Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   GSR or Type R? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/gsr-type-r-2922627/)

LovinmyTypeR 04-12-2011 03:10 PM

GSR or Type R?

HI guys an gals! I'm having a bit of a dilemma... Soon I'm going to be purchasing a motor for my 95 Integra LS. Now I'm not new to the Honda scene and have done many swaps but I need some persuasion. My question is should i get a Type R motor or GSR? My goal at first was to go for authenticity since I have the Type r front and i wanted the motor number B18C... But I was told i could go a cheaper route and buy a GSR and port and polish and get stage 1 cams and it would be the same thing which didn't seem right to me. H-motors has a whole type R swap with lsd tranny for $3500.00 as I could get a good GSR for $13-$1600 not including tranny or ECU. So now I look to you guys...Help!:thud:[IMG]http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5586/1001074u.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

PreyStayShun 04-12-2011 03:47 PM

Re: GSR or Type R?

What kind of ending HP are you shooting for? And how come your ruling out B20V?

I was looking on Hmotors website and their 96-97 ITR motor is $3600+shipping (so figure near 4k) Plus motor mounts...clutch...etc....all of the things that should be done prior to dropping the motor. I'm thinking after install that will have set you back at least $4700...

Just to steep for me...I'd go GSR and build it over time.

Just my $.02

EDIT: No offense, love me ITR...but a lot of money can be saved on the B20 or GSR route. And you'll be just as happy.

sebTeggy 04-12-2011 04:09 PM

no such thing as a type R front, I think you mean JDM front

b18c (JDM Motor) can be either from a type R or GSR... so I dont see the whole 'authenticity' aspect here haha.

b18c1 - gsr
b18c5 - type R

type R motors are over rated. Get yourself a gsr, put some bolt ons and heavy cams, and you will wizz past a type R.

Type R's are so friggin torqueless compared to built gsrs :D especially with the dual stage intake manifold that EVERYONE hates..... except me

LovinmyTypeR 04-12-2011 06:32 PM

Thanks for the reply's guy much appreciated. I was leaning more toward the GSR just for the fact that I would have some $$$$ left over. So that will help me with my next goal to safely rev to 10K and big cams:P . sorry about the Type R front thing...Type R on the brain lol

smoked08 04-13-2011 12:01 AM

jst get the jdm b18c gsr or as some pple may knw as the SIR-g
and build it ,in the long run you'll be raping type r's ! :) getting bigger cams etc goodies !

fcluddington 04-13-2011 04:14 AM

I havent had a b20 but and I am still running my 98+ jdm b18c. I have never been happier with the decision. One thing to consider is the 98+ has a 4.7 fd. You will really notice the steep gears. I bought mine from JDM Online and they had great customer service.

::ek-4:: 04-13-2011 07:00 AM

I love my GSR! ITR motors scream "steal me" just because the are rare. For the price that they cost they are over rated. Good luck with your build.

chriszal1 04-13-2011 09:07 AM

Thats a jdm front end...i would go with a gsr..cheaper...and if a gsr with bolt ons aint it..turbo it

RdmptionCivic 04-13-2011 09:14 AM

Even though I've never owned either, I'm gonna go ahead and say GSR. The money you save could be used to make the GSR out run a Type R easy.

mark@silbernage 04-13-2011 09:27 AM

Over the years the consensus has seemed to be, if you're going to drop it in and run it go ahead with ITR, otherwise, save your money and use it to build the GSR. The GSR makes a good foundation, and you're probably replacing or modifying everything that makes the ITR unique anyway..

ram22da9 04-13-2011 09:37 AM

gsr dude save money and upgrade the gsr

KILLAB17VTEC 04-13-2011 02:49 PM

i go gsr n/a pushin like the 290hp nsx i would be happy or just go turbo.

Klasse 04-13-2011 02:56 PM

It gets called a "JDM" front end but plenty of JDM Integras had the round light front, just not Type Rs.

LovinmyTypeR 04-13-2011 07:21 PM

Majority vote so far GSR! One thing I did liked about the type R swap is it came with the S80 LSD trans. And they were under 20K miles with warrenty. Dose anyone know of a cheap but good site to look at GSR's??? Thanks for the replys guys!:thumbup:

sik96teg 04-13-2011 07:48 PM

If you have the money just do the type r swap. If not GSR. Its as simple as that. You can upgrade your cams in a gsr but you also have to replace your valve springs. So it just depends on what you want. If your car is a DD you will get better mpg with the gsr tranny which is why i got a type-r motor and put in a type-r lsd in my gsr tranny. As for other sites i dunno. i bought my motor from the acura dealership.

smoked08 04-13-2011 08:28 PM

Go to Hmotorsonline.com best place to get a motor with less
Miles on them & trust worthy ftw!!

theEGGmonsta 04-13-2011 10:41 PM

LOL there is such a things as a type r front end... it simply comes off the type r from japan, and when they refer to jdm front...they usually mean the jdm gsr. LOL theres a different in jdm gsr headlights and type rs... LOL funny ht people...anywho...

i say you go gsr, simply because if it ever comes to it you can bar it.. im not so sure about the type r motor, too much confusion i dont even know whats going on anymore.

either way you cant go wrong. i mean if you have the money then by all means get the type r. if budget is a problem go with the gsr. gsr will be easier to boost, itr is superior for that engine response, all motor setups. but the gsr could do the same its just gonna take some work.

racebum 04-13-2011 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by LovinmyTypeR (Post 45071295)
Majority vote so far GSR! One thing I did liked about the type R swap is it came with the S80 LSD trans. And they were under 20K miles with warrenty. Dose anyone know of a cheap but good site to look at GSR's??? Thanks for the replys guys!:thumbup:

doesn't hmotors have them?

you get a LOT of upgrades in the itr vs the gsr swap for swap

*increased resale
*itr cams
*itr VT
*11:1 compression
*a decent exhaust manifold
*single runner intake manifold
*helical LSD
*closer ratio gear box

if you were to upgrade a GSR you would spend the extra $1000 which is the difference in the swap price on just the LSD, cams and intake manifold.

if you get the gsr lsd it's +400 which still makes the math the same and we haven't even talked about labor, the vt, gear ratio improvement or bump in compression

gsr is probably the better buy for boost since all you'll change is the intake manifold

for a NA drive the ITR is a better buy

mpg is roughly the same. gsr got about 320 miles a tank, itr does too

danielblushtein 04-14-2011 03:15 PM

gsrs all day. Ive seen type-r's with bolt-ons run mid to high 14's and a gsr with boltone's running low 14. If lets say you get a gsr swap 100%complete for $1500 and for $2000 more( cince the R is 3500) you can be much faster than the R.

fcluddington 04-14-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by danielblushtein (Post 45076849)
gsrs all day. Ive seen type-r's with bolt-ons run mid to high 14's and a gsr with boltone's running low 14. If lets say you get a gsr swap 100%complete for $1500 and for $2000 more( cince the R is 3500) you can be much faster than the R.

I call bullshit on the GSR's being faster!!

PreyStayShun 04-14-2011 04:52 PM

Not trying to beat a dead giraffe wolf w/a stick but wouldn't a b20v be a much better value then ITR or GSR? How come I'm the only one that mentioned this? I'm not high right???

Think about it:
If I had $3500 bones thats EXACTLY where I'm going. Can you imagine what $3500 would do to a B20V compared to paying the same price for a stock ITR motor, or even mildly upgraded GSR motor for that matter? And the torque....OMG <3

Built B20V/GSR Tranny/ITR LSD= Winning

racebum 04-14-2011 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by PreyStayShun (Post 45077479)
Not trying to beat a dead giraffe wolf w/a stick but wouldn't a b20v be a much better value then ITR or GSR? How come I'm the only one that mentioned this? I'm not high right???

Think about it:
If I had $3500 bones thats EXACTLY where I'm going. Can you imagine what $3500 would do to a B20V compared to paying the same price for a stock ITR motor, or even mildly upgraded GSR motor for that matter? And the torque....OMG <3

Built B20V/GSR Tranny/ITR LSD= Winning

the b20v will make more power all else equal. they just happen to have the nick name "time bomb" for a reason. an itr engine can run to 8500 and often lives 150k+ miles. a b20v is considered a long liver if it makes it 10k miles. when you read posts about guys saying "i ran a b20v for a year" this is often why it was just a year

also this "torque" difference is literally a few ftlb

you want to be fast start buying turbo parts, it's as simple as that.

a stock gsr or itr will live an extremely long life at 300whp boosted if the parts are high end and the tune is spot on

PreyStayShun 04-14-2011 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by racebum (Post 45077527)
the b20v will make more power all else equal. they just happen to have the nick name "time bomb" for a reason. an itr engine can run to 8500 and often lives 150k+ miles. a b20v is considered a long liver if it makes it 10k miles. when you read posts about guys saying "i ran a b20v for a year" this is often why it was just a year

also this "torque" difference is literally a few ftlb

you want to be fast start buying turbo parts, it's as simple as that.

a stock gsr or itr will live an extremely long life at 300whp boosted if the parts are high end and the tune is spot on

Fair enough...I suppose thats the answer I was looking for. For some reason I was thinking the tq. of a built b20v would be quite a bit more w/the 2l displacement and built bottom/top??? As opposed to that of a stock ITR motor?

Longevity for the win, so I'm back to my previous GSR vote I suppose.

ekcivicdreams 04-14-2011 05:09 PM

type r if your going for the fact of having a type r but be careful of who you pop your hood to. if money isnt an issue type r all day but if your on a budget gsr and over time build it so it doesnt hit you all at once.

cinder0159 04-14-2011 05:10 PM

If you plan on upgrading any of the internals I would just save your money and go with the GSR.