Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Fuel pump will not prime!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump will not prime!

I have a 1993 integra with an all stock b18a1. Nothing fancy. It all started when I ran her out of fuel a few months ago. When I would try to start the car the fuel pump initially would not prime for several seconds after I pushed the key over. Now it has completely stopped priming no matter how long I wait. I figured I burned up the fuel pump or sucked some scum out of the bottom of the tank and jammed the inner workings so I bought a brand new fuel pump (import direct oreillys brand). I carefully took the fuel tank off and installed the new pump. I even dumped all the old gas out into a bucket and got all the flakey stuff out of the tank. I made sure the screener bag was clean too. Put it all back together with the new pump and the pump still won't prime.

This isn't my first rodeo so next I assumed it was a bad main relay. I went back to oreillys and got a brand new relay and plugged it up. This did not make a difference either. Frustrated to the max, I went through all the ground wires under the hood, cleaned them with a wire brush and fastened them back. Still no prime.

If I turn the key over the starter gives it hell and cranks like crazy but obviously with no fuel coming in it's not gonna start.

What have I missed? I know when you turn the key to "on" the check engine light is supposed to come on with the first relay tick and then you will hear the fuel pump hum through the back seat and then it ticks again and the check engine light is supposed to turn off after the pump primes... but what it is doing instead is just staying solid no matter what position the key is in. No prime, no second tick.

If the fuel pump and relay are brand new, what other conditions could cause the pump to not prime? Could this be a sudden wiring issue that coincidentally arose when I ran out of fuel? I have done frankenstein engine swaps in civics and accords and seen my fair share of problems but I've never been so stumped. I feel like a dope! Please help me guys. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by Darkdays6; 04-07-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Fuel pump will not prime!

Check your fuses!, it could be the PGM-FI systems fuse relay under the dash

Second did you check for spark? .
Old 04-07-2019, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could not find that fuse under the dash... Is it on the drivers side? And no, when I have someone else crank it for me there is no spark going from the plug wire to the plug.

If you are referring to the main relay that is just to the left of the steering column under the dash, it has already been replaced with a brand new one. That was my second bright idea after replacing the fuel pump haha

Last edited by Darkdays6; 04-08-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the area I checked.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: I read on another site that this can be caused by a connection problem inside the distributor. After taking the cap off with the key in the ignition I immediately heard the fuel coming into the fuel rail. Something must have wiggled just right!

I killed all power and removed the distributor and tore it down. It is one of those jankety aftermarket types that doesn't even have a screw going through the rotor (it has a spring clamp holding it on the shaft). After very slowly and gently prying on the rotor with a cloth wrapped flathead screwdriver for about an hour I finally got the rotor off. I removed the dust cover and and started pulling the spade connectors off the little prongs one at a time and slightly crimping them a little more than they were before cleaning the prongs and pushing them back on. I also loosened all the screws on the other end of the wires, cleaned the connection and snugged them down. I put the distributor back on and plugged everything up.

She primed and started the engine on the first try! I let it idle for about ten minutes and cut it off. Then it primed and started just fine a second time.

Here's the kicker though - on the third try it went back to the same old games as before. One relay tick, no prime with a solid check engine light. I feel like I'm getting closer to the root of the problem. Could it really be possible that a raggedy distributor would cause the computer to shut down fuel flow? Anyone know what all input the ecu needs to tell the pump to prime or not prime?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Trial User

The ECU could be the issue, not just the inputs...
Old 04-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Everything Auto
The ECU could be the issue, not just the input0s...
I hope you're not right but I think you might be. I do have the notorious windshield leak that most integras of this generation get. It soaks the passenger floorboard every time it rains.

I started it the first thing this morning and it ran for a minute and died - would not prime or start again.

Ughhhh these cars are getting so old that it's getting really hard to find a matching ecu in good condition. I love the car and it was super reliable before all this funnybusiness. She drove me 80 miles to/from work everyday and even to other states but now I'm afraid to take it out of the driveway.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try a new ICM and also Test the Coil first
Old 04-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Try a new ICM and also Test the Coil first
Will do. Thanks
Old 04-14-2019, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Darkdays6
Will do. Thanks
Try a new ignition coil they usually go out first, its very common, go to the auto shop and grab one they usually come with a lifetime warranty
Old 04-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Try a new ignition coil they usually go out first, its very common, go to the auto shop and grab one they usually come with a lifetime warranty
I put a new ignition coil in and it made no difference. I'm running out of things to blame besides the ECU. Does anyone have any good resources for where to get a replacement? Used or remanufactured doesn't matter to me as long as it works. It's a DA9 5 speed
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Post on the WTB section here on Honda-tech. Check out all of the local Facebook Honda groups around you. Check out Craigslist and search all of the surrounding Craigslist areas too. Call around to salvage yards in your area.
Edit: I forgot to add the most likely place to find one, Ebay. Just search for things like: 37820-pr4, pr4, DA9 ecu, etc. Actually, here is your exact ecu - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F11 3706407810
Old 05-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmark1
Post on the WTB section here on Honda-tech. Check out all of the local Facebook Honda groups around you. Check out Craigslist and search all of the surrounding Craigslist areas too. Call around to salvage yards in your area.
Edit: I forgot to add the most likely place to find one, Ebay. Just search for things like: 37820-pr4, pr4, DA9 ecu, etc. Actually, here is your exact ecu - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113706407810
Thanks! You are much appreciated.