Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

FYI: Emissions Recalled Vehicles and Salvaged Titles...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI: Emissions Recalled Vehicles and Salvaged Titles...

My ex-gf has a 96 Civic LX that was subject to the Emissions Recall that affected many 96-97 Honda and Acura vehicles. One of the provisions of the recall is that the emissions warranty is extended to 15 years/150,000 miles. The car has a salvaged California title and has 140,000 miles on it.

I recently discovered that the exhaust manifold, the type that has the integral catalyst, had cracked where the primary O2 sensor attaches. The check engine light is lit and the code is showing a problem with the Secondary O2 sensor. I took the car the dealer for this and was told that American Honda does not cover salvaged vehicles, despite the the fact that this very dealership had performed the recall work a couple of years ago. They replied that they ended up eating it on the cost because it wasn't checked out when the service was performed, and American Honda would not reimburse the dealership for the work and parts. This exhaust manifold/cat lists for some $450 and has an obvious design defect where the crack occured (that is another problem in itself) so I wasn't going to pay for this when it should be covered.

I called up CARB and was told that salvaged vehicles are also included in the emissions warranty extension, since they are also subject to smog checks. They gave me a number to call at American Honda, and after some discussions where they reiterated their warranty policy and being put on hold for about 10 minutes, they retracted their stance on the salvaged vehicles and admitted that salvaged vehicles must be covered under the extended warranty under Federal Mandate. American Honda went as far as to call up the dealer to where I had been going and explained the car would be back in for warranty service, and everything would be covered.

If anyone has these emissions recalled vehicles, all major emissions parts should be covered for the 15 years/150,000 miles, whether you have a clean title or a salvaged title. If there is any problem, CARB will back you. This problem has already cost American Honda many millions of dollars so they don't want to risk being sanctioned again for failing to fulfill this warranty.

This should also include the infamous a-pipe rattle, as it was changed out in my 97 GSR as well when the recall work was done, also with a salvaged title.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: FYI: Emissions Recalled Vehicles and Salvaged Titles... (roadrunner)

good info
Old 06-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FYI: Emissions Recalled Vehicles and Salvaged Titles... (roadrunner)

good info. my sister has a 97 civic lx and she had the a-pipe replaced at a non-dealership honda place. I wonder if she can get reimbursed for her expenses.

I also wonder if Acura would honor us teg drivers that have the a-pipe rattle also. Hmm, time to do some research and file some complaints.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FYI: Emissions Recalled Vehicles and Salvaged Titles... (Mt3c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mt3c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I also wonder if Acura would honor us teg drivers that have the a-pipe rattle also. Hmm, time to do some research and file some complaints.</TD></TR></TABLE>

keep us updated for the people who are lazy to do their own research
Old 06-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're in California, give a call to CARB and ask what they think. You may be able to convince them that a faulty a-pipe that cracked the internal welds may then be likely to crack on the outside and leak before the cat, and that would prompt them to help you. It's all in the name of reducing smog... =Þ
Old 06-29-2004, 09:44 AM

Default Re: (roadrunner)

it covers 95-96 integras in my area n.j,but they will not fix anything unless u get a CEL that pertains to emissisions related parts...