and daily driving
But if u plan on modding and building it a gsr
Motor would be best so u dnt spend
so much cash on a project motor plus more money
On mods but that's just me. Id hate to blow my R
Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
If you want to build a motor and have the knowledge than build a motor but it will cost money and they usually dont last as long as a untouched oem swap concidering it has low miles.

A ITR swap with trans and ecu would be a much wiser choice! Honda did a hell of a job desighning the type r motor! its a race inspired engine out the box! just open it up with a few simple mods like intake header and ex and the motor will really show you whats up then a reflash or ecu tune would really wake up the motor! i wouldnt deal with any other B series swap! ITR or none!

Then if you got allot of money coming out your butt venture into the K series swaps! 3 times as much $ but theres power and reliability with the K's just not for me! i love my ITR!
You do realize he specified 250hp and 10k RPM...

If he's going with a B-series, there will be engine building involved. As has already been stated over and over, any benefits that the R has will be negated during the build anyway. The Type R in this situation is just a waste of (1)money and (2)a good original motor.

Not sure if he's talking whp or power at the crank, but either way, I don't think the price of the K is justified. I highly doubt a built K-swap can yield the HP per dollar of the GSR or B20, when all's said and done. BTW, any of the above choices can (and should) be reliable if built and tuned properly, and not abused by the driver.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me begin by saying u r heading in the right direction by buying youre motor at hmo, just bought a type r tranny with kazz LSD and came out great! steve is pretty legit guy and if you have any doubts on what motor to swap you should give him a call.. his knowledge on jdm is very high.. in my prespective ill go with the gsr and built it with some skunk2 stage 1 cams, bigger throttle body and tunning youre car at the dyno u should be a happy camper.. thats if ur doing daily driving.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious OP have you ever owned a Integra Type R? ... if you have as your name implies you would fully understand why the ITR motor and tranny is superior to the GSR in every single way.

If you have to ask these questions you should just stick to your LS and be happy, turbo that down the road and I am sure you will love it.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get the itr, i love mine.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beneton
You do realize he specified 250hp and 10k RPM...

If he's going with a B-series, there will be engine building involved. As has already been stated over and over, any benefits that the R has will be negated during the build anyway. The Type R in this situation is just a waste of (1)money and (2)a good original motor.

Not sure if he's talking whp or power at the crank, but either way, I don't think the price of the K is justified. I highly doubt a built K-swap can yield the HP per dollar of the GSR or B20, when all's said and done. BTW, any of the above choices can (and should) be reliable if built and tuned properly, and not abused by the driver.
i think most of us discounted 10k and 250whp since if he wanted that he would be calling endyn with ten grand and not posting on honda tech
Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gsr
Old 07-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostn92vx
Just curious OP have you ever owned a Integra Type R? ... if you have as your name implies you would fully understand why the ITR motor and tranny is superior to the GSR in every single way.

If you have to ask these questions you should just stick to your LS and be happy, turbo that down the road and I am sure you will love it.
Nut swinger. Simply put that a gsr will be far less and cheaper to make faster then a type r. Which will be then be "superior" in terms of power output. It's up to you OP. Ive personally seen gsr's beat type r's and vise versa. But as far as money goes, if you source parts wisely then gsr.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sebTeggy
no such thing as a type R front, I think you mean JDM front

b18c (JDM Motor) can be either from a type R or GSR... so I dont see the whole 'authenticity' aspect here haha.

b18c1 - gsr
b18c5 - type R

type R motors are over rated. Get yourself a gsr, put some bolt ons and heavy cams, and you will wizz past a type R.

Type R's are so friggin torqueless compared to built gsrs :D especially with the dual stage intake manifold that EVERYONE hates..... except me
wrong, type R fronts are dark housing.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93gsrhatch_1
gsr
Originally Posted by Danimals
Nut swinger. Simply put that a gsr will be far less and cheaper to make faster then a type r. Which will be then be "superior" in terms of power output. It's up to you OP. Ive personally seen gsr's beat type r's and vise versa. But as far as money goes, if you source parts wisely then gsr.
Seriously why are you/we bumping this thread when the OP is nowhere to be found? It's useless, he hasn't post an update.

As for "Danimals" - What's "superior"? LOL @ "nut swinger" to the other guy. Calling people out. Like my previous post, I spent more money to get the same power as a stock R. Do the math. I'm going by first hand experienced and logic here. Pound for pound, Type R. Enough said. I don't recall what he wanted out of the two engines. He just said he want to know which way is the cheaper route. Like building a GSR to a Type R specs?

Stock GSR - is base B18C

Stock Type R - Upgraded B18C
Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But if you're going 190+ whp you can get there just as cheaply on a B18C1 as on a B18C5, making the B18C1 a much better investment.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rhymeshark916
Seriously why are you/we bumping this thread when the OP is nowhere to be found? It's useless, he hasn't post an update.

As for "Danimals" - What's "superior"? LOL @ "nut swinger" to the other guy. Calling people out. Like my previous post, I spent more money to get the same power as a stock R. Do the math. I'm going by first hand experienced and logic here. Pound for pound, Type R. Enough said. I don't recall what he wanted out of the two engines. He just said he want to know which way is the cheaper route. Like building a GSR to a Type R specs?

Stock GSR - is base B18C

Stock Type R - Upgraded B18C
Sorry then you didn't spend the money wisely. Btw you just bumped it.....
Old 07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
But if you're going 190+ whp you can get there just as cheaply on a B18C1 as on a B18C5, making the B18C1 a much better investment.
Correct and exactly.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Danimals
Sorry then you didn't spend the money wisely. Btw you just bumped it.....
Originally Posted by rhymeshark916
Seriously why are you/we bumping this thread when the OP is nowhere to be found? It's useless, he hasn't post an update
........and hp isn't guaranteed but I put more stock on a factory motor.